Sydney Swans pushing AFL for a 3 Grand Final series : Caroline Wilson 5aa

Remove this Banner Ad

The game has moved past Fitzroy and their supporters have been replaced by others.

Under your hypothetical of the VFL clubs all going back to be just a Vic comp they would be doomed. While I admire the hell out of Victorians and how they support sport if the other 8 clubs kept the national comp running it wouldn’t take long before a Vic club or a composite club attached itself to the national league. The money would be the where the national league is. No other state would allow the VFL to be televised be it tv or radio into those states. The VFL would eventually be a feeder comp for thenational comp.

Do the many thousands of Fitzroy supporters pack out local grounds? 2nd tier sport is not followed in this country and it matters not a bit what the name of the club is.
Collingwood are the biggest club in Victoria, if they were thrown out of the AFL you are kidding yourself if you think 10 years later they are getting crowds to watch them in second tier.
We have seen it here in WA and SA, thosecrowds that flocked to the WAFL and the SANFL now Fock to the national comp.
As great as the VFL was the same would of happened. We will never know though for sure.
It's not a simple as you think.
For starters, the VFL/AFL own the club names and logos.
Secondly, where do most of the talent come from?
Thirdly, how are you going to get said talent, from a draft, or are you going to just bid for them?

The only way a national comp was ever going to start, is exactly how it started.

Thirdly, how are you going to get said talent, from a draft, or are you going to just bid for them?

The only way a national comp was ever going to start, is exactly how it started.

Was not my hypothetical, the talent still would end up going to the national league.

I don't see how this is possible, the hypothetical VFL would have the highest fan base. These numbers don't lie - currently the overwhelming supporter base is in Vic and out combines all other "footy" states and territories by more than 1.3 million. So not only would it not be doomed it would thrive, unless of course all vic team supporters abandon their current team for a franchise team in a national comp. Very very unlikely.

View attachment 586197

I disagree, just because sandgropers and croweaters dropped their wafl and sanfl teams like an unhealthy relationship (which I still find perplexing as to the why) doesn't mean that the vic supporter base would do the same. In fact if you were to run a poll you'd learn the true reflection of where supporters hearts lie.

Vic clubs are what they today because the game went national, can we please not over play what they were. 2018 Collingwood membership is 80k plus, in 1984 it was 16k. Collingwood was a big club in a suburban comp, yes they may of been known Australia wide. In fact Collingwood, Carlton and Richmond had a foot print outside of Victoria but the rest no one had really heard of until the late 70’s.

You don’t have to agree, second tier sport is not watched in Australia. If not all clubs from the VFL had of been included then the clubs that were would still be followed in huge numbers. The ones that got left behind would of suffered the same fate as the WA and SA clubs.

Very difficult to have a hypothetical conversation unless you are prepared to talk about your club in 1984-1985 when talk of the game going national got serious. Trying to compare Collingwood the club in 2018 to Collingwood the club mid 80’s is like comparing Manchester United with Halifax as clubs.

As I said to carringbush mate the hypothetical was in the mid 1980,s the VFL wouldn’t of known what owning a club logo meant back then.

Was not my hypothetical, the talent still would end up going to the national league.
You still seem to think it's really simple.

The VFL would just reintroduce the under 19 comp.

I am just wondering how the talent ends up in a national league, do they draft them or bid?

Remember, the VFL would still be the strongest league and would have more following it, so i don't think they are just going to jump over.

Vic clubs are what they today because the game went national, can we please not over play what they were. 2018 Collingwood membership is 80k plus, in 1984 it was 16k. Collingwood was a big club in a suburban comp, yes they may of been known Australia wide. In fact Collingwood, Carlton and Richmond had a foot print outside of Victoria but the rest no one had really heard of until the late 70’s.

You don’t have to agree, second tier sport is not watched in Australia. If not all clubs from the VFL had of been included then the clubs that were would still be followed in huge numbers. The ones that got left behind would of suffered the same fate as the WA and SA clubs.

Very difficult to have a hypothetical conversation unless you are prepared to talk about your club in 1984-1985 when talk of the game going national got serious. Trying to compare Collingwood the club in 2018 to Collingwood the club mid 80’s is like comparing Manchester United with Halifax as clubs.
Not really.

Membership numbers are a sign of clubs actively looking to get a set of people to market and sell things to.

Less than 35% of club memberships in 2018 were the standard ‘home’ membership, the equivalent of the seasons ticket back in 1984.

Collingwood in 2018 to Collingwood in the 80s, is just like comparing ManU of 2018 to ManU of the 80s....ManU was hardly a juggernaut in the 80s in the English first division.

But come global TV $ and expansion of Premier League, they flourished and are now a global juggernaut.

You can’t change how AFL evolved, it is the VFL with a few add on teams...

Grand final day is like one of Australias most celebrated day, regardless of who you support. You get that BBQ happening with your family, sit close to the TV and cheer on a team cuz you hate the other team, have bets on players and team, call mates during half time and debate, ask the missus to get you a beer.

It would ruin the classic iconic day it is. I support the idea behind but nah Grand final day is much more than just two teams playing, it's a day that unites the country, it brings supporters across the country together at the greatest stage of all MCG.

Making it 3 series would ruin this feeling.

On the rare occasion that there is a replay, how does the second game compare the following week as an “event”?

I'm not comparing clubs now to then, I'm merely stating that if now we went back to a vfl and have a national comp it is clear where the bulk of the market would lie..............Very highly likely that the vfl would be most attended, watched and participated league in the land.

Disagree with that all you will but it's hard to argue with the population numbers.

As far as your hypothetical of not all clubs going into the national comp, why do you think that did not happen? Probably because now we'd have a large chunk of paying fan base not there.

As far as wafl and sanfl clubs well they're still there aren't they, if I am correct can't say the same for south melbourne and Fitzroy don't even play in the vfl - if I am correct they're vafa. Most of their support has gone from the national comp and some I'd argue from the game altogether

Whichever way you boil it down and dissect it, Vic is the largest Australian football market and always has been. Fact of life.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The last one had 96k only, unless you're a Collingwood supporter it had less "impact" given the one sided result and the fact that there was a 2nd championship decider.

How was the experience viewed as a neutral watching from home? I may be wrong but I’m envisioning Grand Final Day as being a national event in Australia, similar to how Super Bowl Sunday is almost a national holiday in the US (is that way off base?)

With that in mind I’m trying to imagine what happens when ther is no result, and a replay is required. As an NFL fan, I would love that if I was a neutral (more football next week!), but I’m sure the “pomp and circumstance” would be absent (the hoopla, the big name entertainment, etc). Ie, hardcore fans would be fine with it, but it wouldn’t be a huge event with more casual fans.

So just kind of curious what the “feel” is like when this happens in AFL. Thanks in advance.

How was the experience viewed as a neutral watching from home? I may be wrong but I’m envisioning Grand Final Day as being a national event in Australia, similar to how Super Bowl Sunday is almost a national holiday in the US (is that way off base?)

With that in mind I’m trying to imagine what happens when ther is no result, and a replay is required. As an NFL fan, I would love that if I was a neutral (more football next week!), but I’m sure the “pomp and circumstance” would be absent (the hoopla, the big name entertainment, etc). Ie, hardcore fans would be fine with it, but it wouldn’t be a huge event with more casual fans.

So just kind of curious what the “feel” is like when this happens in AFL. Thanks in advance.

Just realized I assumed I was responding to a neutral supporter watching from home, when he/she is a Collingwood fan and the most recent occurence involved the Pies. My apologies, in assuming you were a neutral- and watching from home. For all I know you were at the MCG (hope you were mate).

It would be a lot more fun for fans if we split into five-state AFL and the VFL. Yes, it'd be a financial disaster, so is never going to happen but aside from the money, think of how much joy we would get out of it. VFL clubs will achieve their heart's desire of playing each other at the MCG while the other clubs can create a national league without having to pacify the Melbourne clubs.

Draft and trade periods would be a lot more interesting with the two leagues trying to poach each other's players. There'll be a playoff between the leagues at the end of the year - or maybe best of three? VFL can keep the X league, the goal review and the protected zone.

Fun hey.

VFL vs the rest is the traditional divide in footy and is at the heart of a lot of the current disagreement. We'd all enjoy the game a lot more if we went with it instead of trying to smooth over it.

I’m not posting as a neutral but, as a supporter of the team that ended up winning 2010, I’d suggest that the “feel” wasn’t quite the same for the replay. It was interesting given that the match was billed as the “Grand Final for the people” given that more tickets were able to be sold to club members rather than corporates.

I think what you’re imagining is pretty spot-on though. AFL Grand Final day is huge everywhere in Australia except for perhaps New South Wales and Queensland, where the NRL Grand Final fills that role (used to be played a week later but is now the day after the AFL GF). The order of the day is generally mates and/or family around for a BBQ and beers, kick the footy at half-time, leftover BBQ and beers after the match (and maybe head out into town later on). The Replay certainly didn’t quite have the same “pomp and circumstance” as you mentioned (at least in the build-up to the game).

In saying this, in VFL/AFL history, there have only been 3 drawn Grand Finals. These occurred in 1948 (I doubt many, if any, posting here can tell us about it), 1977 and 2010 (the final draw). It’s hard to make a judgement based off such a small sample size. It also probably doesn’t help that all the GF Replays appear to have been pretty one-sided, not going close to capturing the atmosphere that comes with a drawn GF, nor are they remembered as fondly. If the 2010 Replay was close then I wouldn’t be surprised if they never abolished the GF Replay though.

Just realized I assumed I was responding to a neutral supporter watching from home, when he/she is a Collingwood fan and the most recent occurence involved the Pies. My apologies, in assuming you were a neutral- and watching from home. For all I know you were at the MCG (hope you were mate).

All good, apologies not required. Unfortunately I wasn't there I was watching from the Paddington Ale house in Mt. Hawthorn.

I was just rapt we won a flag, I've only seen 2 wins from 11 attempts - it's getting a bit thin.:(

It would be a lot more fun for fans if we split into five-state AFL and the VFL. Yes, it'd be a financial disaster, so is never going to happen but aside from the money, think of how much joy we would get out of it. VFL clubs will achieve their heart's desire of playing each other at the MCG while the other clubs can create a national league without having to pacify the Melbourne clubs.

I'm not so certain, I'm sure the vfl would stand alone and would have no issues financially generally speaking. As far as a national comp certainly the SA and WA teams would not have a money issue add Syd, they have enough supporter base to sustain itself and maybe even Bris

Draft and trade periods would be a lot more interesting with the two leagues trying to poach each other's players. There'll be a playoff between the leagues at the end of the year - or maybe best of three? VFL can keep the X league, the goal review and the protected zone.

That'd be just another SOO, and teams would avoid using their best players to avoid injury etc.

VFL vs the rest is the traditional divide in footy and is at the heart of a lot of the current disagreement. We'd all enjoy the game a lot more if we went with it instead of trying to smooth over it

Why is so important to "be better than the Vics"?, this has been going on before the national inception too. Was it because the game was born in Vic? Is it because it has always had the most participants and fan base?

I'll never understand why it's so important.

I’m not posting as a neutral but, as a supporter of the team that ended up winning 2010, I’d suggest that the “feel” wasn’t quite the same for the replay. It was interesting given that the match was billed as the “Grand Final for the people” given that more tickets were able to be sold to club members rather than corporates.

I think what you’re imagining is pretty spot-on though. AFL Grand Final day is huge everywhere in Australia except for perhaps New South Wales and Queensland, where the NRL Grand Final fills that role (used to be played a week later but is now the day after the AFL GF). The order of the day is generally mates and/or family around for a BBQ and beers, kick the footy at half-time, leftover BBQ and beers after the match (and maybe head out into town later on). The Replay certainly didn’t quite have the same “pomp and circumstance” as you mentioned (at least in the build-up to the game).

In saying this, in VFL/AFL history, there have only been 3 drawn Grand Finals. These occurred in 1948 (I doubt many, if any, posting here can tell us about it), 1977 and 2010 (the final draw). It’s hard to make a judgement based off such a small sample size. It also probably doesn’t help that all the GF Replays appear to have been pretty one-sided, not going close to capturing the atmosphere that comes with a drawn GF, nor are they remembered as fondly. If the 2010 Replay was close then I wouldn’t be surprised if they never abolished the GF Replay though.

Good info, thanks. I didn’t realize they had done away with replays.

You've got it pretty much exactly.

Not really.

Membership numbers are a sign of clubs actively looking to get a set of people to market and sell things to.

Less than 35% of club memberships in 2018 were the standard ‘home’ membership, the equivalent of the seasons ticket back in 1984.

Collingwood in 2018 to Collingwood in the 80s, is just like comparing ManU of 2018 to ManU of the 80s....ManU was hardly a juggernaut in the 80s in the English first division.

But come global TV $ and expansion of Premier League, they flourished and are now a global juggernaut.

You can’t change how AFL evolved, it is the VFL with a few add on teams...

Without the introduction of the non-Vic clubs the VFL would have become a comp of a few teams - number would have gone bankrupt. TV rights that covered all states saved them together with cash injection from the non-Vic clubs - undeniable facts.

Difference - Super Bowl is shared and it becomes a week long event in the city. Had the pleasure of going to the Pats vs Seahawks SB in Phoenix 2015. Have been to a number of AFL GFs and frankly the Super Bowl and the festivities s**t all over the AFL.

Without the introduction of the non-Vic clubs the VFL would have become a comp of a few teams - number would have gone bankrupt. TV rights that covered all states saved them together with cash injection from the non-Vic clubs - undeniable facts.

Apart from the tiny detail about how this isn't true, it'd be really compelling.

Difference - Super Bowl is shared and it becomes a week long event in the city. Had the pleasure of going to the Pats vs Seahawks SB in Phoenix 2015. Have been to a number of AFL GFs and frankly the Super Bowl and the festivities s**t all over the AFL.

Of course they do...The US is what, 14 times bigger than Australia? You'd kind of expect their big events to be significantly bigger.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back