Club Focus Sydney Swans 2023 - Molloy and McEvoy are the newest Swans

AFLW club focus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance

THE FOUR expansion clubs will be able to sign up to 14 current AFLW players in a special 'expansion signing period', in proposed rules released by the AFL on Monday.

Essendon, Hawthorn, Port Adelaide and Sydney will join the NAB AFLW competition ahead of the 2022-23 season, rounding out all 18 clubs.

The AFL hasn’t yet confirmed rules around the number of players per existing club who can move to new clubs.

Last expansion round, Brisbane and Fremantle could lose up to eight players, given Gold Coast and West Coast were entering the competition, with other teams losing up to four.

The new clubs can also acquire players through the following methods:

• Open-age signings: players who have previously nominated for the NAB AFLW Draft and aren’t on a list
  • Under-18 talent from their NGA region. There will be a limit on this category, which is yet to be determined
  • Sign and trade period: following the expansion signing period. Expansion clubs cannot on-trade players they have signed through other mechanisms
  • NAB AFLW Draft
The expansion clubs will receive the first eight picks of the state-based draft, with the order to be determined at random.

They will then receive remaining picks at the end of each round, following the existing 14 clubs.

A number of Essendon and Hawthorn VFLW players nominated for the 2021 draft, making them eligible for signing as an open-age player.

Bombers VFLW skipper and competition best and fairest Georgia Nanscawen opted not to nominate for the 2021 draft, but should be eligible as an open-age signing as she has previously gone through the drafting process.

The AFL has said final list build rules will be determined in 2022.

Like Port, the Swans don't have a second tier women's team to draw on when building their AFLW team. Instead, Sydney have arranged two teams of AFLW hopefuls, the Swans Red from Northern NSW, and Swans White from the Sydney/Illawara region. These two teams then play against GWS's Orange and Charcoal teams in the AFLW NSW/ACT Summer Series.

Fixture (R3 cancelled due to weather)

Ruby Sargent-Wilson is the first player signing!

KMP-W-SSA-GWS-Canberra-Sargent-Wilson-220313-012-2573.webp.jpeg

SYDNEY
U18 academy/zone:
Nil
Open age: Montana Beruldsen (Hawthorn VFLW), Molly Eastman (North Melbourne VFLW), Sarah Ford (Essendon VFLW), Ella Heads (Inner West), Zoe Hurrell (North Shore), Alice Mitchell (Gunnedah), Ruby Sargent-Wilson (Southern Power), Lauren Szigeti (Hawthorn VFLW), Aimee Whelan (Hawthorn (VFLW)
AFLW players (committed, not yet officially signed): Maddy Collier (West Coast), Ally Morphett (GWS), Bec Privitelli (GWS), Lisa Steane (GWS)

Ticky009 the AFLW website did a thing so we at least know how they've been signed. No U18 zone signings yet, which is not what I originally thought!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two more Swans for Sydney’s inaugural AFLW team

Sydney has added two more Swans to the club’s inaugural AFLW team with Brenna Tarrant and Jaide Anthony the latest to commit to the red and white.

Tarrant comes to Sydney from the Melbourne Demons after two seasons in the AFLW. The 19-year-old was recruited by Melbourne with pick No.72 in the 2019 AFLW Draft, and has since played for the Demons 12 times, including three finals.

The Sydneysider admits she’s had a desire to pull on the red and white since she first kicked a football, and is excited by the challenge of building a new team.

“My family and I have followed and supported the Swans for years now – I’ve never wanted anything more than this opportunity,” Tarrant said.

“I’ve been fortunate to have played AFLW over the past couple of years, including having finals experience, so I want to use that experience to help lift team and get us to a level where we can perform really well in our first season – and in the seasons to come.”

Tarrant can play at both ends of the field, and Sydney AFLW coach Scott Gowans said it’s a quality that caught his eye.

“Brenna is a very versatile player, she can play back, mid or forward, and we’ve really gone for her experience in that, playing through all three lines at AFLW level,” Gowans said.

“She’s come from a good program in Melbourne, and we believe she’s got some really good growth in her football that we can utilise.”

Meanwhile Anthony joins the Sydney Swans from the Dandenong Stingrays where she has been on the cusp of AFLW selection for a number of years.

The 18-year-old said she’s thrilled to be joining the Swans.

“I’m so excited to be with the Swans and am so keen to get started. When my manager told me I was joining the club I didn’t believe him, I got quite emotional,” Anthony said.

“It’s been quite a journey, a lot of ups and downs. It was obviously disappointing not to get drafted last year but I put in the hard yards to get here and am just so grateful to get this opportunity.”

Gowans said Anthony is an exciting mid-sized utility player who’s proven tough to beat in one-on-one contests.

“Jaide is a very clever footballer,” Gowans said. “She’s very good at identifying where the ball is going to land and getting there.

“She’s a highly skilled outside player who is able to impact the scoreboard but is also able to go back and play as a defender as well.”

Brenna Tarrant

Recruited from:
Melbourne Demons
Height: 173cm
DOB: 03/11/01
Position: Utility

Jaide Anthony
Recruited from:
Dandenong Stingrays
Height: 166cm
DOB: 20/11/03
Position: Utility

Mar 22, 2001
Sydney, Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Swifts, Arsenal, Ducks
Not such a surprising result to be honest - the giants system is a few years ahead of the Swans one. It'll take time to build and it'd be madness to think the Swans (or any of the last 4 expansion clubs) will seriously challenge in the next couple of seasons. It'd be nice to get a win or two, and develop the team.

Mar 22, 2001
Sydney, Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Swifts, Arsenal, Ducks
It's interesting that there's often a big gap between when the move is announced by the media or the source club, and when it's officially announced by the new club - Lisa Steane was mentioned as leaving GWS back in early April. I wonder if that just means now they've officially agreed to terms, vs "announced intention to go"

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
Think most moves have been agreed between the players and expansion clubs, it’s just a case of working out the announcements to fit around the yet to be announced expansion list rules.

womens.afl reporting that Lexi Hamilton is coming to Sydney, her little sister is Cynthia Hamilton (top prospect in the NSW draft pool) so possibly reunite the sisters at the Swans too.

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney

These are the only 5 current AFLW players that the club itself had confirmed commitments for. Hamilton and Lochland are rumoured but not yet confirmed by the club and Morphett is the same but expected to join during the sign and trade period.

That would leave the 10 Open Age Signing to lodge the paperwork for as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back