Sydney Swans 2019 Season

Swannies in 2019?

• Sink. They've been up consistently for a long time. Their time is up. Longmire's one dimensional

Votes: 94 61.4%
  • Swim. They're like an old war horse that know's how to get it done. Still a dangerous side.

Votes: 18 11.8%
  • Staying afloat. Will make the finals, but won't have a say in serious matters in 2019

Votes: 41 26.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Feels like their talismen’s best football is probably behind them - Kennedy Franklin McVeigh whilst Grundys important for them - they have the players to replace them in Heeney and Mills it’s just a natural progression until they step up (or at least are probably likely to step up) - but they seem to have a few list cloggers which is a common problem in the league. I think guys like Papley Hayward Hewitt Ronke are players that are only effective in good teams. I think Clarke is in that bracket too. He’s was worth the risk as a signing but imo isn’t a player that strengthens too many squads - even a squad desperate for a bit of run like Sydney. They’re not the guys that are gonna drag you out of the fire when you’re down though.
They need something different out of Longmire - starting to look like the game has passed him by and I’d shop Sam Reid around.
They’ll go mid table this year but have the bones in their squad to be back amongst it pretty soon

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Feel like there's parallels to the WCE side of the late 90s; not a s**t side but playing a style that's getting a bit old, not a lot of speed. They'll be somewhere in around 6-8 this year again, they'll exit pretty early in September, again.

Feel like there's parallels to the WCE side of the late 90s; not a s**t side but playing a style that's getting a bit old, not a lot of speed. They'll be somewhere in around 6-8 this year again, they'll exit pretty early in September, again.
They won’t get near the 8. They can’t win at home and will struggle away. 8-10 wins max.

Geezer, hope Watts is okay, that looked horrible, and i can't help but love the lad. Port will get up, but very happy and satisfied with Carlton's four quarter effort with pressure and defensive intensity (chasing/tackling etc)

Sydney won’t make the 8. They struggle to kick a winning score. Franklin has to fire every game for them to get anywhere near it.

Ugh, gremlins in my phone browser. Apologises

Don't worry. I have done something similar before, but worse, as I remember having two game day threads open, one on the main board, the other of the team that was currently being pumped. I was not paying attention and accidentally posted in the thread of the team being destroyed.

Feels like their talismen’s best football is probably behind them - Kennedy Franklin McVeigh whilst Grundys important for them - they have the players to replace them in Heeney and Mills it’s just a natural progression until they step up (or at least are probably likely to step up) - but they seem to have a few list cloggers which is a common problem in the league. I think guys like Papley Hayward Hewitt Ronke are players that are only effective in good teams. I think Clarke is in that bracket too. He’s was worth the risk as a signing but imo isn’t a player that strengthens too many squads - even a squad desperate for a bit of run like Sydney. They’re not the guys that are gonna drag you out of the fire when you’re down though.
They need something different out of Longmire - starting to look like the game has passed him by and I’d shop Sam Reid around.
They’ll go mid table this year but have the bones in their squad to be back amongst it pretty soon

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Hayward the youngest player to kick 50 goals since Lance Franklin - might need to re-consider your statement.

Bloods culture is a myth. Quite simply, they’re a club that built it’s entire organisation around having salary cap advantages.

Like us in the early 90’s, the Swans clearly can’t accept not being able to exploit a financial advantage over the rest of the competition. Their gradual demise will continue until they do

Cooked
Won’t play finals .
Kinnear beatson is good recruiter tho so should at least make use of the higher draft position

Maybe but I'm not liking a few of our early selections recently, way too many flanky type of players. Still haven't even looked to replace our inside mids. Hopefully a top 3-4 pick might do this.

Advice on success and culture from a freo fan, lol

Funny thing is, you are only taking about Success and Culture on Bigfooty.

Good thing you are not talking about Animal Cruelty and Live Export. Bashing a cow to death with a sledge hammer is apparently civilized on the Freo board according to one Freo poster.

Having a cow Tea Bagged to death by Tough Man Tony Abbott, is considered as "Ethical" and "Humane" and an act of "Mercy":)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe but I'm not liking a few of our early selections recently, way too many flanky type of players. Still haven't even looked to replace our inside mids. Hopefully a top 3-4 pick might do this.

They thought they had inside mids sorted a couple of years ago and then Mitchell turned mercenary and Parker, while excellent, never fully developed as a clearance player as expected. You can't cover that with rookies.

and the even worse thing is that I don't even think Adelaide played that well last night. I mean they were okay, but nothing more than that.
Exactly. They were there for the taking.

Buddy to light it up at Marvel next week?

Appreciate many disagree
But this is where the buddy contract pain really starts to kick in.

Getting buddy on huge $ on top of tippets inflated dollars ment this day was always coming

Since his arrival they have shed quality players but more importantly they have
Had now 5 seasons of plodders and fringe players coming in.

His contract has stifled their ability to trade quality players in .

As another poster put it
this has resulted in them having some really promising under 23 year olds from drafting
And some aging champs 29 and over.

The meat of their list is ordinary and buddy’s contract is a big reason why
Not so much Buddy, because who wouldn’t take Buddy if he knocked on the door, but taking Buddy hot on the heels of Tippett caused us to take a punt and there was clearly a big risk in that, as we’re now seeing.

Tippett when fit was a massive asset to the list and a great foil for Buddy, but he was so often injured.

Our list management has been superb for the most part but they went way out on a limb there.

But like I say, anyone knocking back Buddy would worry they were going to be Dick Rowe knocking back The Beatles.

Last edited:
Not so much Buddy, because who wouldn’t take Buddy if he knocked on the door,

People forget that. In 2012 Buddy was never part of the Swans plans but then Buddy approached us, not the other way around, and the Swans had to make some serious changes in our plans in order to fit Buddy into our list management plans and also importantly under the cap.

I can't think of a single team that would not have bent over backwards to take Buddy if he came knocking at the end of 2012, and to be fair to Buddy he has been spectacular since joining the Swans. He is a pure joy to watch.

Last year our season looked better than it deserved to be tbh.Most of our wins was on the back of our backline keeping us in games we should never have been in and then putting one good quarter together to snatch a win. We can no longer play the SCG well and our best players are getting on.

We still maybe to snatch a spot in the finals but I personally can’t see it this year. Hopefully we use the year to get more games into our young kids and not that I have much faith in this happening but Horse trying to figure a new game plan because if we are not going to be contending I at least want to be able to sit through a game and have it watchable.

Bloods culture is a myth. Quite simply, they’re a club that built it’s entire organisation around having salary cap advantages.

Like us in the early 90’s, the Swans clearly can’t accept not being able to exploit a financial advantage over the rest of the competition. Their gradual demise will continue until they do
OK, switch off your device, brush your teeth, and INTO BED!!

2026343fc2b5c21e3e41ff5f27ce27e7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

There will be a big play for Brayden Sier from Swans. He'll be perfect fit for Swans after losing Tom Mitchell. Tippett's contract rolling off in 2019 could also give that salary room breather to get new recruits.

There will be a big play for Brayden Sier from Swans. He'll be perfect fit for Swans after losing Tom Mitchell. Tippett's contract rolling off in 2019 could also give that salary room breather to get new recruits.

How do you know this? Either way going after Collingwood midfielders is actually quite smart since Collingwood have so many midfielders it would be easy to snatch a young one that can't break into the side, sort of like with Craig Bolton not being able to break into the Lions first team.

Back