Sydney Swans pushing AFL for a 3 Grand Final series : Caroline Wilson 5aa

Remove this Banner Ad

Grand final day is like one of Australias most celebrated day, regardless of who you support. You get that BBQ happening with your family, sit close to the TV and cheer on a team cuz you hate the other team, have bets on players and team, call mates during half time and debate, ask the missus to get you a beer.

It would ruin the classic iconic day it is. I support the idea behind but nah Grand final day is much more than just two teams playing, it's a day that unites the country, it brings supporters across the country together at the greatest stage of all MCG.

Making it 3 series would ruin this feeling.

The more interesting bit of this is that the MCG contract was supposedly signed only last week. Who else thought this was signed many many months ago?

If true, would just go to show that the AFL can not only make unilateral decisions to benefit Victorian clubs, but can keep a secret and ignore any criticism for a sustained length of time whilst doing so.

I’m sure the only grand final which might have changed on the strength of best of three would be 2017
2016. No way the umpiring fraternity would have got away with two or three matches umpiring two teams to different sets of rules. As it is, it took 6 months before the football world finally called it out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess the issue is there is far far too much tradition behind a one off Grand Final. And that said, even in Football the big competitions have one off finals. World Cup is a knock out tournament, and the Champions League is 2 legs in the lead up but the final is usually on neutral ground.

The only adjustment the AFL could make would be the ground dimensions, but then how different is the MCG to the grounds in Adelaide, Perth and Sydney?

What's the deal with all these interstate clubs whining all of a sudden? Have they always whined this much? I don't remember it being such a offended topic
I don't think it's where the GF is played is the big issue as in my opinion the AFL should just leave that alone, but some of the fixtures leading up to the GF is more the issue, like last year Richmond not leaving the State for how many weeks was it, and looking at the fixtures for 2019 Richmond has a dream run again should they make the big dance. There must be a better way of managing this where Richmond and the like (it could be Essendon, Carlton or Collingwood for that matter) where you would think somewhere in the latter part of the season they would have to travel interstate at least twice!! Otherwise it just looks as though the AFL are trying to buy that team a premiership?

For those who didn't listen to the audio, the important part from Caro was: "I think in the contract there's something which says the [premiership-deciding match] has to be played at the MCG."

In other words, if a best-of-3 series ever did eventuate during the next 40 years, the second and third games are already locked in at the 'G.

What's the deal with all these interstate clubs whining all of a sudden? Have they always whined this much? I don't remember it being such a offended topic
Well the vic clubs started whining about academies and cola etc so I guess they thought if it was good enough for the Mexicans it's good enough for us

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I think it's a great idea. Clearly they'd also have to make the H&A games best of 3 to negate the advantage the non-Victorian teams get over the Victorian teams during the season. If they're levelling the playing field, they'd level it for everyone. That should make for a 80+ round season. Awesome idea.

I think it's a great idea. Clearly they'd also have to make the H&A games best of 3 to negate the advantage the non-Victorian teams get over the Victorian teams during the season. If they're levelling the playing field, they'd level it for everyone. That should make for a 80+ round season. Awesome idea.

Lol what advantage?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back