Sydney Swans 2019 Season

Swannies in 2019?

• Sink. They've been up consistently for a long time. Their time is up. Longmire's one dimensional

Votes: 94 61.4%
  • Swim. They're like an old war horse that know's how to get it done. Still a dangerous side.

Votes: 18 11.8%
  • Staying afloat. Will make the finals, but won't have a say in serious matters in 2019

Votes: 41 26.8%

• Total voters

DaveEgoat

Senior List
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
lol just about every side breached the cap in the same period especially vic sides

Carlton purchseed their flags for a start

we didnt get cola in 93 just a license fee reversal that we had paid twice to fund vic clubs actually, we saved the league going to sydney
Saved the league going to Sydney? Right.........

Blue1980

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
lol just about every side breached the cap in the same period especially vic sides

Carlton purchseed their flags for a start

we didnt get cola in 93 just a license fee reversal that we had paid twice to fund vic clubs actually, we saved the league going to sydney

We weren’t over the cap in any of our flag years, at least officially. Heaps of dodgy salary cap stuff going on everywhere in the 90s.

Mind you I don’t think any side were double their salary cap like the swans were in 87.

Blue1980

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
actually yes, the vfl was near bankruptcy and needed TV revenue, the only way you could show live vfl in Victoria was if it was played interstate, this is the reason South Melbourne moved to Sydney.

Why was it the only way, what laws were there? Or was it just something the vfl at the time didn’t want to do?

brad cooper

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Why was it the only way, what laws were there? Or was it just something the vfl at the time didn’t want to do?
it was law that you couldn't show live vfl back then on TV if it was played in Victoria im not sure if your as old as me, which for your sake I hope your not, but do you ever remember watching carlton play a live game at princess park in 1980 from your couch? No I didn't happen, that's why tv shows like The Winners used be on showing highlights of the days action the same time as Hey Hey Its Saturday

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
We have lulled the competition into exactly where we want them.
Knowing the Swans, the 2019 draft will be an all-timer and they'll pick up a few legends, plus do a vintage Roos-style hacks-to-champions trade frenzy.

I only really started following footy properly in 1995, so I'm not accustomed to a few year rebuild for the Swans. They have the young talent to rise again quickly, just need a series of transfusions and a gameplan rebuild.

Blue1980

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
it was law that you couldn't show live vfl back then on TV if it was played in Victoria im not sure if your as old as me, which for your sake I hope your not, but do you ever remember watching carlton play a live game at princess park in 1980 from your couch? No I didn't happen, that's why tv shows like The Winners used be on showing highlights of the days action the same time as Hey Hey Its Saturday

Only live against the gate home and away game before pay tv times was essendon v collingwood out at waverley on a Sunday in 1990, which was a big deal at the time.

I still think they aren’t allowed to show live games free to air on a Saturday afternoon, and back in 1980 all games were on a Saturday afternoon, there were no night games and Sunday was the domain of the VFA.

It was a different world back then, no Sunday trading until the 90s as well. I’m 38 so I remember how it was when I was a kid.

Blue1980

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
2014 Hawthorn and Sydney were battling for the premiership cup

2019 both teams may end up fighting to NOT be the team that wins the wooden spoon.

That's footy

Happened to us and essendon, by 2006 we were playing in the Bryce Gibbs cup and got a draw!

Pretty arrogant for any set of fans to think they are immune from some time at the bottom.

Btw I don’t think either will win the spoon, id have my mob as favorites for that still.

Pretty simple no COLA no $wans. Don’t hear the media circle jerking about their incredible culture and magnificent bloods culture now. They are well and truly back in the back with an even playing field (even though they have unearthed some absolute gems from the NSW academy) It’s quite funny how they paid massive $$$ to keep on players such as Hannebery and Rohanand then offloaded them as soon as the COLA cash was withdrawn and these two were being seriously overpaid

The Franklin experiment didnt work as they went all in and would no double trade him in a heartbeat if they could get out of the his remaining contract.

Bloods culture was a player driven inniative by Stuart Maxfield that required buy in by the group. Worked very well for the list they had, netting a premiership in 2005 and trailing off with players still on the list. Media portrayed it as something mythical but was just a solid reality check the players bought into and demanded professionalism. Not surprised to see it trail off, hard to keep banging the same message into players. Swans have had to work hard at success after being a known push over for so long. We aren't in terrible shape as we are getting some serious games into the youth. Gonna be a bad year maybe a couple but the mythical bloods culture that every club envies will return, well that's what the media will label it as when the Swans hard work returns them to a competitive club.

Jun 29, 2006
Nthn Beaches
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
BBGFC and LRGC
drift[1].gif

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Well the lad that supports Bombers was spot on last Sunday. He called yet another Dons loss at the SCG.

Gave the Swans a pulse is nothing else.

MF

Good Poster, s**t Bloke
Sep 10, 2006
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
The thing Swans fans tend to forget is that they were crippled by 1993 due to VFL penalties they incurred for cheating the salary cap in 1987. COLA was a bail out package they didn’t really deserve.

The ‘Bloods culture’ myth was conjured up when the rest of the comp started asking questions as to why the Swans were still receiving a ridiculous advantage after the AFL had already pulled them out of the ****
I don't think losing 26 games in a row can be blamed on the loss of a single draft pick.

Well the lad that supports Bombers was spot on last Sunday. He called yet another Dons loss at the SCG.

Gave the Swans a pulse is nothing else.

beating a rubbish team like essendon whilst fun doesnt mean much

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Swannies are going to cause some havoc you'd think from here on in.

Pushed the Pies and could have easily won that game. Gave us a stern test at the Cattery then romped the West Coast. Will put a serious dent in many a side's finals aspirations.

The Gong

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Northern Districts Tigers
Swannies are going to cause some havoc you'd think from here on in.

Pushed the Pies and could have easily won that game. Gave us a stern test at the Cattery then romped the West Coast. Will put a serious dent in many a side's finals aspirations.
If....and this is a very big if....we keep the sort of form we had on the weekend there's only really two games for the rest of the season I think we'd be battling in and that's Geelong and GWS. All the others we'd be a chance to win. Unlikely but hope springs eternal.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
If....and this is a very big if....we keep the sort of form we had on the weekend there's only really two games for the rest of the season I think we'd be battling in and that's Geelong and GWS. All the others we'd be a chance to win. Unlikely but hope springs eternal.
Yep you could make it. Especially if you play the way you have the last month or so. With Freo hosting Port one side will move 3 games clear of you but you have a game in hand. Crunch game with the Hawks which you can't afford to lose and you need no reminding of how close and tough the affairs between you two are. Win that and you're 2 games outside of the 8 which is doable. Lose and three games is too much a gap to overcome.

If you played the way you have of late the Hawks won't topple you. Not many sides would be able to as you mentioned:thumbsu:

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I know it isn't likely but I am very hopeful Buddy will push himself back into the debate for All Australian selection. He looked so much better the last 2 weeks than he has the rest of the season due to injuries and having no preseason. Now he is fit and firing and in terms of goals per game is right up there this year.

Also can't wait to see more of Blakey.

There is a tiny part of me that thinks the Swans can make the finals still, but I am most likely got my Swans glasses on for that one.

I know it isn't likely but I am very hopeful Buddy will push himself back into the debate for All Australian selection. He looked so much better the last 2 weeks than he has the rest of the season due to injuries and having no preseason. Now he is fit and firing and in terms of goals per game is right up there this year.

There is a tiny part of me that thinks the Swans can make the finals still, but I am most likely got my Swans glasses on for that one.

I think Franklin has missed too much football and been too inconsistent to be around AA selection this year. Would have to do something spectacular in the back half of the year (Average above 5 goals a game at least), which will be unlikely as we will still be a very inconsistent side.

Swan's won't make the finals this year, even if we kept up our current run of form there are always going to be weeks where you are quiet or down. Now next year's worth of development into our youngsters and potentially some luck on the injury front it's a different story but we would still need a lot to go right.

The Gong

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Northern Districts Tigers
I think Franklin has missed too much football and been too inconsistent to be around AA selection this year. Would have to do something spectacular in the back half of the year (Average above 5 goals a game at least), which will be unlikely as we will still be a very inconsistent side.

Swan's won't make the finals this year, even if we kept up our current run of form there are always going to be weeks where you are quiet or down. Now next year's worth of development into our youngsters and potentially some luck on the injury front it's a different story but we would still need a lot to go right.
Yeah I'm not realistically thinking finals this year. We've left ourselves too much to do in the back half and a young side will be inconsistent. There'll be a reckoning in a couple of seasons though I think.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong

Nah you can never count the Swannies spirit out combined with their incredible talent + recent form. Buddy could go nuts in the 2nd half of the season if he stays on the park, and if JK, Heeney and Papley continue to shine then you guys could achieve optimum results.

Back