Sydney Swans 2019 Season

Swannies in 2019?

• Sink. They've been up consistently for a long time. Their time is up. Longmire's one dimensional

Votes: 94 61.4%
  • Swim. They're like an old war horse that know's how to get it done. Still a dangerous side.

Votes: 18 11.8%
  • Staying afloat. Will make the finals, but won't have a say in serious matters in 2019

Votes: 41 26.8%

• Total voters

Roddy

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 10, 2006
M-Town
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket team.
Didn't they lose their first 4 games and then rally to still make finals in a recent season? People were writing them off then too, do so at your peril.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Didn't they lose their first 4 games and then rally to still make finals in a recent season? People were writing them off then too, do so at your peril.

Difference was in 2017 we had a massive injury list, with players slowly filtering back in during those first 6 games. This year though other than Menzel and Naismith the Swans are almost at full strength. There is no magic bullet coming back into the team to make us better this year.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Without Heeney and Mills in there I strongly believe that the Swans have one of the weakest midfields in the competition. Kennedy is better than last year, but still on the decline, Parker is one of the most overrated players in the AFL in terms of reputation compared to output, Hewett is just a tagger, a very good tagger but still just a tagger, Papley is a forward that Longmire has decided to play in the midfield for some reason, Jack is toast and players like Cunningham and Florent are more outside players.

The only midfield positive we have at the moment is Jones.
Harsh on Parker I think. Jack has been a vdry goid player that seems to have reached his use by date. Kennedy might be on the decline but still so good enough to get a run in most if not all midfield I think.

The Heeney Mills thing is hard to understand, but game tactics are beyond most fans so I think you have to give Longmire the benefit of the doubt.

I still have a wait and see approach with your season overall.

Apr 17, 2006
???
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins(NFL)
Their game plan for the best part of 20 yrs involved getting 4-5 goals up and then strangling the opponent. Teams are now spreading easier and running quicker, so 4-5 goals isn't a match winning lead

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
Their game plan for the best part of 20 yrs involved getting 4-5 goals up and then strangling the opponent. Teams are now spreading easier and running quicker, so 4-5 goals isn't a match winning lead
I think there's a slightly easier explanation - just that their old stars are fading, and there's a gap back to the next batch in terms of talent and maturity.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Surely the AFL brainstrust will think of something 🤔

Flood the SCG with a foot of water, and then only the Swans train in those conditions, so whenever an opposition team comes to the SCG they are suddenly playing in what is essentially a swimming pool with no time being able to practice in those conditions. Sure a few players may drown a week but I think it is a reasonable price to pay for the Swans winning more games.

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Looking awful early in the season and going on to make the finals isn't unheard of for us (2005, 2006, 2014, 2017), but while we have some promising young talent on our list, there are still holes in our midfield and backline, and Sinclair as much as I love his work rate will get monstered by top ruckmen like Gawn.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Disappointing. The Swannies play the game in good spirit and display fighting qualities. RUNV and the rest of the Swans supporters are right. Longmire's one dimensional and needs to go.

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
I don't think many will be sad to see them miss finals this year. They've had a very good run for the last 15 years. But the predictions that many made year after year have finally come to pass. Their best players are in decline and their young players aren't enough to rise up and maintain their position. I still think their future looks just fine and they've been giving games to their kids for a while and they are coming along just not quite ready to lead the club. They've still got clear leaders going forward in Parker and Heeney. Kennedy and Franklin will stick around but they won't return to their peaks, although Buddy is still capable of playing at a higher level than this year and last if he gets a bit more of a preseason.

Probably still a club that could rejuvenate their list quickly with a good preseason and a few astute pickups. So by next year they maybe back in the finals race.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
The benefits of living in an NRL state, is that there’s not going to be any criticism of them in the NSW media or anything.Vic media doesn’t give a s**t about this eithe

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah naaah

That ain't right.

The Vic media like nothing more than sinking the boots into non-vic clubs.

The NSW media probably will largely ignore them. That's arguably the worst outcome for the club in theur home state.

Assuming they do spend the season at the bottom end of the ladder, not a done deal yet.

RobRocket

Debutant
Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yeah naaah

That ain't right.

The Vic media like nothing more than sinking the boots into non-vic clubs.

The NSW media probably will largely ignore them. That's arguably the worst outcome for the club in theur home state.

Assuming they do spend the season at the bottom end of the ladder, not a done deal yet.

Given how well gws go this year, AFL might get some attention.

On a side note, if I was a swans fan /player , I would be pissed at the though of out of nowhere having 3 new codes come in and take up our training base. The SCG is an oval , I do understand why soccer and rugby need to be played there; particularly since both get low crowds. Yes I know that traditionally it’s an nrl ground but still.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back