Sydney Swans 2019 Season

Swannies in 2019?

• Sink. They've been up consistently for a long time. Their time is up. Longmire's one dimensional

Votes: 94 61.4%
  • Swim. They're like an old war horse that know's how to get it done. Still a dangerous side.

Votes: 18 11.8%
  • Staying afloat. Will make the finals, but won't have a say in serious matters in 2019

Votes: 41 26.8%

• Total voters
Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
2026343fc2b5c21e3e41ff5f27ce27e7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

We are actually alive, just brain dead and in a coma. If we can get a brain transplant (ie new coach) we will be much better off as our body is still in pretty good condition.

How do you know this? Either way going after Collingwood midfielders is actually quite smart since Collingwood have so many midfielders it would be easy to snatch a young one that can't break into the side, sort of like with Craig Bolton not being able to break into the Lions first team.

No inside knowledge, just that Sier fits the profile of how Swans got Kennedy from Hawks.
Big bodied inside mid, lacking opportunity, fits a need and yet to put too much runs on board.

There will be a big play for Brayden Sier from Swans. He'll be perfect fit for Swans after losing Tom Mitchell. Tippett's contract rolling off in 2019 could also give that salary room breather to get new recruits.

I’d rather just go to the draft with our picks for once

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Appreciate many disagree
But this is where the buddy contract pain really starts to kick in.

Getting buddy on huge $ on top of tippets inflated dollars ment this day was always coming

Since his arrival they have shed quality players but more importantly they have
Had now 5 seasons of plodders and fringe players coming in.

His contract has stifled their ability to trade quality players in .

As another poster put it
this has resulted in them having some really promising under 23 year olds from drafting
And some aging champs 29 and over.

The meat of their list is ordinary and buddy’s contract is a big reason why
I have said this on many Boards about Kurt tippet. People cracked the shits about Tippet being fitted under the swans salary cap In 2012, the year they won the flag. Heres how the swans fitted him in.

When Barry Hall was traded off at the end of 2009, he would of been on $500-$600,000 a year. Swans got a 32 year old Daniel Bradshaw from Brisbane on a 3 year deal at $600,000 a year for the 2010, 2011 and 2012 seasons. Back then the Salary cap was growing by $400-$600,000 a year

Bradshaw had a good 2010 season, but retired midway in the 2011 season due to injury. Swans still paid for his salary next season. So Then the swans got Kurt Tippet from the crows. Essentially, Tippet replaced Bradshaw.

People bag out Buddy Franklins contract. Well, at least they didn't trade away a lot of draft picks for him. They had to off load players like mumford though. The Salary cap grows every year.

Has Buddy Franklins contract stifled the swans ability to bring quality players in? Well you could say yes ad you could say no, you decide. On one side you can say yes as the swans midfield has been gutted in the last 2 years. Rohan and haneberry left, Mitchell the season before. Yet on the other hand as I posted earlier, they got Kurt tippet despite winning the flag in 2012.

I will briefly talk about freo for a minute. In 2017, there was all this talk about Fyfe being a free agent. Dead certain whether he stays at freo or leaves freo, he would be on over 1 million a year. Fyfe eventually stayed. Has fyfes contract prevented freo getting any players? in the Post pav era, Freo needed a quality tall forward or 2.

In 2018, Fyfes 1st year on his 1 million plus a year deal, freo managed to get Hogan and Rory Lobb on big money. Yes Neale left and he was on $500,000 a year at the dockers before he went to Brisbane. Guys Spurr, Danyle Pearce and Michael Johnson left and they would of got around $400,000 a year each.

Then fringe players like Sheridan, Sutcliffe, Grey and Apeness would of cleared cap space too so that's another $800,000- $1,000,000 cleared up too.

So...... when A team gets rid of 5-7 players a year, 2-4 of them could be 30 year olds on decent coin on around $400,000-$600,000 a year. another 2-4 of them could be younger fringe players on $200,000-$300,000 a year.

I’d rather just go to the draft with our picks for once

Tough market, you can't really go and build from scratch. Swans are very good at getting value from other club fringe players and rookie picks. Why change the model now?

Tough market, you can't really go and build from scratch. Swans are very good at getting value from other club fringe players and rookie picks. Why change the model now?

Sure but they have to be the right players. We need top line mids- they are at the top end of the draft. I’d be happy enough collecting a top 3 pick

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Back on track, for now at least. Melbourne on a Thursday night will be interesting.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Part of the reason why the swans have been competitive is they don't cull the list when they have a bad season. They usually get rid of 3-5 players a year. times that by 3 years and that's 9-15 players. Teams that finish in the bottom get rid of 6-8 players a year. that's between 18-24 player turn over in 3 years essentially turning over a starting 18.
Sure but they have to be the right players. We need top line mids- they are at the top end of the draft. I’d be happy enough collecting a top 3 pick
Swans have got a history of trading in ruckmen from west coast eagles: Jason Ball, Mark Seaby and Callum Sinclair. They had traded in 1st rounders for certain players to fill roles like Ted Richards and Barry Hall.

In the last 10 years, Swans only had one top 10 pick and that was Gary Rohan at pick 7 in 2009. If the swans don't have too many top 10 picks, and constantly make finals. Swans must be doing something right.

Heeney and Mills are top3 and they should be playing midfield. I don't get this obsession around they are needed in forward and defense. Defense should be filled by role players who swans keep nailing from rookie picks and forward line covered with guys like ronke, hayward, papley, rose and hewett. Now you have Blakey added to that list as well.

Heeney and Mills are wasted at either end.

Heeney and Mills are top3 and they should be playing midfield. I don't get this obsession around they are needed in forward and defense. Defense should be filled by role players who swans keep nailing from rookie picks and forward line covered with guys like ronke, hayward, papley, rose and hewett. Now you have Blakey added to that list as well.

Heeney and Mills are wasted at either end.

Don’t get me started on Heeney and Mills not playing midfield. That’s all on the coach

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Cracking game tomorrow night. Swans got their season back on track while the Dees are heading into this fixture under siege.

What do you reckon Swans fans. Confident about tommorow night or sensing a galvanised Demons outfit to outwit you?

Oct 10, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Knights & Jets
My two bobs worth

Really don't think the swans have a team that suits their home ground nor the style they play

The grounds far too short

Gets far too conjested , hence frees paid and frees missed
Umps are instructed to move it on , so we ain't getting 4 ball ups in Row

They really miss a few more Mids , a big body
Guys like Greenwood, seir, wills. A ward. Oliver types

Missing at the moment

Geez mills is struggling

They simply don't have enough power players

How much shorter than the MCG is it?

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Cracking game tomorrow night. Swans got their season back on track while the Dees are heading into this fixture under siege.

What do you reckon Swans fans. Confident about tommorow night or sensing a galvanised Demons outfit to outwit you?

With our midfield it is impossible to be confident against anyone. I hope we will win but I think it is a 50/50 contest.

Looking forward to seeing McInerney play too. A part of me is glad it is not Rowbottom as I think BT is commentating tomorrow and I am not sure I could stomach BT commentating his nephew's first game.

MF

Good Poster, s**t Bloke
Sep 10, 2006
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool FC

I'd rather be facing a 3-0 demons side.

At full strength they'd beat us. As it stands its we're a 50 / 50 chance at home.

Jun 27, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sturt

Both of those. The Dees are getting slaughtered in the media but they have great midfield that generated 70 entries last week. I think we reach 70 entries twice a season. Plus we won more games away than at the SCG last year, surely some kind of record. Then again, who wouldn't be feeling confident after a three-goal triumph over Carlton?

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Both of those. The Dees are getting slaughtered in the media but they have great midfield that generated 70 entries last week. I think we reach 70 entries twice a season. Plus we won more games away than at the SCG last year, surely some kind of record. Then again, who wouldn't be feeling confident after a three-goal triumph over Carlton?

Carlton won the premiership last year. They are a very good team and beating them by a small margin is no doubt a positive sign.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Their 2018 season was inflated by the lucky wins they had towards the end of the year against Pies/Melb/GWS. Moore gets injured early and Buddy gets off the leash, Melbourne dominate the game but taking butchering the footy to a whole new level and Davis like Moore is injured early and Buddy pops off.

They’ve got a fair few good younger players but their 23-29 bracket is pretty average.
Actually round 22 had little to do with Buddy. Parker had a dominant second half and their mids ran the game out harder.
It wasn't luck, but it was reversible.

Last edited:
Back