Club Focus Sydney Swans 2023 - Molloy and McEvoy are the newest Swans

AFLW club focus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Alice Mitchell and Montana Beruldsen are supposed to have been signed as Open Agers but they haven't been and they aren't mentioned in any of the approved signings. 🤔

I guess you could get them in the draft but it seems kind of weird to announce it that far out for the draft? And the AFLW website does also count them as open age signings so I didn't imagine it.

Ally Morphett not signed either but that one hasn't actually been announced by the club. I think it was the AFLW website that reported it as fact and they are saying it'll be via trade anyway, so maybe tomorrow.

Mar 22, 2001
Sydney, Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Swifts, Arsenal, Ducks
Alice Mitchell and Montana Beruldsen are supposed to have been signed as Open Agers but they haven't been and they aren't mentioned in any of the approved signings. 🤔

I guess you could get them in the draft but it seems kind of weird to announce it that far out for the draft? And the AFLW website does also count them as open age signings so I didn't imagine it.

Ally Morphett not signed either but that one hasn't actually been announced by the club. I think it was the AFLW website that reported it as fact and they are saying it'll be via trade anyway, so maybe tomorrow.

Yeah I was counting through the official names and noted that those names were missing. We already knew that Morphett would need to be a trade, I believe because she was drafted recently. Mitchell and Beruldsen are interesting omissions but I assume it's just because they're still finalising the paperwork and they can be signed at any time, not just during the expansion recruitment period. I know that Montana has been doing stuff with the club - Ladies Lunch a week ago per her instagram (below) so I don't expect there's any issues.

Mitchell and Beruldsen are interesting omissions but I assume it's just because they're still finalising the paperwork and they can be signed at any time, not just during the expansion recruitment period.
The point of the expansion signing period is that's when the finalised paperwork is lodged with AFL HQ and ticked off. They've been announcing "commitments" for ages but they were in-principle, not lodged with the AFL until this past week ending 2pm today.

There's two open agers at Hawthorn that aren't approved signings either, and I think Akec Chuot will be a trade for them. Port and Essendon have lodged everyone they said they were going to before the cut off. I've been keeping track of them all in the draft order spreadsheet.

It's just weird idk.

SYDNEY

B:
Brenna Tarrant, Jaide Anthony
HB: Maddy Collier, Bella Smith, Eliza Vale
C: Lisa Steane, Molly Eastman, Brooke Lochland
HF: Sarah Dargan, Lexi Hamilton, Aliesha Newman
F: Bec Privitelli, Sarah Skinner
Foll: Ally Morphett, Bridie Kennedy, Kiara Beesley
Int from: Sarah Ford, Ella Heads, Lauren Szigeti, Ruby Sargent-Wilson, Zoe Hurrell, Aimee Whelan, Paige Sheppard, Alice Mitchell*, Montana Beruldsen*

* = ineligible for open-age signing as have never previously nominated for the draft. Will now have to be selected through the draft.

While the Swans didn't manage to land their star player despite repeated attempts, they have built a well-balanced squad. They have more than enough options to rotate through the middle (a hallmark of coach Scott Gowans' time at North Melbourne and Collingwood), while Smith and Tarrant can also line up in attack if required. The Swans aren't expected to be overly big players in the draft, having already fleshed out most of their squad.

Mitchell and Beruldsen confirmed not signed yet due to not having nominated for the draft before. So at least that makes sense now!

Yeah that makes more sense. I originally thought we would only use the first 5 picks but now it appears we will use picks 44 and 61 as well to round up the squad.
Yep, it helps that you have the state draft so you don't have to worry about any clubs other than GWS potentially taking a player you want, and I'm not sure how many picks GWS would even use (PMBangers?)

You've currently got 19 confirmed players plus these two that are committed but have to go through the draft, so 9(11) spots to fill. Could potentially go down to round 7 of the draft, which is 17 picks:

Screen Shot 2022-06-12 at 14.45.22.png

We actually have 23 players confirmed plus the 2 we need to now draft. So Just the 5 (7) spots to fill.
I was going by the sticky... who is missing?
Signings so far:
  1. Ruby Sargent-Wilson - Swans Academy (Open Age)
  2. Alice Mitchell - Gunnedah Bulldogs (Open Age)
  3. Maddy Collier - West Coast Eagles (AFLW Sign & Trade)
  4. Sarah Ford - Essendon VFLW (Open Age)
  5. Molly Eastman - North Melbourne VFLW (Open Age)
  6. Lauren Szigeti - Hawthorn VFLW (Open Age)
  7. Aimee Whelan - Hawthorn VFLW (Open Age)
  8. Montana Beruldsen - Hawthorn VFLW (Open Age)
  9. Bec Privitelli - GWS (AFLW Sign & Trade)
  10. Lisa Steane - GWS (AFLW Sign & Trade)
  11. Ally Morphett - GWS (AFLW Sign & Trade)
  12. Zoe Hurrell - North Shore Bombers (Open Age)
  13. Ella Heads - Inner West Magpies (Open Age)
  14. Brenna Tarrant - Melbourne (AFLW Sign & Trade)
  15. Jaide Anthony - Dandenong Stingrays (Open Age)
  16. Bella Smith - Collingwood (AFLW Sign & Trade)
  17. Bridie Kennedy - Carlton (AFLW Sign & Trade)
  18. Sarah Skinner - North Melbourne VFLW (Open Age)
  19. Paige Sheppard - Geelong VFLW (Open Age)
  20. Eliza Vale - Western Bulldogs VFLW (Open Age)
  21. Ally Morphett - GWS Giants (AFLW Sign & Trade)
AFLW: 8 players
Open Age: 13 players
NGA: nil

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
I was going by the sticky... who is missing?

You have Ally Morphett listed twice and you have missing Brooke Lockland, Lexi Hamilton, Sarah Dargan, Aliesha Newman and Kiara Beesley.

Also Bridie Kennedy was an Open Age Signing, not a Sign and Trade. She was delisted by Carlton at the end of 2019.

You have Ally Morphett listed twice and you have missing Brooke Lockland, Lexi Hamilton, Sarah Dargan, Aliesha Newman and Kiara Beesley.

Also Bridie Kennedy was an Open Age Signing, not a Sign and Trade. She was delisted by Carlton at the end of 2019.
Fixed I think, hopefully that's right now. Looks like Morphett was added once when she committed and again when the signing was approved 🤔

So 10 AFLW and 13 Open Age with two players committed to joining Sydney in the draft. And therefore 7 picks in the draft, right?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 22, 2001
Sydney, Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Swifts, Arsenal, Ducks
Gemma Bastiani noted on Twitter the sighting of ex Tiger and Saint, Alana Woodward.
There's definitely 2 extras there - as far as I know we have 23 signed and 2 committed (Beruldsen and Mitchell). So maybe there's a couple of players training with the squad with hopes of being selected in the draft.

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
There's definitely 2 extras there - as far as I know we have 23 signed and 2 committed (Beruldsen and Mitchell). So maybe there's a couple of players training with the squad with hopes of being selected in the draft.

That's a plausibility.

Well we might presume that if Danielle Ponter "could be on the move" as reported, it would be to Port Adelaide or maybe Essendon. But it seems to me she's the player Sydney would be better off chasing, as opposed to Chloe Molloy (who I can't see leaving Collingwood for a long time).

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Well we might presume that if Danielle Ponter "could be on the move" as reported, it would be to Port Adelaide or maybe Essendon. But it seems to me she's the player Sydney would be better off chasing, as opposed to Chloe Molloy (who I can't see leaving Collingwood for a long time).
Agreed. I can't see Molloy leaving the Magpies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back