Remove this Banner Ad

BruceFromBalnarring

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Should of been removed also.

No one should be getting additional $ outside the cap and the caps should be the same regardless of state. Much like the access to acadamies.

But you cant ignore that both clubs fell off the pace once these concessions were removed.
Sydney made the Grand Final in 2014 and 2016. Finals thereafter until 2018.

BloodySwan

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Brisbane needed the COLA and merger to get their 3 peat. Just as Richmond & Hawks utilise their advantages to get their 3 premierships, just as Geelong used their advantages to be so dominant for over a decade. Swans losing COLA meant we were no longer competitive except the academies came into effect at the same time. Academies are an equaliser to the Vic advantages. Remove Vic advantages and the academies are no longer needed

Sphynx

All Australian
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
But they did. And they were legal. And that’s what the Brisbane salary cap concessions were addressing.

Sydney’s was purely to address the 20% (approximately) higher cost of living in Sydney. The concession was only half of the cost difference.

Lol.

Which you spent on your top 5% earners.

But again, regale us with how it was a way of propping up the poor rookies.

BruceFromBalnarring

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
well they shouldn't.

I cant sit here and say that Sydneys + Brisbanes concessions were BULLSHIT and then say on the other hand that a player from Essendon should get more $$ because he's the ambassador of VISY can i?
But you effectively are. It’s not as bad now as Brisbane and Sydney players have at least some sort of media profile but still nothing like the value of Victorian marquee players.

HirdsTheWord

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Jun 19, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
But they did. And they were legal. And that’s what the Brisbane salary cap concessions were addressing.

Sydney’s was purely to address the 20% (approximately) higher cost of living in Sydney. The concession was only half of the cost difference.
I don't want to turn this into a COLA thread but COLA is ******* bullshit and you know it.

Players in Sydney didn't HAVE to live in the Eastern suburbs of Sydney. They choose to live in places that are expensive. They could have easily moved further in from the ocean and communed to training in NON peak hour traffic.

There are plenty of relatively cheaper places in Sydney for a player earning 6 + times the average national wage to love in. Remember they are the SYDNEY swans. Not the eastern suburb swans.

The new system which mainly caters for rookie & junior players is much better.

BruceFromBalnarring

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Lol.

Which you spent on your top 5% earners.

But again, regale us with how it was a way of propping up the poor rookies.
Well the “poor rookies” had 10% paid to them BY THE AFL on top of their standard rookie contracts paid BY THE SWANS.

Just like Tippett and Buddy had 10% paid on top of their contracts BY THE AFL with their standard contracts paid BY THE SWANS.

That’s how the cost of living allowance operated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BruceFromBalnarring

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
I don't want to turn this into a COLA thread but COLA is ******* bullshit and you know it.

Players in Sydney didn't HAVE to live in the Eastern suburbs of Sydney. They choose to live in places that are expensive. They could have easily moved further in from the ocean and communed to training in NON peak hour traffic.

There are plenty of relatively cheaper places in Sydney for a player earning 6 times the average national wage to love in. Remember they are the SYDNEY swans. Not the eastern suburb swans.
Their workplace is in Sydney. If you think a commute from Campbelltown to there is reasonable you’re delusional and have never been to Sydney.

BloodySwan

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
This is my prediction for the year:
-AFL will ignore the discussion for as long as they can.
-Eddie will remain unusually silent so as not to jeopardise Collingwoods chances of matching for Daicos
-Swans will make the finals, reigniting the debate
-The week before the draft (after the trade period) the AFL will say they will keep the points & bid matching in place but will remove the discount, from the 2022 draft onwards. Making a throw away comment about reviewing at some point in the future

HirdsTheWord

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Jun 19, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Well the “poor rookies” had 10% paid to them BY THE AFL on top of their standard rookie contracts paid BY THE SWANS.

Just like Tippett and Buddy had 10% paid on top of their contracts BY THE AFL with their standard contracts paid BY THE SWANS.

That’s how the cost of living allowance operated.
So buddy got 10% of a million a year as Cost Of Living

But a rookie got 10% of fu** all?

And you think that was fair? lol

HirdsTheWord

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Jun 19, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Their workplace is in Sydney. If you think a commute from Campbelltown to there is reasonable you’re delusional and have never been to Sydney.
I live in Sydney.........so i know exactly how bullshit it is for them to only want to live in the eastern suburbs.

There are plenty of places to live in between Campbell town and Coogee mate.......

BruceFromBalnarring

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
I live in Sydney.........so i know exactly how bullshit it is for them to only want to live in the eastern suburbs.

There are plenty of places to live in between Campbell town and Coogee mate.......
Garbage. You don’t think there is an advantage for Essendon in being able to house their players 5 minutes from the ground in a nice leafy suburb when for the same price Sydney players would be housed 40 minutes away in an industrial suburb?

Aug 24, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Marrickville, half an hour west of Moore Park, median house price $1.4 million.
Tullamarine, where the Bombers train, median house price $640,000.

No cost of living difference. 🙄
And Richmond’s median is $1.3 million are you suggesting Richmond get salary cap relief as well?
Pretty substantial difference compared to Tullamarine

Remove this Banner Ad