Sydney Swans pushing AFL for a 3 Grand Final series : Caroline Wilson 5aa

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol Why do you think the Broncos start the Super League War?
Was to move the power base to Qld
LOL

Geez, people on here post some bullshit... :rolleyes:

The "Super League War" was a power play by Rupert Murdoch/News Corp to wrest control of the TV rights for Rugby League so he could sell more Foxtel packages to people in Sydney and Brisbane.

He threw money at the players (and coaches) just like Kerry Packer himself did with the cricketers 20 years earlier when he started up World Series Cricket in opposition to the ACB/ABC cartel

The Packers/Channel 9 and the ARL eventually came to an agreement with News Corp and divided up the spoils 50/50. Packer retained the free-to-air rights, Murdoch got his pay-TV rights (which is what he wanted all along) and the comp was streamlined with many deadweight clubs being folded or merged.

The Broncos and Storm are both owned by News Corp

Initially, there were fears the the new "NRL" Grand Final might be shifted, but it never materialised. Nothing more then scare-mongering and sensationalism by the Sydney media. Murdoch was happy to get the pay-TV rights and let the Sydney administrators run the game as they saw fit.

Last edited:
LOL

Geez, people on here post some bullshit... :rolleyes:

The "Super League War" was a power play by Rupert Murdoch/News Corp to wrest control of the TV rights for Rugby League so he could sell more Foxtel packages to people in Sydney and Brisbane.

He threw money at the players (and coaches) just like Kerry Packer himself did with the cricketers 20 years earlier when he started up World Series Cricket in opposition to the ACB/ABC cartel

The Packers/Channel 9 and the ARL eventually came to an agreement with News Corp and divided up the spoils 50/50. Packer retained the free-to-air rights, Murdoch got his pay-TV rights (which is what he wanted all along) and the comp was streamlined with many deadweight clubs being folded or merged.

The Broncos and Storm are both owned by News Corp

Initially, there were fears the the new "NRL" Grand Final might be shifted, but it never materialised. Nothing more then scare-mongering and sensationalism by the Sydney media. Murdoch was happy to get the pay-TV rights and let the Sydney administrators run the game as they saw fit.

Nothing you wrote changed what I said.

Oh and at the time the Broncos were privately owned and then Neqs bought 20% of them just before it kicked off.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I love when people claim facts that arent facts.

Showd the type of individual they are.

Sorry I must've offended you, ..................... hang on I mean you took offence to what I posted. Offence is taken not given.

If you're so easily offended, maybe life isn't for you. Certainly not a place like BF

Let me rephrase my post, it's highly likely that the majority of vic team supporters want the gf to stay the same because it's been that way since 1902 and not because it may be an advantage.

Does that make you feel better?

Sorry I must've offended you, ..................... hang on I mean you took offence to what I posted. Offence is taken not given.

If you're so easily offended, maybe life isn't for you. Certainly not a place like BF

Let me rephrase my post, it's highly likely that the majority of vic team supporters want the gf to stay the same because it's been that way since 1902 and not because it may be an advantage.

Does that make you feel better?

You're stuttering.

The fans are only caring about tradition and not about the advantage or for some not having to pay airfares or accommodation.

What's your problem with tradition? Is it because it does not suit you or your team which is still in kindy?

Obviously HQ don't have a problem with tradition otherwise we would have a national comp and vfl comp and the bulk of the paying supporter base would be following the VFL.

Maybe footy isn't for you.

What's your problem with tradition? Is it because it does not suit you or your team which is still in kindy?

Obviously HQ don't have a problem with tradition otherwise we would have a national comp and vfl comp and the bulk of the paying supporter base would be following the VFL.

Orrrrr

All those busted arse broke teams would have folded - it was expansion money that kept them from going broke remember...

With all due respect the MCG grand final is a tradition of a Victorian suburban football comp, that comp went and expanded itself to now be a national comp. All the things which came with a Vic Suburban comp don't necessarily work or fall into line for a national comp.
But as I have said before I prefer it at the G until another city has a 80K plus stadium.

Orrrrr

All those busted arse broke teams would have folded - it was expansion money that kept them from going broke remember...

Agreed, however the bulk of the paying footy fan base is in vic, that's we still have 10 vic teams. If HQ were certain that said fan base wouldn't turn their back on the comp we wouldn't have 10 vic teams.

Back in 1987 when those clubs could've folded you can bet your bottom dollar that that supporter base would be following their team whichever comp they landed in and not start up teams with the intent to create a national comp.

It's also true that HQ want the comp to be national hence the expansion experiment in gc and gws.

yup

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwi9veGc1N_eAhUBWX0KHV5jApAQzPwBegQIARAC&url=https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/saving-football-new-documents-reveal-how-close-the-vfl-came-to-shutting-down-20160408-go1x0m.html&psig=AOvVaw1wsNRFojin89WV4iMlHvPE&ust=1542689462936753

Your busted arse league was broke - absolutely broke

We saved your arse from bankruptcy - we saved most of your clubs from folding.

Kinda punctures the balloon on you vics with your centre-of-the-universe complex.
And like i said, you support the team that saved our league, not only did you jump ship, you jumped ship to join our league.
BWhahahaha.

Sleep well princess.

With all due respect the MCG grand final is a tradition of a Victorian suburban football comp, that comp went and expanded itself to now be a national comp. All the things which came with a Vic Suburban comp don't necessarily work or fall into line for a national comp.

Yes it is a victorian tradition based on a suburban comp that expanded into a somewhat national comp, but the quasi faux extended vfl was the only way that the game could go "national".

Whilst I agree that the suburban traditions of the vfl don't fit the narrative of a national comp, it is what it is because HQ don't want to alienate the bulk of the footy supporter base.

Put your house on it, if HQ move the GF or make it a best of 3 there'll be dissent among the vic base and a danger of losing it.

IF

We started a national comp with new vic teams and left the vfl to rot and die you can guarantee:
  • The vic supporter base would've followed their team whichever comp they land in and a franchise team in a national comp would be a passing interest to them at best.
  • At some point somewhere someone would have salvaged the vlf and it's teams because it was and always will be marketable. Even Fitzroy to this day are in a comp (VAFA if I'm correct) but only a small percentage of their original supporter base give little if any interest in the national comp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And like i said, you support the team that saved our league, not only did you jump ship, you jumped ship to join our league.
BWhahahaha.

Sleep well princess.
I will.

Might watch the 2018 gf again.

Wanna come over?

Promise not to rewind and watch sheeds goal more than 10 times.

Have no problem with tradition.

Very big for my other club that's in rugby league.

My problem is when it's used as a way of pushing advantages.

If they didnt want a national comp then shouldnt of gone national.

Yes it is a victorian tradition based on a suburban comp that expanded into a somewhat national comp, but the quasi faux extended vfl was the only way that the game could go "national".

Whilst I agree that the suburban traditions of the vfl don't fit the narrative of a national comp, it is what it is because HQ don't want to alienate the bulk of the footy supporter base.

Put your house on it, if HQ move the GF or make it a best of 3 there'll be dissent among the vic base and a danger of losing it.

IF

We started a national comp with new vic teams and left the vfl to rot and die you can guarantee:
  • The vic supporter base would've followed their team whichever comp they land in and a franchise team in a national comp would be a passing interest to them at best.
  • At some point somewhere someone would have salvaged the vlf and it's teams because it was and always will be marketable. Even Fitzroy to this day are in a comp (VAFA if I'm correct) but only a small percentage of their original supporter base give little if any interest in the national comp.

The game has moved past Fitzroy and their supporters have been replaced by others.

Under your hypothetical of the VFL clubs all going back to be just a Vic comp they would be doomed. While I admire the hell out of Victorians and how they support sport if the other 8 clubs kept the national comp running it wouldn’t take long before a Vic club or a composite club attached itself to the national league. The money would be the where the national league is. No other state would allow the VFL to be televised be it tv or radio into those states. The VFL would eventually be a feeder comp for thenational comp.

Do the many thousands of Fitzroy supporters pack out local grounds? 2nd tier sport is not followed in this country and it matters not a bit what the name of the club is.
Collingwood are the biggest club in Victoria, if they were thrown out of the AFL you are kidding yourself if you think 10 years later they are getting crowds to watch them in second tier.
We have seen it here in WA and SA, thosecrowds that flocked to the WAFL and the SANFL now Fock to the national comp.
As great as the VFL was the same would of happened. We will never know though for sure.

That is not the intent though, it's a byproduct of the footy landscape and where the market lies. If tradition was used intentionally to push a vic centric comp then we wouldn't gc and gws would we and probably not even a national comp.

You're probably right that Ross and the WAFC shouldn't have gone national.

In any case if it wasn't the WAFC it would have been someone or other entity that would've salvaged the VFL because there was and always will be a market for Victorian football.

Don't you just love the tradition of a Richmond Carlton season opener?

Been around forever.

Wouldn't seem right without it.

Its not like they started something recently and called it a tradition did they?

Under your hypothetical of the VFL clubs all going back to be just a Vic comp they would be doomed. While I admire the hell out of Victorians and how they support sport if the other 8 clubs kept the national comp running it wouldn’t take long before a Vic club or a composite club attached itself to the national league. The money would be the where the national league is. No other state would allow the VFL to be televised be it tv or radio into those states. The VFL would eventually be a feeder comp for thenational comp.

I don't see how this is possible, the hypothetical VFL would have the highest fan base. These numbers don't lie - currently the overwhelming supporter base is in Vic and out combines all other "footy" states and territories by more than 1.3 million. So not only would it not be doomed it would thrive, unless of course all vic team supporters abandon their current team for a franchise team in a national comp. Very very unlikely.

upload_2018-11-19_15-40-58.png

We have seen it here in WA and SA, thosecrowds that flocked to the WAFL and the SANFL now Fock to the national comp.
As great as the VFL was the same would of happened. We will never know though for sure.

I disagree, just because sandgropers and croweaters dropped their wafl and sanfl teams like an unhealthy relationship (which I still find perplexing as to the why) doesn't mean that the vic supporter base would do the same. In fact if you were to run a poll you'd learn the true reflection of where supporters hearts lie.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back