Opinion Sydney Swans Academy and Rebuild

Academies, friend or foe

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

lol not sure what your info is is but the Lions CEO at the time Mike Bowers, openly admitted that the concessions were used to attract top end VIC talent to Brisbane.

That's why they waited until 2006 to enforce it as contracts prior had already been executed.

Players were absolutely getting the money.

So what about the cashies and extra Cap media deals for Melbourne Clubs?

So what about the cashies and extra Cap media deals for Melbourne Clubs?

Which Melbourne Clubs were given Extra Salary Cap Space for Players?

I'm not aware, and if there were any than they should have been removed also.

lol not sure what your info is is but the Lions CEO at the time Mike Bowers, openly admitted that the concessions were used to attract top end VIC talent to Brisbane.

That's why they waited until 2006 to enforce it as contracts prior had already been executed.

Of course they were getting the money. As they should have been. They couldn’t make extra earnings like the marquee Victorian players could.

More about retention than recruitment I am guessing. They did pick up a Scott from the Hawks.

Travis Cloke, Tim Watson, Matthew Lloyd, Chris Judd, I can go on forever.

EDIT: Garry Lyon, Billy Brownless, Jason Dunstall, Dermott Brereton, Justin Madden, Dane Swan, Matthew Richardson.....

Should of been removed also.

No one should be getting additional $ outside the cap and the caps should be the same regardless of state. Much like the access to acadamies.

But you cant ignore that both clubs fell off the pace once these concessions were removed.

Footy Show appearances.

Johnno Brown to his credit refused a McGuire offer that promised a couple of times his salary earnings (outside the cap). To his great credit he stayed at the Brions.

Footy Show appearances.

Johnno Brown to his credit refused a McGuire offer that promised a couple of times his salary earnings (outside the cap). To his great credit he stayed at the Brions.

I'm not aware of individual deals but they should never have happened.

Trav lost the FS when he went to the Dogs. Treloar has lost his media presence. FWIW I think Treloar is a more than worthwhile media voice - up there with Jordan Lewis.

Should of been removed also.

No one should be getting additional $ outside the cap and the caps should be the same regardless of state. Much like the access to acadamies.

But you cant ignore that both clubs fell off the pace once these concessions were removed.

Sydney made the Grand Final in 2014 and 2016. Finals thereafter until 2018.

Brisbane needed the COLA and merger to get their 3 peat. Just as Richmond & Hawks utilise their advantages to get their 3 premierships, just as Geelong used their advantages to be so dominant for over a decade. Swans losing COLA meant we were no longer competitive except the academies came into effect at the same time. Academies are an equaliser to the Vic advantages. Remove Vic advantages and the academies are no longer needed

I'm not aware of individual deals but they should never have happened.
But they did. And they were legal. And that’s what the Brisbane salary cap concessions were addressing.

Sydney’s was purely to address the 20% (approximately) higher cost of living in Sydney. The concession was only half of the cost difference.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah you're right, anything that's not currently being done will never be done otherwise it would be happening already 🤔

Bit facetious of you but clearly since these Academies have been in operation for coming up to 10 years now reckon if the AFL wanted to take them over they would.

Sydney made the Grand Final in 2014 and 2016. Finals thereafter until 2018.

Sydney's COLA was not fully phased out until after 2014.....

id argue that in 2018 swans got in on their own merit.

They still happen mate.

well they shouldn't.

I cant sit here and say that Sydneys + Brisbanes concessions were BULLSHIT and then say on the other hand that a player from Essendon should get more $$ because he's the ambassador of VISY can i?

But they did. And they were legal. And that’s what the Brisbane salary cap concessions were addressing.

Sydney’s was purely to address the 20% (approximately) higher cost of living in Sydney. The concession was only half of the cost difference.

Lol.

Which you spent on your top 5% earners.

But again, regale us with how it was a way of propping up the poor rookies.

well they shouldn't.

I cant sit here and say that Sydneys + Brisbanes concessions were BULLSHIT and then say on the other hand that a player from Essendon should get more $$ because he's the ambassador of VISY can i?
But you effectively are. It’s not as bad now as Brisbane and Sydney players have at least some sort of media profile but still nothing like the value of Victorian marquee players.

Ok. But we didn’t drop off. And all of our performances have been “on merit”.

Yes, you did drop off..

Prior to COLA being removed you didnt miss the finals for 10 years....

After it being removed you made the finals 1 year, and of that you barely made it in 2018....

Please man.......

I don't want to turn this into a COLA thread but COLA is ******* bullshit and you know it.

Players in Sydney didn't HAVE to live in the Eastern suburbs of Sydney. They choose to live in places that are expensive. They could have easily moved further in from the ocean and communed to training in NON peak hour traffic.

There are plenty of relatively cheaper places in Sydney for a player earning 6 + times the average national wage to love in. Remember they are the SYDNEY swans. Not the eastern suburb swans.

The new system which mainly caters for rookie & junior players is much better.

Lol.

Which you spent on your top 5% earners.

But again, regale us with how it was a way of propping up the poor rookies.

Well the “poor rookies” had 10% paid to them BY THE AFL on top of their standard rookie contracts paid BY THE SWANS.

Just like Tippett and Buddy had 10% paid on top of their contracts BY THE AFL with their standard contracts paid BY THE SWANS.

That’s how the cost of living allowance operated.

Yes, you did drop off..

Prior to COLA being removed you didnt miss the finals for 10 years....

After it being removed you made the finals 1 year, and of that you barely made it in 2018....

Please man.......

Had an ageing banged up list and a coach yet to show adaptability.

I don't want to turn this into a COLA thread but COLA is ******* bullshit and you know it.

Players in Sydney didn't HAVE to live in the Eastern suburbs of Sydney. They choose to live in places that are expensive. They could have easily moved further in from the ocean and communed to training in NON peak hour traffic.

There are plenty of relatively cheaper places in Sydney for a player earning 6 times the average national wage to love in. Remember they are the SYDNEY swans. Not the eastern suburb swans.
Their workplace is in Sydney. If you think a commute from Campbelltown to there is reasonable you’re delusional and have never been to Sydney.

This is my prediction for the year:
-AFL will ignore the discussion for as long as they can.
-Eddie will remain unusually silent so as not to jeopardise Collingwoods chances of matching for Daicos
-Swans will make the finals, reigniting the debate
-The week before the draft (after the trade period) the AFL will say they will keep the points & bid matching in place but will remove the discount, from the 2022 draft onwards. Making a throw away comment about reviewing at some point in the future

Back