hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
They’ve moved the LED boards closer to the actual boundary, which means the ugly exposed concrete is visible. Looks pretty awful.

Are they doing works at the ground? Not sure why this change would’ve been made.
They've taken out the front 5 rows or so of "temporary" seating which is placed over the dirt track used during the Easter Show. So the led boards are in about their usual place, just without a few rows of seats directly behind them. This is SOP for GWS games right before/after Easter.

Should they start getting near-capacity crowds it'll be interesting to see if this is handled differently.

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
They’ve moved the LED boards closer to the actual boundary, which means the ugly exposed concrete is visible. Looks pretty awful.

Are they doing works at the ground? Not sure why this change would’ve been made.
the ugly exposed concrete is behind the front rows of seating, removed at showtime to give the holden precision driving team more room to rip up the turf - oh and the cows - they need room too.

when the show is over and the turf re-laid, that seating will go back in and you won't see the concrete wall.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
What's the rough shelf life of this stadium? A quick gander at the map tells me there's a suburban oval next to Western Sydney Stadium, maybe in a few decades GWS could build a stadium there.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
What's the rough shelf life of this stadium? A quick gander at the map tells me there's a suburban oval next to Western Sydney Stadium, maybe in a few decades GWS could build a stadium there.
GWS have been around for what, nearly ten years? Give it 20 more.

New South Wales – well Sydney – has a hard-on for constantly building new stadiums. The SFS lasted just under 30 years, Parra was probably not much different. All these half-arsed, rickety looking 90s jobs in Newcastle and Wollongong that are in no man's land. They have absolutely no clue on future-proofing stadiums. No one will ever be politically-risky enough to go 'nah, we're doing the Melbourne thing' and going down to four well sized stadiums or just having a bunch of boutiques.

GWS need to sell out every game for maybe four seasons before considering anything else.

By the time they're willing to purpose build GWS a stadium Olympic Park will be a central hub with light rail, metro and heavy rail connections along with a substantial (projection of 25k) permanent population and it'll make more sense to stay put.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
By the time they're willing to purpose build GWS a stadium Olympic Park will be a central hub with light rail, metro and heavy rail connections along with a substantial (projection of 25k) permanent population and it'll make more sense to stay put.
There's the game changer. If the place actually has a proper community surrounding it, it won't feel so sterile like it has done since the Olympics ended.

There's the game changer. If the place actually has a proper community surrounding it, it won't feel so sterile like it has done since the Olympics ended.
Put in a single decent pub instead of a shitty lifeless bar and I'll be there for hours pre-game.

Giants stadium is my favourite away ground but I always thought it would have made more sense to have the ground in Parramatta instead of the Olympic precinct

Giants stadium is my favourite away ground but I always thought it would have made more sense to have the ground in Parramatta instead of the Olympic precinct

$$$ and politics. Giants Stadium already existed, and getting a local government to sign off on an AFL stadium was tricky back then. Olympic Park didn't have the latter issue because it's state controlled.

Edit: Trust me, I'd love for it to be in Parramatta. So convenient!

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
All new pub opening soon.

FB_IMG_1566887599602.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pippen94

Cancelled
Jun 12, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
$$$ and politics. Giants Stadium already existed, and getting a local government to sign off on an AFL stadium was tricky back then. Olympic Park didn't have the latter issue because it's state controlled.

New South Wales – well Sydney – has a hard-on for constantly building new stadiums. The SFS lasted just under 30 years, Parra was probably not much different. All these half-arsed, rickety looking 90s jobs in Newcastle and Wollongong that are in no man's land. They have absolutely no clue on future-proofing stadiums. No one will ever be politically-risky enough to go

New South Wales – well Sydney – has a hard-on for constantly building new stadiums. The SFS lasted just under 30 years, Parra was probably not much different. All these half-arsed, rickety looking 90s jobs in Newcastle and Wollongong that are in no man's land. They have absolutely no clue on future-proofing stadiums. No one will ever be politically-risky enough to go 'nah, we're doing the Melbourne thing' and going down to four well sized stadiums or just having a bunch of boutiques.

GWS need to sell out every game for maybe four seasons before considering anything else.

'nah, we're doing the Melbourne thing' and going down to four well sized stadiums or just having a bunch of boutiques.

You know nothing about the geography of NSW & Sydney.

Pippen94

Cancelled
Jun 12, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
That's part of Parramatta Park - it won't happen.

Pippen94

Cancelled
Jun 12, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Classic repartee.
Sydney is polycentric meaning it has more than one town center for example Parramatta, Campbelltown, Penrith etc. These places are some distance from each other & cbd. Also, places like Northern Beaches are isolated from rest due to lack of transport links. Rationalizing stadiums won't work here.

Pippen94

Cancelled
Jun 12, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Newcastle stadium has been renovated piecemeal since 2005 - one of the best rectangular venues in country.

Sydney is polycentric meaning it has more than one town center for example Parramatta, Campbelltown, Penrith etc. These places are some distance from each other & cbd. Also, places like Northern Beaches are isolated from rest due to lack of transport links. Rationalizing stadiums won't work here.

I didn't mention stadium rationalization in my post that you quoted.

Someone did

Feel free to point it out:

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
It's a fine modern football stadium. Maybe you're thinking of another venue or you just have no idea.
There is nothing Modern about that stadium.

Is it a good 3rd tier suburban stadium? Yep.

A modern tier 1 or 2? No.

You keep telling people they have no idea But so far you've quoted someone and cussed them of saying something they havent and then brought Newcastle into a discussion about Sydney and the Sydney Showgrounds.

RedV3x

It's about time some mods started being fair
Dec 14, 2015
It's about time some mods started being fair
AFL Club
Fremantle
Aussie Rules, Rugby League, Rugby Union, Association Football, Gridiron, etc. all evolved from a long defunct code of football. They were the same sport with different teams having different rules. They all are football.

Football is a sport classification not a code. Purists say football is sport played on foot (as distinct from horseback) but logically kicking a football should be included in the definition. The honour of the very first football probably goes to Australian aborigines with Marngrook though there were some other ancient football-like games in existence.
In modern times the Gaels were the most organised with sport. Gaelic sports include Hurling, Hockey, Golf and Gaelic Football. Gaelic Football was so organised that they didn't bother writing the rules down. English football was a totally disorganised scrap played as challenges between villages. English schools drew up rules for schoolboy competition.
In Australia, schools experimented with different rules. They were influenced by soccer, rugby, Gaelic Football and Marngrook. We don't know to what degree as gaelic Football hadn't been codified then. Soccer, rugby and Marngrook all had the "fair catch" and "free kick".
With Saturday afternoon becoming free of work in Australia, Australia was first to develop the template of modern football with community football clubs playing in a regular competition for a premiership. Australian Football went from a round ball on a rectangular field, with no tackling and limited handling to what it is today. There was definitely a close resemblance to Gaelic Football at some time as Gaelic Football was codified by an Australian Football player. Gaelic Football then diverged by dropping tackling and keeping the round ball. Association Football dropped general handling of the ball and started appearing more like the modern game of soccer. Rugby from the onset tried to make the game mimic the strategy of war with sides lining up on opposing sides.

Football is a generic term. In mixed company, football, should always be preceded by an adjective to avoid confusion
and as such is a simple courtesy.
Canadian Football and then American Football evolved from pre-codified rugby with the major change of blocking allowed and then one forward pass.
Australian Football didn't evolve from rugby as the first 10 laws of the game were almost identical to Cambridge Rules (soccer) and with Australian Football expressly prohibited throwing of the ball. Hand-passing of the ball in all probability came from Gaelic Football as one of the four writers of the first Australian code was Irish.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back