Sydney Swans pushing AFL for a 3 Grand Final series : Caroline Wilson 5aa

Remove this Banner Ad

Good grief, NO! Look, I understand the frustration regarding the MCG being locked in as the GF venue but I can’t say it’s bothered me that much as I’ve never seen it as ever changing. Regardless, this idea isn’t the answer, at all.

Mind you, the greedy AFL might yet consider it - think of all the extra dollars it might generate ;)

Grand final day is like one of Australias most celebrated day, regardless of who you support. You get that BBQ happening with your family, sit close to the TV and cheer on a team cuz you hate the other team, have bets on players and team, call mates during half time and debate, ask the missus to get you a beer.

It would ruin the classic iconic day it is. I support the idea behind but nah Grand final day is much more than just two teams playing, it's a day that unites the country, it brings supporters across the country together at the greatest stage of all MCG.

Making it 3 series would ruin this feeling.

I can understand the sentiment behind this, but it's funny how often this didn't seem to matter when people were defending the ridiculous tradition of teams having to come back again next week in the event of a draw.

So you're saying it's the Grand Final of an international competition?
Lol

I bet you believe that Wimbledon is the World Tennis Grand Final to.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
It's exactly no different to Sheik Mohammad complaining that the Melbourne Cup isn't being held in Dubai, because he's been entering it for over 20 years and it's now an international event not just a Melbourne one. He might even whine that there'd no longer be a Melbourne Cup if he and his fellow international owners didn't come along and pay the exhorbitant entry fees. It would've gone broke :joycat:. Sound familiar?

It's exactly no different to Sheik Mohammad complaining that the Melbourne Cup isn't being held in Dubai, because he's been entering it for over 20 years and it's now an international event not just a Melbourne one. He might even whine that there'd no longer be a Melbourne Cup if he and his fellow international owners didn't come along and pay the exhorbitant entry fees. It would've gone broke :joycat:. Sound familiar?

It's very different.

One in an actual sporting competition with a winner at the end and the other is stand alone event.

Talk about stretching.

Seeing a grand final is a priveledge not a right.

That aside, If its THAT mportant to so many people, im sure once in their life they will cough up some money and get on a 1-4 hour plane trip.
What an absurdly simplistic throwaway comment...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And yet it seems to be a right for Victorians.....

..... who would never dream of forking out $2000 + per person for travel accommodation food lost wages etc. Just get your ticket and wander down to the ground.

Another example of trying to keep the AFL in the news.

Yep, there's a lot going on in other sports at the moment, and AFL is almost irrelevant at the moment. Best of 3 AFL Grand Final series ... I think I've heard it all now. Can you imagine the cheating going on in round 2 to make sure the series goes to game 3?

GF #3 at the home ground of whoever has the highest points aggregate over the first two games?

Also a new meaning to ‘straight sets’

Whether it's played in Melbourne, Sydney, Perth, New Zealand or on the Moon, the Grand Final should only ever be one game.

Agree with this. Footy just doesn't lend itself to being a best of 3 type arrangement. It works well in the NBA where the game only goes for 48 minutes and they play 82 of them a year before the playoffs even start, and I like the format of the UCL where the group stage is a round robin H&A then the knock out stages are H&A leading to a single final, but those are mid week games for teams that play 50-60 games a year.

A best of 3 AFL GF series would need to be 3 consecutive Saturdays. It's not a sport where you can fit a 7 game series into two weeks. And what happens if one of the games is a draw? If it finishes 1-1-1 do you play a 4th? Take the 3rd game to extra time? In those other examples it's also not just the final which is decided as a best of series. The NBL is a much smaller comp than the NBA and run a shorter season. They have a top 4 with best of 3 semis and then a best of 5 final (previously best of 3, and they've had different season structures over the years). It would be unusual to have our current top 8 set up with 3 weeks of finals and then the GF stretched over 3 weeks also. If we went to all finals a best of 3 then it would take a couple of months to determine a premier.

This could happen if we had an NBA Conference style setup:

1v8 2-0
2v7 2-0
3v6 2-0
4v5 2-1

3 teams wait around a week because one series goes to a third game.

1v4 2-0
2v3 2-1

1 waits around a week because 2v3 goes to a third game.

1v2 2-1

Finals go for 9 weeks.

They play a best of 3 (or 5, or 7) in many other sports.

Hardly batshit crazy, and fundamentally an interesting suggestion.
Well in baseball and basketball they do, sure. Non contact sports where games can readily be scheduled 2 or 3 days apart. The most readily comparable major overseas sport is the US NFL. Haven't heard of anyone suggesting making the Superbowl best of 3. I appreciate Superbowl is played at a neutral venue but it is much easier there where there a plethora of cities with large stadia suitable for hosting duties and a massive population ready and able to travel across the country to get there. No dispute a best of series on a H & A basis is more equitable, but the trade off from losing the one iconic event is just too much. And the logistics of an even more extended season . Unless you can get the TV Networks to accept a 17 round fixture in exchange for 3 GF dates. Good luck with that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back