Sydney Swans 2019 Season

Swannies in 2019?

• Sink. They've been up consistently for a long time. Their time is up. Longmire's one dimensional

Votes: 94 63.9%
  • Swim. They're like an old war horse that know's how to get it done. Still a dangerous side.

Votes: 15 10.2%
  • Staying afloat. Will make the finals, but won't have a say in serious matters in 2019

Votes: 38 25.9%

• Total voters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
AFL Club
GWS
Given how well gws go this year, AFL might get some attention.

On a side note, if I was a swans fan /player , I would be pissed at the though of out of nowhere having 3 new codes come in and take up our training base. The SCG is an oval , I do understand why soccer and rugby need to be played there; particularly since both get low crowds. Yes I know that traditionally it’s an nrl ground but still.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
The Swans chose to hitch their skirt to the SCG. That may well be the right call. In the short term they'll have to wear it.
The SCG trust is the dominant force. There's no way they'll allow the movement of other sports to ANZ or the new Parramatta stadium and make themselves irrelevant during the rebuild.

Bazza97

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Melbourne
Think they're a decent shout to win against the Giants although I can see GWS responding in a big way after their disappointing loss to Fremantle.

RobRocket

Debutant
AFL Club
St Kilda
The Swans chose to hitch their skirt to the SCG. That may well be the right call. In the short term they'll have to wear it.
The SCG trust is the dominant force. There's no way they'll allow the movement of other sports to ANZ or the new Parramatta stadium and make themselves irrelevant during the rebuild.
Sorry but all these other sports barely get 10k at a game If lucky. This billion dollar stadium deal is such a waste of money. It would be so much better for both league and union to get some local exposure and play some games at local grounds whilst waiting for SFS to be build. Same can be said about soccer.
The scg isn’t even designed for any of these sports anymore. And many athletes from these codes always complain about the pitch.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
AFL Club
GWS
Sorry but all these other sports barely get 10k at a game If lucky. This billion dollar stadium deal is such a waste of money. It would be so much better for both league and union to get some local exposure and play some games at local grounds whilst waiting for SFS to be build. Same can be said about soccer.
The scg isn’t even designed for any of these sports anymore. And many athletes from these codes always complain about the pitch.

That Doesn't address what I said though.

Caj

Club Legend
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool
To paraphrase the great Mick Malthouse, looking at our draw I'm struggling to find a game we will win

Just kidding, we've got the Roos in about round 9 I think!

Boppo

Club Legend
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sth Freo
I think their team is one of the younger squads in the field each week strangely enough.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Geelong
Another loss and once again props to many of the Swans fans who forecasted this.

Familiar theme being played here but it's disappointing. The Swans are better than this or at least they used to be. Footy's a funny game and teams fortunes change in a flash. Adelaide, Freo and now Sydney have made Grand Final's in recent times and all have slipped off the radar very quickly afterwards at some point. Freo and Adelaide are at least showing signs they're on the way up again to some degree, now the Swans are sliding.

Melbourne another who've gone from the top to bottom very fast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eshay187

Club Legend
AFL Club
Sydney
Swans made a big investment in winning a flag 2014-2017 and while they got close, they couldn’t pull it off. Everything was geared towards fielding the best team then, deal with the consequences later.

I don’t blame them, this sport is about winning flags, not sitting at 6th every year. It’s not poor recruiting, it was an educated gamble. Boom and bust.

Swans are just bad at the moment, no 22-27 year old talent. Happens when you can’t trade anyone in for 3 years.

Defence is still good, but we can’t keep it on our forward line, we need another good inside mid and we need better skills.

Need two Heeneys really.

Some kids will develop and we’ll slowly work our way back up the ladder.

He said “fielding”. Sydney slides very quickly when you remove McVeigh, Grundy and Buddy from the team and replace them with 10 gamers.

blue harvest

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Swans are just bad at the moment, no 22-27 year old talent. Happens when you can’t trade anyone in for 3 years.
Trade restriction was only for 2 years IIRC and you could still trade in players who weren't above the average wage, something like 350k. I think they relaxed it to something like 450k the second year.

ScottBo

Rookie
AFL Club
Sydney
That list age average doesn't reflect the reality of where the Swans are at. Most of the list veterans (Grundy, Smith, McVeigh and Jack) are out of the side and likely gone at the end of the year. The forward line last night against GWS included an age profile of 18, 19, 19 and a 20 year-old and anchored by a 22-yr-old Heeney playing out of position. We'll be better when the 20-year-old Will Hayward returns. Buddy and Menzel might help as well. I laugh when the commentators repeatedly call us battle-hardened. The team is tracking where it probably should. They'll be ok long-term.

Captivating

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Collingwood
We've prematurely written off the Swans in 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015......

Let's wait until they mathematically can't make finals before we write them off in 2019.

RUNVS

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Sydney
We've prematurely written off the Swans in 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015......

Let's wait until they mathematically can't make finals before we write them off in 2019.
We won't be making the finals.

I just wish that Longmire would play guys like Heeney, Mills and now Rowbottom as midfielders. I have never seen a coach before who absolutely refuses to play young midfielders in the midfield. I mean if Longmire somehow got Sam Walsh into the side this year he would have played Walsh in the forward pocket. Our midfield is ****e, why not leave Heeney, Mills and Rowbottom there and let them develop.

Obeanie1

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
To paraphrase the great Mick Malthouse, looking at our draw I'm struggling to find a game we will win

And the Roos seem to match up well on the Swans recently!!:cool:

Alphonse_

Matching On Together
AFL Club
Carlton
Time for meaningful regime change at that footy club. This season really should be Horse's swansong

RUNVS

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Sydney
Time for meaningful regime change at that footy club. This season really should be Horse's swansong
Should be, but the problem is that unless Longmire walks I can't see him leaving since there is no way the Swans board will sack him.

Noel Gallagher

Club Legend
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
EPL
Pretty simple no COLA no $wans. Don’t hear the media circle jerking about their incredible culture and magnificent bloods culture now. They are well and truly back in the back with an even playing field (even though they have unearthed some absolute gems from the NSW academy) It’s quite funny how they paid massive $$$ to keep on players such as Hannebery and Rohanand then offloaded them as soon as the COLA cash was withdrawn and these two were being seriously overpaid

The Franklin experiment didnt work as they went all in and would no double trade him in a heartbeat if they could get out of the his remaining contract.

Obeanie1

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
Looks like a transition year of sorts. Need an injection of youth and some fresh faces and ideas in the coaching ranks. Either Longmire reinvents himself and his strategies or someone else takes over.

Im rooting for a bottom 4 finish as the Eagles traded in the Swans 2nd rounder for 2019.

Aussie_boy

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea, Redbacks, Adelaide United

And that's in Hobart so I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Obeanie1

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
Pretty simple no COLA no $wans. Don’t hear the media circle jerking about their incredible culture and magnificent bloods culture now. They are well and truly back in the back with an even playing field (even though they have unearthed some absolute gems from the NSW academy) It’s quite funny how they paid massive $$$ to keep on players such as Hannebery and Rohanand then offloaded them as soon as the COLA cash was withdrawn and these two were being seriously overpaid

The Franklin experiment didnt work as they went all in and would no double trade him in a heartbeat if they could get out of the his remaining contract.
Some of what you said is about right, would sound better if you fixed your grammer.

But what the Swans have also done is kick arse with late picks, they have been very good. They need to focus on a dominant ruck, quality mids and pace. The success with their academy and low draft picks have been with flankers forward and back. Need to replenish the engine room.

Top Bottom