Opinion Sydney Swans Academy and Rebuild

Academies, friend or foe

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

You are not good at this are you. Either you are not smart enough to understand what "go home factor" means or you are pretending you are not smart enough to understand.

Sydney have the advantage of the big city less spotlight apparently not to mention the extra $$$$$

Then academy father son and the draft.

Amazing leg up

What a great club the swans are. Their excellent culture and values were seeping through last night, led by a very good coach.
They will be up for a long time.

Quality people all throughout the club is the biggest thing, you can be gifted anything but if you can’t get the right people, you’ll struggle. It’s more than just players. Harley fits in so well there.

What extra cash

Fisted8 must mean this

1. Gold Coast - $26.3 million
2. GWS - $23.5 million
3. Brisbane - $21.6 million
4. St Kilda - $21.4 million
5. Melbourne - $19.0 million
6. Western Bulldogs - $18.8 million
7. North Melbourne - $17.4 million
8. Carlton - $15.7 million
9. Collingwood - $15.0 million
10. Port Adelaide - $14.9 million
11. Sydney - $14.6 million
12. Richmond - $14.2 million
13. Geelong - $13.7 million
14. Adelaide - $13.1 million
15. Fremantle - $13.3 milliion
16. Essendon - $13.3 million
17. West Coast - $12.7 million
18. Hawthorn - $12.3 million

(Page 77)

I mean look at all that extra cash Sydney are getting from the AFL compared to Melbourne.

Fisted8 must mean this

2. GWS - $23.5 million

(Page 77)

I mean look at all that extra cash Sydney are getting from the AFL compared to Melbourne.

This is such easy pickings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fisted8 must mean this

2. GWS - $23.5 million

(Page 77)

It’s amazing some of the chest beating from some vic club fans.
Freo get no prime time no air time with no flags so have no glory hunters and bandwagoners, sit mid table for membership and yet get the fourth least handouts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like footy. That doesn’t mean every kid in every corner of the country has to play it. I’m quite okay living in a world where Isaac Heeney decides to play rugby league. I’d be much happier living in a world where more money is invested to build the academic success of children from disadvantaged communities, rather than the low probability/modest reward that is an AFL career for middle class kids living in one of the richest countries in the world.

It was the squad, not the team, but anyway, of the squad

Nick Blakey - Academy selection. Pick 10. A lucky selection to be honest.
Tom McCartin - Picked him up in late second round of the 2017 draft. Anyone could have drafted him.
Chad Warner - Picked up in the third round of the 2019 draft. Anyone could have selected him.
James Rowbottom - Picked up mid 20's in the 2018 draft. Anyone could have selected him.
Justin McInerney - Picked up in the third round of the 2018 draft. Anyone could have selected him.
Errol Gulden - Academy selection Picked up in the late second round of the 2019 draft. Didn't have the points for him if someone bid on him in the top 15.

Useless North

Solid argument.

You got any alternatives to keep a level playing field or are you blind and believe it’s level without the academy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s proved that it’s not a level playing field though. Sydney getting top 3 talent while finishing top isn’t a level playing field.

Lol at the thread title. "Rebuild"? What "rebuild"? They topped up their playing stocks briefly in 2019, only to be primed to have another concerted tilt at the premiership! The antiquated system that is "academies" is a farce - plain and simple. Yes, I realise that many a team have their own player academies, but how many of said teams don't have to match opposition bids? Dumb and dumber.

Lol at the thread title. "Rebuild"? What "rebuild"? They topped up their playing stocks briefly in 2019, only to be primed to have another concerted tilt at the premiership! The antiquated system that is "academies" is a farce - plain and simple. Yes, I realise that many a team have their own player academies, but how many of said teams don't have to match opposition bids? Dumb and dumber.

Since the end of 2018 we have brought in (and who played yesterday)

Blakey
Rowbottom
McInerney
Clarke
Stephens
Warner
McDonald
Gulden
Hickey

Two of which were academy players the rest were all either draft selections anyone could have picked or trades.

One of the academy players (Blakely) was pick 10, which honestly was not that far off our first round pick for that year anyway, and the other was Gulden who went for a pick in the 30's so clearly other clubs didn't rate him that highly.

Useless North
To be fair, Campbell was the higher rated youngster from the Draft. It's just that Gulden's found his level at AFL, and his level probably won't go a lot higher (it's already bloody high), while Campbell has a huge ceiling for improvement.

Geelong bid on him, Swans matched it. But North needed what they selected. Sure, it was a bit brain dead with the forwards still in the draft.

People forget that Hickey is a 4-club player, Parker was later in the draft, Paddy McCartin was a delisted free agent, Sam Reid could have been traded for a half-eaten apple at one point, Lloyd was a rookie draft player, Fox was a rookie draft player and we delisted him twice. It goes on. Just because we have a handful of talented players in our team, doesn't mean the entire side is from the academy manufacturing plant.

Besides, there's quite a few NSW products who've been through the academy playing in the AFL and VFL, but don't have the profile of Blakey, Mills, Heeney, Gulden & Campbell.

Um. All of them operate under the same rules..

Also the only academy players added are Blakey and Gulden, Blakey I'll give you was kinda lucky (north could have gone harder for him tbf) and Gulden got passed up by 34 picks before him.

Every team has access to zone/NGA players, not quite like it was in the old days, but certainly NGA that act in the same way as Sydney's academy. However, not every club actually does anything about it. Quaynor for example, the Pies just nominated him in his final year, minimal development effort. North on the other hand went all out on Thomas, red carpet, training and development - like teams used to do in the old zone days.

Geelong for example barely develop youth. In fact their coach Chris Scott made a point about it earlier this year in a TV interview where he said there's no guarantees in the draft, and it takes longer, but we needed quality now. How many genuine youngsters do they have beating down the door if any of their best 25 is injured. Where Geelong, Collingwood and Richmond have excelled lately is bringing in ready-to-go VFL players. Tom Stewart anyone?

Back