Sydney Stack Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those suggesting we need to take him back and give him additional support, where is that money gonna come from? Serious question. We just slashed millions out of our budget. Because to do it, we would have to cut further out from coaching or another resource. Just curious to see the responses.

No it wouldn't, it would remove a constant distraction that has consistently been in trouble since the start of 2020.

Jake Aarts played 14 games this year & Mabior Chol played 11 games this year, I guess that makes both of them hard to replace too.

Which gangsters is Martin constantly hanging out with?

Due to the $100k fine we had to let people in the football department go as we could no longer afford to keep them without going over the soft cap and incurring a penalty.

Stack is very much the same as Connors, a talented kid who keeps making stupid decisions and finding himself in trouble because he can't control himself when away from the club or when alcohol is involved. Much like Connors Stack has been given multiple chances and keeps throwing it back in the clubs face by making the wrong decisions time and again. As I said this morning I would like to see the club either bring Stack back to Melbourne or have a Zoom meeting with him and his manager and put it to him bluntly, these are the conditions for keeping your career and if you don't agree/can't stick to them then see you later.

As for the comparisons with Martins indiscretions, the main one was the chopstick incident and a police/AFL investigation found that he did nothing wrong, he had other issues early on that involved Connors and when it was put to Martin that he was in danger of throwing away his career, he knuckled down and became one of the games present day greats. He has dedicated himself to getting the most out of his career and shows up year after year in better shape than the year before. Stack isn't doing that, he is showing up in poor condition and as a result struggles to keep up with guys in the rehab group. That's not dedicating himself to being the best possible footballer. I suggested last week that his poor conditioning could be that he is a poor trainer when left to train on his own, but the more and more information that comes out the more and more it appears that Stack is all about the good times and not the hard work and sacrifices that are required to have a long and successful career.

Aarts was very influential this season.

Chol wouldn't have played two finals if we had a number of alternative available

For those suggesting we need to take him back and give him additional support, where is that money gonna come from? Serious question. We just slashed millions out of our budget. Because to do it, we would have to cut further out from coaching or another resource. Just curious to see the responses.

Dunno. Does it mean there’s no support though? Surely there’s something which is better than nothing. Plus we have Clarke who’s a first rate human being.

Support doesn’t necessarily mean having to go to outside professionals - it could be done with what we have. Plus not being in Perth is a good start.

I know where you’re coming from though. Can lead a horse to water. I’m for giving him another chance. But that’s it

Thats got fu** all to do with initially ******* up though, which he has done repeatedly.

If he f’ed up in Vic, he wouldn't go to jail. He does over there. That sucks, agree.

But it doesn't change the fact that again, he. f’ed. up.

That is not WA's fault, no matter how much you wanna twist it. I mean, did WA buy his kebab for him too?

Western Australia jails black males at more than eight times the rate of South Africa during Apartheid.

If no WAs fault, then who's fault is it?

The start of the Marlion Pickett book gives a pretty good yet sad look at the socio economic conditions and history

Don't post misleading BS please Baz. Black deaths in custody in Auatralia is an international disgrace.
Even though most of those deaths were natural causes? Prisoner on prisoner violence & some suicides.
Statistically you have more chance of dying being of Anglo Saxon decent in prison.

This speaks to his attitude and ability to follow rules. I don't give a rats a@se about covid breaches but I do care that he just doesn't seem to have any respect for those that continue to support him. He just doesn't appear to learn from his mistakes either.

I had high hopes that Stack would replace Houli in the future. He has an incredible amount of talent but he just doesn't seem to understand that these breaches doesn't just affect him but also the reputation of the club. He, and our club as a result, has lost respect because of his actions and he has become an easy target for the haters.

I hope he can see the light but honestly think he is going to be one of those sad stories of wasted talent. I really hope I'm wrong. I truly do but he has a lot to do before he can regain the trust of his peers and the club as a whole.

Dunno. Does it mean there’s no support though? Surely there’s something which is better than nothing. Plus we have Clarke who’s a first rate human being.

Support doesn’t necessarily mean having to go to outside professionals - it could be done with what we have. Plus not being in Perth is a good start.

I know where you’re coming from though. Can lead a horse to water. I’m for giving him another chance. But that’s it

The bucket of money the footy department has is all there is. I would imagine people are stretched as it is (people doing over and above).
There would be support for the players budgeted in. But we have people here saying he basically needs a minder. I don’t see how it can be done.

The bucket of money the footy department has is all there is. I would imagine people are stretched as it is (people doing over and above).
There would be support for the players budgeted in. But we have people here saying he basically needs a minder. I don’t see how it can be done.

Nah no way. He needs to be taught life skills which I’m sure the club has already done. It’s now about keeping him around the guys that role model the behaviour. It’ll be the leaders and the indigenous guys that will do it.

If peer support doesn’t work then I’m not sure what else will. Anecdotally I’ve heard from a few people that he’s on the nose a bit because of his behaviour in any event. So he’s coming from a long way back with my suggestion anyway

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May not be that simple either
Maybe Clarke dosent want him staying with him? We can’t just except our coach’s or other staff members to have these guys long term especially if they don’t necessarily have the skills to deal with whatever stack might be facing

So you're saying Stack played 16 games in a row then has a discipline issue, and instead of the club disciplining him for the round 20 game, they instead get him to sign a new improved contract on the Thursday morning then send him straight to start training and tell him to fake a calf injury then limp off?

As Shane Warne once said, that's from outer space.

"Stack was part of the Tigers’ warm-up for around 10 minutes before pulling up and pointing to his calf during a discussion with club officials.

He then limped off the track."
I must of got my timeline mixed up I was certain he was dropped at another point before the calf incident at training

Western Australia jails black males at more than eight times the rate of South Africa during Apartheid.

If no WAs fault, then who's fault is it?

The start of the Marlion Pickett book gives a pretty good yet sad look at the socio economic conditions and history

Start a thread on WA injustice. It's a valid topic. But it's got nothing to do with a footballer breaking covid rules.

Breaking covid rules isn't WA bias. It's dumb, repeatedly so, dumb behaviour.

Just like all the other young players that make dumb mistakes.

May not be that simple either
Maybe Clarke dosent want him staying with him? We can’t just except our coach’s or other staff members to have these guys long term especially if they don’t necessarily have the skills to deal with whatever stack might be facing

Nah doesn’t mean staying with him. Sometimes it’s just setting goals and expectations and meeting regularly to check in. Like I said to CB17 it’s not one person’s responsibility. Takes a village to raise a child.

Nah no way. He needs to be taught life skills which I’m sure the club has already done. It’s now about keeping him around the guys that role model the behaviour. It’ll be the leaders and the indigenous guys that will do it.

If peer support doesn’t work then I’m not sure what else will. Anecdotally I’ve heard from a few people that he’s on the nose a bit because of his behaviour in any event. So he’s coming from a long way back with my suggestion anyway

I agree as i reckon he wouldn’t have the respect of the playing group. I was talking with a friend today and we were commenting on the role models and leaders at the club who he can learn from. From Shedda, Rioli and Marloin to Cotch, Jack etc. It’s mind blowing. Yet, behaviourally nothing is changing.
Even take footy out of the equation, it’s a harsh world out there, i hope whatever happens, the kid ends up okay.
Honestly, I can’t pick which way this is gonna go. But, the courts may make the decision for the club. Just remarkable we are talking about this 4 days from x mas. Mind blowing.

Nah doesn’t mean staying with him. Sometimes it’s just setting goals and expectations and meeting regularly to check in. Like I said to CB17 it’s not one person’s responsibility. Takes a village to raise a child.
I dare say these types of things would already be in place

Like others mentioned his initial covid breach was in an AFL hub surrounded by team mates, coaches and club officials and one of the most controlled environments possible and he still manages to find himself in trouble

I dare say these types of things would already be in place

Like others mentioned his initial covid breach was in an AFL hub surrounded by team mates, coaches and club officials and one of the most controlled environments possible and he still manages to find himself in trouble

Yeah fair point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back