Recommitted Sydney Stack [re-signed for 2022]

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
His off-field stuff is pretty redeemable IMO. Obvious talent, and can play a variety of positions.

Doubt he leaves Richmond though. I suspect he'll have to earn the trust of the group back and do a big pre-season, but I don't think the Tigers will let him go.

There would be half a dozen interested teams if he is told to explore his options though.
in the grand scheme of things, his indiscretion is not that bad. completely unacceptable in the current climate, but its not like he is a club captain caught drink driving, broke his ankle jumping the fence fleeing police, assaulted a taxi driver because he didnt want to pay the fare, got caught dealing drugs, drove around with gangsters on hits, raped someone, broke state law by smuggling someone into quarantine (still not sure how thats a lesser penalty) etc. he got in a fight defending a mate who got king hit outside a kebab shop. he should be made to pay at least part of the fine, and he needs to work his ass off for the club, but there would be many footy players without a job if that level of indiscretion was a sackable offence.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
That is just another assertion. Your opinion has zero weight.

We just canned McCarthy and apparently shopping Hogan around. We don't want him, you keep him.

And yours ?

act is you dont know anymore than i do but i base my opinion on cost and talent, If he was deslisted he would have 17 clubs knocking on his door including yours

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
And yours ?

act is you dont know anymore than i do but i base my opinion on cost and talent, If he was deslisted he would have 17 clubs knocking on his door including yours
You already dismissed mine so now we are at a point where there is nothing left to say.

And yet there is another assertion. You can't dismiss my assertion and expect me to pay attention to yours.

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
17 recruiters now saying we told you so
Those 17 recruiters could have still picked him up in the rookie draft after Richmonds pick if Richmond passed on him.

Was a first offenc for Sidebum.

Stack has a history of poor behaviour.
Hence why he never went early in the draft.

I'd like him at WC but we are a risk adverse club.
I doubt we'd go near him.

What history?

As a kid he had a tough life. As an AFL player he's been really good.

LoBu

Club Legend
Dec 4, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Was a first offenc for Sidebum.

Stack has a history of poor behaviour.
Hence why he never went early in the draft.

I'd like him at WC but we are a risk adverse club.
I doubt we'd go near him.

Possibly, but I don't think that's fair, from an AFL perspective they have committed the same crime but being punished differently. His history is irrelevant IMO, he's not on probation, and anything that happened to him previously he paid for by not being drafted. He worked through that, and it shouldn't be held against him now.

I actually think Sidebottom's offence was worse.

I appreciate that your personal opinion on him might be different.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Unfortunately for Sydney he hasn't played well or long enough to earn the standard elite player discount that applies at the tribunal and in the AFL in general.

Tugga27

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
What history?

I'm not saying he didn't have it tough.

I'd like him at WC but there was a reason he wasn't picked up early in the draft.

He had discipline problems as a junior and was dropped from the under 18 team.

Clubs were concerned about his attitude and work effort.
Even his coach Peter Sumich said it would be better for him to get out of Perth due to disruptive influences.[/QUOTE]

Tugga27

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Possibly, but I don't think that's fair, from an AFL perspective they have committed the same crime but being punished differently. His history is irrelevant IMO, he's not on probation, and anything that happened to him previously he paid for by not being drafted. He worked through that, and it shouldn't be held against him now.

I actually think Sidebottom's offence was worse.

I appreciate that your personal opinion on him might be different.
No, I agree with you up to a point.
It's always been that way though.

The bigger names and clubs generally get looked after better.
If Harry Halfback did what Sidebum did, he would've gotten a lot harsher penalty IMO.

But being a name player from Collingwood helped him.
You can just imagine the deal being done between the AFL and Ed.

It was like when Stephenson got done for betting on the game.
Was suspended until just before the finals.

Is it fair?
No.

Does it happen?
All of the time.

Tugga27

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
As a crows fan I know only too well, thinking Cotchin non-suspension in 2017 GF!
Yep, a classic.

There's an article today in the HS by Barry Hall.
He got suspended in the prelim for an off the ball strike and had it overturned on appeal.

The tribunal deemed it in play when the ball was about 50 meters away.
Even Hall says he shouldn't have gotten off.

I remember Chris Judd when he was playing for Carlton.

Elbow Pavlich in the face. Opened him up and he'd had to have stitches.
MRO said "insufficient force" :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
What history?

Why do you think he wasn’t drafted in his draft year? You even posted you hope he stays on the straight and borrow after heading home in 2018 - after training with you.

Sydney Stack (WA)
Height, Weight: 177cm, 72kg
Profile: One of this draft's most exciting and impactful players. A prolific ball-winner and tackler who hits the ball at speed and accelerates away.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
He was known to have some concerns pre draft, but since joining the AFL system he hadn't put a foot wrong and was really impressing.

Sure he made a poor decision, but its a slip up, I dont think it defines his career at the Tiges, and certainly not in the AFL. I think the Tigers will play tough love and make him really earn his spot back, but if he is traded end of season, which I think is unlikely, he will be picked up. Way too talented not to be.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
No one doubting he can play.

You can down play it all you want but 37k fine, kicked out of the state and 10 game ban is something you can’t down play. The penalties are massive.

He may or may not have had issues? Is that a joke? Why do think he wasn’t draft in his draft year?

So what were his issue's
Maybe i missed the article's was it drugs ? Did he attack somebody ? was he uncoachable ?

Really interested to see what they were and maybe compare them to why kelly didnt get drafted

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
I don't personally, but there is a club employee that gives up information from time to time on our board with a near 100% record who seems to.

Even without that, my unsupported assertion is at least as valid as yours.
So in actual fact we both know nothing and are only presenting our points of view , That why when posters make posts like the know exactly what their clubs or other clubs will do just rings of bulltish.

1 thing i have learnt from posting on this and other football forums is that people who really do know and have contacts at the clubs say just about nothing but just read and give 'slight' opinions but people who say things like 'We wont take him' Goes against our clubs NDP' doesnt fit our culture etc
really have No Idea and just blow noise

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
So what were his issue's
Maybe i missed the article's was it drugs ? Did he attack somebody ? was he uncoachable ?

Really interested to see what they were and maybe compare them to why kelly didnt get drafted

I'm not sure where the comparison with Kelly comes in. Kelly had many years to mature and work on his game before he finally got drafted in his mid 20s. Fairly different to Stack. There are guys that were missed every year and some of them turn out to be good AFL players or better but many more don't - its just we don't remember their names.

As for Stack - there's plenty of legitimate alarm bells. When you don't get drafted due to attitude problems (whether that's fair or not) and then you start to have off-field issues both from a general training and professionalism and other incidents then yeah clubs are going to take note. Its also not fair to pretend that COVID hasn't affected everyone and act like the standards are the exact same as they were a year ago because that's not true. Its not true for regular people and its not true for AFL players either.

Honestly I could see a scenario where this works out in Richmond's favour as it will drive his contract asking price down and if he buckles down and gets his act together then its win win for Richmond and Stack. But its also possible that he's heading towards a premature exit from the game for reasons not related to his AFL talent.

Why do you think he wasn’t drafted in his draft year? You even posted you hope he stays on the straight and borrow after heading home in 2018 - after training with you.

Sydney Stack (WA)
Height, Weight: 177cm, 72kg
Profile: One of this draft's most exciting and impactful players. A prolific ball-winner and tackler who hits the ball at speed and accelerates away.

He wasn't drafted because of perceptions of motivational issues. He missed training sessions, and came to an interview with KFC (or Macca's). His family is full of people in jail, with drug problems etc. How does that mean he's a problem child? He has issues in his past and has worked to get on the straight and narrow. He went out with another player - ex SA captain, super high leadership etc. CCJ really should have known better and not been so stupid. But I suspect that there are dozens of AFL players that have gone into town and gotten and kebab etc. Just these guys got attacked by some drunken idiot and so got 'caught'. They were both stupid and unlucky.

Stack is super talented, nice guy, and not very mature. Sounds like he's fairly normal for his age. What he and CJ did was silly and deserves to be punished. Given this year the 10 weeks is probably right. It doesn't mean he's any sort of drug fuelled crazy guy. Just a kid that did something stupid with a mate. Something most people have done.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
So in actual fact we both know nothing and are only presenting our points of view , That why when posters make posts like the know exactly what their clubs or other clubs will do just rings of bulltish.

1 thing i have learnt from posting on this and other football forums is that people who really do know and have contacts at the clubs say just about nothing but just read and give 'slight' opinions but people who say things like 'We wont take him' Goes against our clubs NDP' doesnt fit our culture etc
really have No Idea and just blow noise
I am not presenting my POV at all. I am passing on someone elses. If you don't believe it, good for you but your rationalisation isn't convincing to me. What you have learned is irrelevant to me.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
[/QUOTE]
You were worried about him staying on the straight and narrow after
He wasn't drafted because of perceptions of motivational issues. He missed training sessions, and came to an interview with KFC (or Macca's). His family is full of people in jail, with drug problems etc. How does that mean he's a problem child? He has issues in his past and has worked to get on the straight and narrow. He went out with another player - ex SA captain, super high leadership etc. CCJ really should have known better and not been so stupid. But I suspect that there are dozens of AFL players that have gone into town and gotten and kebab etc. Just these guys got attacked by some drunken idiot and so got 'caught'. They were both stupid and unlucky.

Stack is super talented, nice guy, and not very mature. Sounds like he's fairly normal for his age. What he and CJ did was silly and deserves to be punished. Given this year the 10 weeks is probably right. It doesn't mean he's any sort of drug fuelled crazy guy. Just a kid that did something stupid with a mate. Something most people have done.

Missing training - turning up with KFC doesn't scream that i'm a professional pick me. If you don't think that is a poor attitude then you are different to every recruiter - even yours passed on him many times before giving him a very late chance.

Issues in the past? Dozens of players went into town for a Kebab? Again is this a joke?

He went to the strippers and ended up in a punch on!! Not sure why your sugar coating this and saying he was unlucky - the penalties he has been given shows the extent of his stupidity.

You were worried about him staying on the straight and narrow after

Missing training - turning up with KFC doesn't scream that i'm a professional pick me. If you don't think that is a poor attitude then you are different to every recruiter - even yours passed on him many times before giving him a very late chance.

Issues in the past? Dozens of players went into town for a Kebab? Again is this a joke?

He went to the strippers and ended up in a punch on!! Not sure why your sugar coating this and saying he was unlucky - the penalties he has been given shows the extent of his stupidity.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah whatever.

They were attacked, look at the film. They we're blasted, the kebab shop owner says so.

they were stupid - yep.

Goodbye

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
So what were his issue's

Before the Tigers drafted him you questioned if he has the long term commitment to training and that his problems are dedication, work ethic and family issues.

You posted of his issues and now you ask what were his issue? Goldfish post at its best.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Before the Tigers drafted him you questioned if he has the long term commitment to training and that his problems are dedication, work ethic and family issues.

You posted of his issues and now you ask what were his issue? Goldfish post at its best.
LOL you see just how silly it all looks when you compare them to stuff that other players have done.

Will the eagles be taking Willie Rioli back ?
What were the reasons why Liam Ryan was passed up for so many year
Tim Kelly what were the reasons behind that ?

Fact is some players do have issue's and Stack's family issue's that effected his training or attendance has nothing to do with this or a reflection of him as a person/Player last 2 years.

For that to even come up is a disgrace

Remove this Banner Ad

Back