Sydney Swans pushing AFL for a 3 Grand Final series : Caroline Wilson 5aa

Remove this Banner Ad

Hate the idea of a best of 3 - would totally take away from the spectacle of the last great game of the year. And I don't see how you'd do it to make it fair anyway, would it have been 2 games at the MCG in 2018 and one at Optus? Or one in Adelaide which would be annoying for both teams?

Players would get exhausted as well, the last game I imagine would be a shitty scrappy affair rather than the format it is now where it's likely the 2 teams who've won the QF have come off a week's break then a prelim to get them fired up.

Just keep it at the MCG ffs, think there's a lot more they could do in terms of crowd numbers/seat allocations for an interstate team that finished higher on the ladder rather than playing a shitty series

We cried less then Tony Jones did lamenting Eagles as a waste of space because the GF is at the MCG.

You can't spend 5 years blasting us for our inability to win games at the MCG and then say it is irrelevant and a non factor when the argument flips around and no longer suits you

When it's all said and done, I want the GF moved for one reason. It's actually a terrible ground by today's standards. I've seen Eagles play at every ground in Australia. MCG is a clear 4th place. The ratings go

1. Adelaide Oval
2. Optus Stadium
3. Marvel Stadium

daylight

4. MCG

It lacks atmosphere, the facilities are run down, the ground is just soulless. You get pockets of soul but a game with 50 000 Chardonnay sippers and and then like 50 000 real fans also kills the vibe. I'd like to think if the GF was at Optus this year the corporates could have stayed at home and we could have created a truly great atmosphere rather then the manufactured garbage the MCG provides.

Why do West Australian’s keep acting like the AFL wouldn’t have a corporate ticket allocation to a GF at Optus Stadium? The AFL are still going to make sure the corporates are looked after before dishing out tickets to club members. I’d imagine they’d still have an allocation for AFL and probably MCC members too. You’d be lucky to get 10k club members per team allocated tickets.

Most don't want it only played in Vic. At least 80 percent of non Vic's anyway

Most don't want only it played in Vic? These numbers will tell the tale, maybe non vic supporters want the game at other venues but what they're forgetting is that it will be less of a spectacle being a 50 or 60k stadium. The AFL prides itself on being the biggest attended championship play off game in the world and ch7 seems to like it too.

upload_2018-11-19_9-3-30.png

More just looking at it from an outrage from down south point of view, as seen in this thread, that anyone would take their GF away.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Hmmmm, ok what you're getting at is an outrage that there might be change from a 1 game decider to a 3 game decider? Or the fact that the GF will be moved (which it won't be until 2058 - that's an if)?

If it is moved or changed to a 3 gamer, fair enough I can agree with the outrage - the championship decider has been decided at one venue (apart from a few exceptions) for 1 game at the G for more than a century.

For mine, it's not about the fact that it is in Vic ( I live in Perth btw) - it's about the prestige and tradition and the fact that we can take pride in being the biggest stand alone championship event in the world. Can't do that in any other stadia in the country

I'm pretty sure you'll find that most vic team supporters want it to stay at the G for the reasons I've just stated, not as an advantage issue.

Also just quietly, if you're the best team that year, you should be able to win anywhere. Just play the ONE game at a neutral venue.

I do agree with some of your points but this isn’t that accurate.

In the last 20 H&A seasons at the MCG we’ve had 1 game 8 times, 2 games 9 times, 3 games twice and 4
Hmmmm, ok what you're getting at is an outrage that there might be change from a 1 game decider to a 3 game decider? Or the fact that the GF will be moved (which it won't be until 2058 - that's an if)?

If it is moved or changed to a 3 gamer, fair enough I can agree with the outrage - the championship decider has been decided at one venue (apart from a few exceptions) for 1 game at the G for more than a century.

For mine, it's not about the fact that it is in Vic ( I live in Perth btw) - it's about the prestige and tradition and the fact that we can take pride in being the biggest stand alone championship event in the world. Can't do that in any other stadia in the country

I'm pretty sure you'll find that most vic team supporters want it to stay at the G for the reasons I've just stated, not as an advantage issue.

Agreed.

I'm confident the G would be the preferred venue nationally by quite a margin though. The opposition strongest in WA and SA no doubt.

Honestly, i wish the national teams (any team that isn't from Victoria) would just form their own league. Would be a nice **** you to gil and the VFL ****heads in melbourne. And the only reason why people give a s**t about the AFL would be gone as the game is nothing without it's national audience. Give it 5 years before gillo finally folds and joins the national league under the condition that every all Victorian grand final must be played in Darwin in the middle of summer just for lolz
They should split the full competition into two leagues - Melbourne League and the VicoSucks League.

The VicoSucks league play each other, and they all fly every second week and have the disadvantages and advantages with that and proper home grounds. You can play the VicoSucks GF at Spotless stadium in front of 12K people if they are highest ranked. It is fair for all non-Melbourne teams.

The Melbourne league just plays in Melbourne, a mix of Etihad and MCG games. GF is at the G in front of 100K.

Everyone wins.

I disagree.

Disagree all you like, doesn't change the fact that most vic team supporters want it to stay a 1 game decider at it's current venue because that's the way it's always been - not because it's an advantage.

Also seems that there is no want for change among most non vic team supporters either, on this thread at least.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They should split the full competition into two leagues - Melbourne League and the VicoSucks League.

The VicoSucks league play each other, and they all fly every second week and have the disadvantages and advantages with that and proper home grounds. You can play the VicoSucks GF at Spotless stadium in front of 12K people if they are highest ranked. It is fair for all non-Melbourne teams.

The Melbourne league just plays in Melbourne, a mix of Etihad and MCG games. GF is at the G in front of 100K.

Everyone wins.

As sarcastic as you put it, that would probably be the reality if that came to pass.

Disagree all you like, doesn't change the fact that most vic team supporters want it to stay a 1 game decider at it's current venue because that's the way it's always been - not because it's an advantage.

Also seems that there is no want for change among most non vic team supporters either, on this thread at least.

I love when people claim facts that arent facts.

Showd the type of individual they are.

Well I agree with him.
Thats one.
Your the one pushing s**t up hill now genius..
So that's 2 vfl team followers. I'm convinced.

Theres no advantage to Victorian GF.

The fans are only caring about tradition and not about the advantage or for some not having to pay airfares or accommodation.

Yeah no not convinced at all.

Go burn a dwarf.

So that's 2 vfl team followers. I'm convinced.

Theres no advantage to Victorian GF.

The fans are only caring about tradition and not about the advantage or for some not having to pay airfares or accommodation.

Yeah no not convinced at all.

Why would anyone, at all...give a s**t who is paying airfares and accommodation for teams? You for real?

As sarcastic as you put it, that would probably be the reality if that came to pass.
You could also then potentially have a home and away finals series between the Melbourne champion and the VicoSucks champion.

As the MCC still gets the Melbourne GF this new finals series wouldn’t fall under its contract.

So you can have St.Kilda v Gold Coast in Game 1 at Etihad, Game 2 at Metricon....if results are split just have a goal shooting kick-off contest or something equally as inane to determine the Australian (I mean World!!) Champion.

The Melbourne League GF will still be the biggest game of all with the big parade, and festival of footy at Yarra Park.

The VicoSucks league can make their own traditions in the highest ranked team gets to host version.

The World champion finals series is a meh as it isn’t do or die. That is the entire point of a grand final...entire season comes down to how you perform in that one game. Choke and stiff sh1t

Funny how you don't often hear the Melbourne Storm or Brisbane Broncos whinging about the NRL Grand Finals being played in Sydney

They just get on with the business of winning the premiership.

They leave the excuse-making and snivelling to the soft utensil AFL fans who barrack for Swans, Giants, Crows, Eagles, Port and Freo

I'd say the fans would give a s**t.

Kinda shows what the mentality of some fans when they dont ever have to think of these things.

I got no sympathy, at all, for any club, Victorian or not and what expenses they incur. You think they give one single * about you or me?? lol

Funny how you don't often hear the Melbourne Storm or Brisbane Broncos whinging about the NRL Grand Finals being played in Sydney

They leave the excuse-making to the soft utensil AFL fans who barrack for Swans, Giants, Crows, Eagles, Port and Freo

Lol Why do you think the Broncos start the Super League War?
Was to move the power base to Qld.

Brisbane have been trying to get it for years.

They leave the excuse-making and snivelling to the soft utensil AFL fans who barrack for Swans, Giants, Crows, Eagles, Port and Freo
Oyyyy

I resent that. I'm sure most of our supporters would want it at the G. Even Phil Davis laughed and said they would have to put up a few tents at Spotless when asked.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back