Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts SuperCoach Club Board Winner
Sep 28, 2005
Between ANZ & the SCG
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Bloods
Haven't seen a heap of West Coast this year. Seems their mids are going alright though.

Can't let Priddis run around finding outside runners all day or our backline will struggle.

Tuco

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts SuperCoach Club Board Winner
Sep 28, 2005
Between ANZ & the SCG
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Bloods
images.jpg

connolly

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2015
General Santos City, Mindanao
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Persis Solo, Davao Aguilas FC
I think

Out
Foote

In
McVeigh

seems most likely.
Its a big ground. He is now really too slow. Some players drop off their pace really quickly when they hit the veteran stage. Foote deserves a chance on the big ground with his pace and run. Will be very surprised if they take the skipper over for this one.

connolly

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2015
General Santos City, Mindanao
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Persis Solo, Davao Aguilas FC
Could it be that the gameplan requiring such gut busting running both ways interfers with kicking efficiency?

These guys are supposed to be the best in the land at kicking to targets 20-40m distance away however all too often Swans mids can't hit the short 30m target. I don't as a fan expect elite and perfect kicks however it is so frustrating watching continual turn overs. It kills momentum and tires out Swans players more by having to back track to defend when hopelessly out of position running forwards of their opponents.

Swans had the 2nd worst disposal efficiency this round behind the Crows who lost (edit until gws vs port game in wet weather). Has any team won a flag in this modern era with the Swans disposal efficiency?
Collingwood 1990
Any team with James Manson and Tony Shaw in the spine must have been the worst kicking premiership team in history. They had one good kick Daicos Also the Hawthorn premiership teams of the 70's bombed the ball and knocked it on. Our 2005 team wasn't a great kicking side. LRT, Ablett, Bevan, Buchanan, Schnieder regularly butchered the ball.

So anyway. Haven't seen a lot of Freo this year. Hope Fyfe doesn't do too much damage to us And I'm really concerned about Barlow. ;):p
Just hope John Hutton doesnt kick a bag on us again. I think he kicked 8 on us twice in a handful of games.

Its a big ground. He is now really too slow. Some players drop off their pace really quickly when they hit the veteran stage. Foote deserves a chance on the big ground with his pace and run. Will be very surprised if they take the skipper over for this one.
It's not much bigger than the SCG, just longer and narrower. Think the SCG is about 98.7% of the size of Subi or something similar.

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
It's not much bigger than the SCG, just longer and narrower. Think the SCG is about 98.7% of the size of Subi or something similar.
Which prompts me to point out that Subi holds very little fear for the Swans. We have an extremely good win record there going back a long way. (I'm sure some stats nerd can assist?) We seem to be one of the few teams that doesn't get knocked about by the travel, jetlag and partisan crowd.

I want an unchanged line-up. I have no doubt Horse & co would have torn the senior players to shreds for their efforts against the Blues. Even Grundy and Rampe, while still OK, could have done a lot better. Grundy let Casboult have a lot of time and space, and Rampe wasn't his usual reliable self. And even the commentators couldn't stop talking about how our mids were butchering it. I suspect and hope they'll have fine-tuned things for this week.

I back the kids to go over to Perth and take on the Dockers. They're also a young side (with a few fossils) but they probably won't have Ballantyne, Fyfe, Sandilands, Barlow, Ibbotson (?)... no better time for the kids to face the Dockers away from home than this week. Give McVeigh another week to rest, don't let McGlynn and Teddy back in, we don't need Marsh as Freo have no forward line.

If we're all being honest with ourselves, we should be able to go into this one unchanged with a younger side and still win. Fremantle have been insipid out of the middle, they've got hardly any forwards who can trouble us (Pav usually tears Teddy a new one, but I doubt Grundy would let him), and their back-line is just as young and probably can't restrain our mobile forwards. There is just no way Freo should win this no matter how much they decide to turn up and give their all for Pavlich. We shouldn't allow them to be in the game. It really is up to us this week.

I get sick of continually reading about the "small" scg which isn't that much smaller than most grounds since the redevelopments.

Shorter, wider but not much smaller

I get sick of continually reading about the "small" scg which isn't that much smaller than most grounds since the redevelopments.

Surely if you are used to a so called bigger ground it is easier to go to smaller
So if it is super small it only hurts sydney surely

Yep it's a myth that just never seems to die.

Funny thing is that you even hear some coaches and media personalities saying it. Weird when you think the SCG is bigger than grounds like Etihad and Adelaide, and nearly identical in dimensions to the Gabba.

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
I want an unchanged line-up. I have no doubt Horse & co would have torn the senior players to shreds for their efforts against the Blues. Even Grundy and Rampe, while still OK, could have done a lot better. Grundy let Casboult have a lot of time and space, and Rampe wasn't his usual reliable self. And even the commentators couldn't stop talking about how our mids were butchering it. I suspect and hope they'll have fine-tuned things for this week.

Minor point but I think you're underselling Grundy who beat Casboult easily. 11 touches, 3 marks, 1 goal is all. The marking contest that Casboult kicked his one goal from was pretty poor by Grundy's standards but otherwise he had him in check pretty comfortably to me - not that Casboult is a huge scalp though.

Agreed Rampe definitely had a few odd fluff moments. Played OK but there were a few physical contests in which he didn't assert himself as strongly as he normally does.

Minor point but I think you're underselling Grundy who beat Casboult easily. 11 touches, 3 marks, 1 goal is all. The marking contest that Casboult kicked his one goal from was pretty poor by Grundy's standards but otherwise he had him in check pretty comfortably to me - not that Casboult is a huge scalp though.

Agreed Rampe definitely had a few odd fluff moments. Played OK but there were a few physical contests in which he didn't assert himself as strongly as he normally does.

Both remotely far from their best is still good enough to beat their opponents and do their roles. It's just with so many other players down, it was disappointing two of our most reliable decided to join the party.

In: McVeigh (If fit) and McGlynn mainly due to reserves bye

Out Foote & maybe Towers/Cunningham.
Can't expect to play too much inexperience come finals so get the team settled for these last rounds. No need to give up our spot in the four taking chances on players unless they perform immediately it' just getting too late for that. Hard nut like McGlynn in against a pumped up Docker line up please.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Training loads.. Right

Time to train with those bricks round your ankles boys

Sinclair played with his on all year

Sinclair has a knee issue he is carrying, i just don't think he is a big deal i think it's the best we could of done out of the Jetta deal.

He plays or he doesn't wont make much difference to the team if/when Tippett comes back out goes Sinclair regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back