Sydney Stack Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He simply got ahead of himself IMO... and it happens to young blokes with a bit of confidence...

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't... this time it didn't...
100% he had a fantastic first season and a pretty decent pre season as well so came in a little over confident and pre occupied with what footy life brings off field (money, girls and attention)

Needs to re focus this season with doing the basics right and not trying to be a Hollywood every chance he gets

100% he had a fantastic first season and a pretty decent pre season as well so came in a little over confident and pre occupied with what footy life brings off field (money, girls and attention)

Needs to re focus this season with doing the basics right and not trying to be a Hollywood every chance he gets
There were whispers that after he broke up with Monique , they were going to move him back in with dimma, there were off field issues in regard to his liquid intake. He came back from preseason with a beer gut. If it hadn’t been for Covid it would have happened, it’s no coincidence that the first year he was living at dimma s place

Until he get of the frothies his time at the club is limited, the incident at the kebab shop wouldn’t have happened if he hadn’t been on the piss after the club event

There were whispers that after he broke up with Monique , they were going to move him back in with dimma, there were off field issues in regard to his liquid intake. He came back from preseason with a beer gut. If it hadn’t been for Covid it would have happened, it’s no coincidence that the first year he was living at dimma s place
Wouldn’t surprise me
When I was a young buck I had a few break ups and you tend to think whoever you are with are the love of your life and the break ups can result in silly choices

Wouldn’t surprise me
When I was a young buck I had a few break ups and you tend to think whoever you are with are the love of your life and the break ups can result in silly choices
And to be fair Monique wasn’t hit with the ugly stick , she is a bit of allright

Fair few posters here saying that Stack had a sh*t year and I agree. What I would like to know is why?

I don't ride with the theory of '2nd year blues' If a player has talent then he doesn't lose it. Granted he is very young and may have had a bit of difficulty handling the 'star' status of being an AFL player. Still doesn't explain why he was getting caught in tackles and not finding space like he did in his 1st year.

I think that there's probably a couple of things at play here. His first handful of games he played off half back where it is much easier to read the play coming in and participate in the possession chains coming out. His courage in standing under the ball, finding space and bringing in other players was exemplary, his disposal efficiency was off the charts for someone so new to AFL.

He was then moved to the forward line probably as a 'let's see how he goes' trial. Again he proved himself to be above average. Maybe oppo coaches realised that he could be damaging and put a lot more effort into nullifying him. Young bloke has found it much more difficult with the extra attention added to playing in a more difficult position.

Obviously up to the coaches but he needs to get to HB and use those skills that made him such a stand out in his first year.

Pretty simple IMO, lack of fitness effected form and then lack of confidence, confidence is huge especially for a young fella.

What you mean 'no'? I'm advocating that he get's moved to the backline.......

Stats for '19

View attachment 1017142

Stats for '20

View attachment 1017144

I don't recall him playing back this year, but that's a pretty big drop in output......
He completely lost his confidence , was such a daring player in 19 , would intercept with qty overhead marks , really take on the oppo , both in defence and also kicked some seriously good goals , one against gws comes to mind

This year , zippo in those departments. Can’t help but think the kid needs to reset his approach to the big league , we’ve got qty leadership around him , the rest is up to Stacky , hope he takes his chance

What you mean 'no'? I'm advocating that he get's moved to the backline.......

Stats for '19

View attachment 1017142

Stats for '20

View attachment 1017144

I don't recall him playing back this year, but that's a pretty big drop in output......
Sorry I should have been more clear. It was in response to your sentence saying “he was above average as a forward”.
IMO he was s**t as soon as he went forward and was terrific HB. I don’t have stats to back it up to be honest just the way I saw it. The flukish half of footy he had against the Saints was the worst thing to happen for his career IMO

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry I should have been more clear. It was in response to your sentence saying “he was above average as a forward”.
IMO he was sh*t as soon as he went forward and was terrific HB. I don’t have stats to back it up to be honest just the way I saw it. The flukish half of footy he had against the Saints was the worst thing to happen for his career IMO
That’s a bit extreme ,played a belter forward v the saints , kicked an unbelievable goal v gws side stepping twice and slotting from 50 . Not as simple as back or forward , he had plenty of chances this year to break out and failed

That’s a bit extreme ,played a belter forward v the saints , kicked an unbelievable goal v gws side stepping twice and slotting from 50 . Not as simple as back or forward , he had plenty of chances this year to break out and failed

almost kicked a ripping second about 5 min later when he hit the post vs gws.

Was the GWS game when he got the ball gave it to Jack who put it in front of stack running into an open goal and stack handballs It to Ellis next to him?

almost kicked a ripping second about 5 min later when he hit the post vs gws.

Was the GWS game when he got the ball gave it to Jack who put it in front of stack running into an open goal and stack handballs It to Ellis next to him?
Not sure ,can also recall a great goal v Freo bursting thru the centre sq . He played well up forward too , let’s not kid ourselves

Not sure ,can also recall a great goal v Freo bursting thru the centre sq . He played well up forward too , let’s not kid ourselves

He is ridiculously talented. The real question is can he be a professional?

I hope so, cos he and Bolton is an exciting double act for the next decade, add in Graham and Ross to be the grunt and our midfield is in good hands.

IMO he was sh*t as soon as he went forward and was terrific HB. I don’t have stats to back it up to be honest just the way I saw it. The flukish half of footy he had against the Saints was the worst thing to happen for his career IMO
Pretty sure Champion Data had him ranked higher in his time playing forward than they did when he was playing back.

I'm sure that will just get a response about stats being a true reflection of the game, but perhaps he was doing more up forward than you noticed too.

Pretty sure Champion Data had him ranked higher in his time playing forward than they did when he was playing back.

I'm sure that will just get a response about stats being a true reflection of the game, but perhaps he was doing more up forward than you noticed too.

Perhaps he did. I loved him back, he was a real spark that year and gave a glimmer of hope in those dark injury days. As I saidI have no stats to back it up just my subjective opinion. Thought he was poor as a forward after the saints game. Literally seemed like the confidence he gained from playing well in the backline took some time to be eroded playing forward. Just my gut feel rather than anything statistical

Stack cost Stack a gf spot. He was shocking this year. CCJ probably would've played at least a few games after Soldo went down if he was available.
A lot of players couldn't handle the hub , it's not surprising things like this happened .
Stack's in a hub, no girlfriend , not playing .
Higgins looked pretty peed off as well.

He kicked some good goals from half back as well. He did well forward, but he really is a gun with the ball in hand slicing through with space in front of him. Such a creative kick seems a bit of a waste in the forward line. He is a better player than Short who just won out B & F from the half back.

Liam McBean was meant to be a super player and was on the list for 6 years I think.
I can see the same for CCJ.
Re-cycled and rookied ruckman are the way to go unless there is a Tim English type available.

Then you have no idea how good CCJ really is, he will either break into our side or play for another team.

He kicked some good goals from half back as well. He did well forward, but he really is a gun with the ball in hand slicing through with space in front of him. Such a creative kick seems a bit of a waste in the forward line. He is a better player than Short who just won out B & F from the half back.
You're delusional if you think Stack is better than the player who won our B&F in a premiership year. He might have a higher ceiling, but he's not even close with regard current skill/application/professionalism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back