Sydney Stack Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
discipline?

Nurses are getting fined thousands for having a coffee on a park bench.

Kids are not allowed to see parents dying of cancer.
And according to the Coate report, 85% of nursing home residents died alone with no family or friends present.
To me that was easily the greatest tradgety of the entire episode.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
discipline?

Nurses are getting fined thousands for having a coffee on a park bench.

Kids are not allowed to see parents dying of cancer.
I get that, I'm not stupid. But the country has managed very well without the heavy hand that WA has handed out. We have had 909 deaths in total, 820 in Victoria, whilst ACT 3, NT 0, Qld 6, SA 4, have all managed lower numbers than WA 9 without the heavy handedness. It doesn't seem to justify the actions.
We live in paradise compared to what is going on around the world.

Hank Heavenly

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Apr 10, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
East Fremantle
That's a bit irrelevant to this case.He was only meant to quaranteen in WA on a technicality that he came through Adelaide airport.
The true covidiots are the anti-maskers and the anti-lockdown zealots like Jeff Kennett.
Thats what all quarantine directives are aren't
She was coming from Victoria where the UK strain is and will serve less time and not over Christmas.
Plus she doesn't have mental health issues so it's not a good comparison.
How do you knwo she doesn't have mental health issues...
And what confirmed MHI does Sydney have, I must have missed that.
And timing of being jailed is irrelevant, Xmas or not, you don't know what time of year is important to people...

A known quarantine dodger who skipped nominated address on purpose is remanded in custody... SAME SAME...

Don't go making out Sydney is being dealt a harder card here.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond

And timing of being jailed is irrelevant, Xmas or not, you don't know what time of year is important to people...

A known quarantine dodger who skipped nominated address on purpose is remanded in custody... SAME SAME...

Not in WA, Stack is not being dealt a harsh hand. But it is still a harsh hand when you compare it with what is going on elsewhere. He only has himself to blame, but I bet he never once thought it would lead to where it has. Could live with the quarantine in jail etc, but really a court case 3 months later. Are they really going to jail him some more. Just pay the fine and get on with live. It seems so excessive.

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Not in WA, Stack is not being dealt a harsh hand. But it is still a harsh hand when you compare it with what is going on elsewhere. He only has himself to blame, but I bet he never once thought it would lead to where it has. Could live with the quarantine in jail etc, but really a court case 3 months later. Are they really going to jail him some more. Just pay the fine and get on with live. It seems so excessive.
The court case 3 months later was his lawyers doing obviously with Stack and his advisers approval.
It could have already be done and dusted, but they were the ones who chose the delay.

Oct 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond

I barrack for Richmond and support Sydney Stack.
Most people thought he was dealt a harsh hand.

Hank Heavenly

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Apr 10, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
East Fremantle
I barrack for Richmond and support Sydney Stack.
Most people thought he was dealt a harsh hand.
I barrack for Richmond and Support Sydney Stack also.

I also think the penalty is quite harsh in general...

HOWEVER I do nit sit here and say Sydney was treated any worse than another person breaking the same rules, nor do I think none of this is Sydney's fault.

The biggest reality in ALL of this is:

IF Sydney just did his time in quarantine like 100's of other people have, he would not have got into trouble in the first place PERIOD!!!

Supporting Richmond, does not mean I make excuses for Richmond players when they transgress.

And according to the Coate report, 85% of nursing home residents died alone with no family or friends present.
To me that was easily the greatest tradgety of the entire episode.

That comment stands on its own - not as some sort of counter argument.

Why on earth would they do that, it doesn't make any sense.

It doesn't because we don;t know all the circumstances. We may with the fullness of time. Let's hope that any councelling that could coincide with these assessments are seen to be truly beneficial to Sydney the man, because it may well make Sydney the footballer all the more enduing for RFC.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond

HOWEVER I do nit sit here and say Sydney was treated any worse than another person breaking the same rules, nor do I think none of this is Sydney's fault.

IF Sydney just did his time in quarantine like 100's of other people have, he would not have got into trouble in the first place PERIOD!!!

Supporting Richmond, does not mean I make excuses for Richmond players when they transgress.
But Sydney has been deal a far harsher hand than just about anyone in the country bar a few. Considering the low degree of his breach, extremely harshly.

Lord of the Wings

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2020
Pacific Island
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tigers

100's of thousands of other people. Me included x2.

Hank Heavenly

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Apr 10, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
East Fremantle
But Sydney has been deal a far harsher hand than just about anyone in the country bar a few. Considering the low degree of his breach, extremely harshly.
In the country = Yes
In WA = No

Again, do I think the punishment is too harsh in general = YES
But do I have sympathy for Sydney for breaking the rules and copping the consequences of that jurisdiction, not really, granted I do acknowledge it's dragged on well longer than it should.

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
It doesn't because we don;t know all the circumstances. We may with the fullness of time. Let's hope that any councelling that could coincide with these assessments are seen to be truly beneficial to Sydney the man, because it may well make Sydney the footballer all the more enduing for RFC.

It does, because we do know the circumstance.

Court records show his solicitor requested pre sentence and psychological reports to be made and presented, and that typically takes 6 weeks to compile. Thats why the magistrate adjourned it until March

JackGraham

If he kicks it we win
Nov 1, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
This thread is like an online trial by ordeal. When the day finally comes that the club makes a decision on Stack, some posters will spontaneously combust and others will be proven to be witches.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
This thread is like an online trial by ordeal. When the day finally comes that the club makes a decision on Stack, some posters will spontaneously combust and others will be proven to be witches.
The club has made it's decision on club, sticking by him, has said so on numerous occasions. Of course that would be under conditions like he doesn't come back like a fat potato.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond

Court records show his solicitor requested pre sentence and psychological reports to be made and presented, and that typically takes 6 weeks to compile. Thats why the magistrate adjourned it until March
What reason do you suppose they would do that? Maybe he facing jail time and they wanted something like a psychological report that might help mitigate that. I can think of no other reason. The footy club would want him back asap, unless they are telling porkies.

Not Important

never test the depth of water with both feet.
Oct 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
taking a lead from dimma's interview on s.e.n it looks like club has made a decision. that is we stick with him.

Rubbish, unless you are a mind reader. We don't know exactly why the Solicitor requested that and I presume you don't either? That's why it doesn't make sense yet to Grrr, and he's entitled to say that with the absence of reason. It probably makes sense or will in the fullness of time if we get to hear, see or read the reports. Everyone understands the rest of it.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers

I was about to post almost exactly the same thing

* Sydney Stack is an idiot mainly due to his immaturity and desire to show off
* Sydney Stack broke the law and should have to pay the price for this
* Price and penalty is very extreme but they didnt make it up as they went along it was in place prior to this incident
* I believe he should have been able to travel back to melbourne and his lawyer represent him in court at the due date as he will most likely just get a fine

** In saying all this i hope he does mature and realize that breaking the law has consequences and he wont get away with it just because he is good at football or has money tp pay his way out. I think this in the long run could be the best thing that could have happened to him and accelerated his maturity and will be more grateful for his position in society and the privilege of being an AFL footballer and be more compliant in the future.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers

I dont agree with this part of your post , We are all Richmond supporters and all want every player in the team to do well and become a champion of the club that 'Wants to be a Richmond player'

But that doesnt give them unconditional support or backing for everything they do in life

I think you are having a bit of fun with that. Nearly everyone who has commented on here believes he was in the wrong. The differences lay with some people thinking he has been penalised too harshly through circumstance, or, he is deserving of all penalties that will be-set him. A few have even called for him to be sacked from RFC, and they might be the only ones 'combusting' as you playfully put it, because all the signs so far are that he still has the support of those that matter.

Every day I turn left out of the petrol station and drive the 500m to the roundabout to travel back past the petrol station toward home because I realise it is not that hard to comply with this simple rule of not crossing a double unbroken line that stops a right hand turn out of the petrol station. I've gone right on two rare occasions. Every day though, hundreds risk it, as they risk the property and worse still, the lives of fellow drivers and their passengers. They all carry varying degrees of knowledge that shift from 'barely aware' to being a massive 'risk taker' at heart.

I think of these people and wonder how different are they really from Sydney Stack. I also think of the likely 10s of thousands who have technically or abjectly breached a Covid quarantine or travel protocol. Like Sydney, many may have been stopped from travelling to where they need or want to be. Precious few will have had to be in jail for it.

It's OK that some think its OK - just as it's OK some of us would rather there was a better way than jail.

I still wish Stacky the best outcome possible, not because he is a Richmond Man, because he is human like me trying to make sense of a sometimes confusing world. I'd want the same thing for you too Baz!;)

Last edited:
May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
What reason do you suppose they would do that? Maybe he facing jail time and they wanted something like a psychological report that might help mitigate that. I can think of no other reason. The footy club would want him back asap, unless they are telling porkies.
How would i know.
Im just stating factual court reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back