Delisted Sydney Stack [delisted]

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond haven't been shy in being pretty blunt about Sydney. And they didn't show a lot of interest in trying to play him in to form and fitness in the seniors even after good VFL performances.

I'd be very surprised if he's on an AFL list by the end of the trade period.

Absolutely has the talent for another go, even at Richmond, but I don't think they'll just hand it to him.

Considering where he came from pre draft I actually think he's done a really good job at AFL footy. Hopefully he can dig deep and have another go.

Richmond haven't been shy in being pretty blunt about Sydney. And they didn't show a lot of interest in trying to play him in to form and fitness in the seniors even after good VFL performances.

I'd be very surprised if he's on an AFL list by the end of the trade period.

Absolutely has the talent for another go, even at Richmond, but I don't think they'll just hand it to him.

Considering where he came from pre draft I actually think he's done a really good job at AFL footy. Hopefully he can dig deep and have another go.

He was a bit unlucky too in that sonsie. Ross. Clarke. Etc. Also had decent games around him.

Good luck SS. Hopefully he kicks ass like stengle. Has the ability and can be fun to watch

There would be a number of clubs watching to see if they can pick him up as a delisted FA.
There would be a lot of clubs watching, but how many who would actually think they could get his best out of him?

He can’t go home back to a WA club because he would have to many distractions. He admitted himself it was best for him to move away from WA.

IMO if he isn’t at Richmond, there is only a few clubs that have the recourses for him to make it, and if the others aren’t willing to take the risk then he could be another talent wasted.

Are his off-field issues significant?

No, it's just that every stuffing year he returns to the club way out of shape, and I mean wayyy out. It takes RFC pretty much until the bye to get him fit and this year we just didn't need him.

I don't mind if we give him one more rookie year but that's it for me.

If anyone else wants him they can have him.

Would be a damned shame too. Incredible talent, just no work ethic or professionalism it would seem.

Hope he stays, can play defence and forward
Has all the traits just seems like he hasn't regained the exuberance playing footy

Don't want to see wasted talent, if he does get deli's ted it would be a shame but a bigger lots for any club not considering giving him a 2nd go

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reminds of the type who will do well at a new club initially then relax into nothingness, hard pass.

Hopefully they do. He doesn't lack talent.

Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up having stengle like success.

Reckon your mob could have used him last couple years

Maybe he needs a year playing SANFL on those wages to wake up and realise talent only gets you so far.

He is young and immature with his preparation / lifestyle. One day it might click. Maybe it never will.

Would have thought if he was worth chasing that Collingwood would have been interested given the connections between McRae and Leppitsch.

Or alternatively maybe he could go up with Soldo as steak knives in the GWS deals to join Kingsley.

Would love for Geelong to have a crack. I rate him
Where would you play him?

He's played his best footy with Richmond across half back but given that he doesn't have the height or discipline to lock down he has to be the rebounder and try and play as a loose interceptor. Teams worked him out a bit in his most recent spell in the seniors and dragged him deep to expose that lack of defensive discipline to some effect.

Not sure he fits in Geelong's structure on a half back. He certainly doesn't really have that spot at Richmond with Rioli, Short, Baker and even blokes like Ralphsmith going past him.

Richmond then tried him up forward and he's not bad as a small forward if the ball is going in the right direction. Don't expect him to put hot defensive pressure on though.

Long term he's shown thus far he doesn't have the mental discipline to build a tank to become an onballer, wing or high half forward so I think the ball is really in Sydney's court. He's hit that point where he has coasted by as far as he can on talent but if he's going to be a good AFL player he probably needs to spend a summer with a personal trainer and come back in good shape dedicated to winning a place in the side.

Would be very surprised if he gets picked up by anyone if delisted. Maybe goes home to West Coast if they've got a spot for him?

The kid's a real talent. Be sad to see him fall out of the AFL. There is still a chance the penny will drop but if Richmond can't get him firing it's hard to see too many other clubs believing they will do it

He's in WA with his family.

Either he missed the BNF due to a family emergency (though his insta shows them lounging around the pool, but potentially could have been a death in the family), or he missed the BNF because he knows he isn't being given another contract.

He needs a strong environment (and we have a really strong one for the indigenous boys), it'll be a massive shame if his talent is lost to footy but its a commitment issue with Sydney I think. As someone else posted, I don't think he's started a pre-season with us in even decent shape yet, just puts him so far behind the 8-ball before the season has even started.

Sydney’s story to this point of his life has been a bloody hard road.
The questions over his fitness, dedication to standards has plagued him his whole footballing career.
Off field discipline indiscretions have done nothing but take him back steps each time.

I watched Syd in a lot of vfl footy this year and at times looked frustrated and other times looked like he was playing free and in the moment. But this is the issue with syd. There’s mostly been high highs and low lows. He hasn’t been able to find that consistent headspace which allows him to flourish for extended periods of time.

Richmond has shown with Dan Rioli that the club is a great space for indigenous talent to regather their careers and play elite football. This club could very well be the perfect place for sydney to replicate that. But if sydney is not fully committed to the Melbourne lifestyle and wants to return back to WA then I think he needs to move.

His talent has never been denied and could very easily become one of the games smoothest moving, skilful footballers. Still only 22 years old and 35 games under his belt, the potential is still very high.

Personally I would love to see this young man make it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back