Prediction Sydney Swans next senior coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP mentions Thompson, but a related point is the contract extension, unfortunate it is till 2017. Seems like Longmire is out of ideas to be honest.

Not jumping the gun is something I like about you. Not prone to emotional, prisoner-of-the-moment judgements like claiming the coach is out of ideas before round 1 because he didn't pick a player who you like.

This thread is far too premature. People only need to look at last year when we were 1-4 and how our season panned out after that. We havent even played a game yet. You cant judge everything off 3 NAB cup games. Im sure Horse has things up his sleeves he didnt want to give away during NAB.

Horse has a 3-1 record against Bomber Thompson for the record, Bomber can't be that much of an amazing coach then, if Longmire is apparently so s**t.
Horse has made a few mistakes and will make plenty more, but 3 top 4 finishes in his 4 years coaching (including 2 Grand Finals)...besides Clarkson who could possibly claim to be a better coach at present time? Even if we tumble down the ladder, Horse has earned first crack at rebuilding the side too.

Horse has a 3-1 record against Bomber Thompson for the record, Bomber can't be that much of an amazing coach then, if Longmire is apparently so s**t.
Horse has made a few mistakes and will make plenty more, but 3 top 4 finishes in his 4 years coaching (including 2 Grand Finals)...besides Clarkson who could possibly claim to be a better coach at present time? Even if we tumble down the ladder, Horse has earned first crack at rebuilding the side too.
Hinkley could make that claim easily, hense when people snickered when Longmire won coach of the year award that year. A bit like Swanny treasurer of the year. I can relate through teaching, a teacher in a selective school that only permits Band 6 and Band 5 students as candidates after passing aptitude tests based on their results is a brilliant teacher using most people's logic on here. Best teachers are ones that improve results by the biggest margin. My thought is that the quality of our list is masking the situation.

Well firstly from all indications, Longmire has pretty solid input into how the list is going to be constructed so he's not some passive entity in that regard. He and Ireland were the primary factors that got Franklin to Sydney and days after the 2012 GF, he visited Tippett to get him on board too. He's got something to say about how this list is put together.

And if we're going on taking a list to the apex, that's exactly what he did. He took a 2011 side that got eliminated in round 2 to a premiership the next year year. And it's not like that 2011 team was in the penthouse in previous years. 2010 they made round 2, 2009 they didn't make the finals, 2008 they made the second round, 2007 first round. They were, by definition, above average by virtue of making finals but weren't world beaters by any stretch. They took the next step to "elite" (despite my hatred for that word in the world of AFL).

You seem to have a distaste for Longmire and can't be won over by his very impressive record to this point so that probably means this discussion is largely pointless. And that's fine, your opinion and blah blah blah. But if you can't give him credit for taking a somewhat above average side to a premiership and then can't get past how well the side played in 2014 before a horrendous GF, you're myopia in this area is too great for a discussion. I don't think he's Paul Roos in terms of getting the absolute best out of a list (I firmly believe no other coach could have won a premiership with the talent on the 2005 list), but he's now got a 4 year track record of making players better under his tutelage and a lot of success. We can't ask a whole lot more of him than that while remaining reasonable. You can have distaste for individual decisions (like Mitchell not getting a game), but try to keep it in perspective.

Last edited:
Whatever happens, I hope Brett Kirk comes back real soon.

Do you see him putting up with that insipid 2014 GF 1st quarter effort!

For 2015, let's size up Isaac Heeney before we get too concerned about shoveling out of the packs.

You guys go to the gutter so quickly, I dont take it as a relection of me, but more a reflection of the poster.

Longmire isnt a terrible person, hes not a terrible coach, but he seems to have stagnated as a coach.

Areas like small fwd, bombing it long, getting first hands on ball, hardness at the ball. They are areas that can and need to be improved upon at our club.

You guys go to the gutter so quickly, I dont take it as a relection of me, but more a reflection of the poster.

Longmire isnt a terrible person, hes not a terrible coach, but he seems to have stagnated as a coach.

Areas like small fwd, bombing it long, getting first hands on ball, hardness at the ball. They are areas that can and need to be improved upon at our club.

Happy to agree that Horse and Dew will be subjected to greater scrutiny if Hawthorn continue to belt us and we keep the same game plan. But the season for us still hasn't begun and you are already concluding that Horse is bereft of ideas. Your forgone conclusion may well prove prescient, I hope not, but I suggest that it would be prudent to wait for the evidence. As unpalatable as it might sound, our team just may not be as good as you think it to be. It is possible that Horse has indeed extracted the best from our list. We have significant concerns. Ageing key backs, one ruck and a slowish mid field and an even slower albeit tall, forward set up. It is not just the coach or coaches. Rein in your expectations and you will savour our victories with greater relish. Expect to win every time and you will be heading for a reality check.

If Dew ever gets a head coaching gig, I'd like to see Basset arrive at the club on a long term deal.

That's about it. Longmire will be at the helm for a while.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who has gone to the gutter? Don't try and pull attention from people challenging your opinion.

Getting first hands on the ball and hardness at the ball are ultimately issues that the players have control over. The coach can only do so much there.

He can certainly pick a small forward and control how the ball gets into the forward line to an extent so those are valid criticisms to hold of Longmire if you are inclined in such a way.

Go internal I imagine. Henry Playfair seems to know what he is doing.

Of course that is only when Horse retires or his coaching performances get worse.

Dew?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back