Preview Sydney Swans v North Melbourne in Tassie Marsh community game Monday

mikey_san

Premiership Player
Mar 17, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
I still think if we can get our shit together enough we could legit be undefeated after the first month. That's not me being hyperbolic, just looking at the draw.

Adelaide - crap, we're usually good over in Adelaide.
Essendon - crap, our home ground is a bigger worry than this opponent.
Gold Coast - crap, battle of two young sides.
Carlton - crap, battle of two young sides, they only won last year cause of the ruck situation.

Not saying we won't be crap. We only need to be slightly less crap than our opponents, which is a very big possibility. If we were 4-0 then who knows what sort of momentum that could give us.
We could win the flag if they call the season after the fourth round due to the virus. :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Caj

Club Legend
Jul 23, 2004
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool
Far from a Longmire fan but judging him on 2 pre-season games is pointless (the wasted years of 2013-2018 is another story!)

He clearly didn't prioritise winning yesterday's game or Amartey wouldn't have been rucking in the last against Goldstein. Lets see what we serve up in the real season before stressing too much.

I'm with Ceasar in expecting us to surprise on the upside this season

P Kelly Legend

All Australian
Dec 6, 2010
Docklands
AFL Club
Sydney
he's not judged on two practice matches......

'17 - 2 finals 1 win 5.9 (39) v Geelong 15.8 (98) - 23 scoring shots to 14. Syd 2.5 after halftime (One Big win over a pathetic Essendon who haven't played in a final since)
'18 - 1 final 0 wins Syd 4.6 (30) v GWS 10.19 (79) 29 scoring shots to 10. Syd 2.2 after halftime
'19 - no finals
'20 - despite the hope & prayers - there will no finals for swans, imo. more than happy to be wrong.

The trend is your friend. His time is done.

Last edited:

The King!

Chosen One
Aug 3, 2004
Backwater
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Cavs, Redsox, Patriots

'17 - 2 finals 1 win 5.9 (39) v Geelong 15.8 (98) - 23 scoring shots to 14. Syd 2.5 after halftime (One Big win over a pathetic Essendon who haven't played in a final since)
'18 - 1 final 0 wins Syd 4.6 (30) v GWS 10.19 (79) 29 scoring shots to 10. Syd 2.2 after halftime
'19 - no finals
'20 - despite the hope & prayers - there will no finals for swans, imo. more than happy to be wrong.

This will end well

Caj

Club Legend
Jul 23, 2004
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool

'19 - no finals

you didn’t read the part in my post in brackets

Kirkswan

Premiership Player
May 10, 2014
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
And ours is currently one of the employed one's, yet so many of you negative types on here have Longmire sacked on the back of two (albeit terrible) pre season games!
How many times over the years - including when we were a consistent top 6 team, have we EVER done ANYTHING in the pre-season?
Exactly! Go back and watch the first round of 2016 v Collingwood... the commentators were beside themselves having tipped Collingwood to be great, and we slaughtered them... don't think they scored until the second quarter!

Olian

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2013
Between the Bridges
AFL Club
Sydney

'19 - no finals

Melting before the season has started. This will be a long season for some.

Donza

Club Legend
Sep 13, 2016
The Gong
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Black Caps the Mighty All Black

Essendon finished 8th last year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

P Kelly Legend

All Australian
Dec 6, 2010
Docklands
AFL Club
Sydney
Essendon finished 8th last year
Well your right...they got flogged but yeah....don’t think that changes the trend though....and yes it is going to be a long year, especially if you have your hopes in the Essendon’s ‘19 blaze of glory vain....we have a young list and we all know it will take time....I just don’t think Longmire is the person for the job.....he’s good to his pets though..(.Caj I wasn’t responding to u, although my response appears directly after yours)

Last edited:

Donza

Club Legend
Sep 13, 2016
The Gong
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Black Caps the Mighty All Black
I'll respond to your rant... even though I think i'll use it as a toilet paper..

Trend- Swans miss finals for first time in decade .. and if you go back further than that.... dem odds look tidy.

Trend- swans have scored below the league average for the first time in 22 seasons straight (next best was the crows on 7 years straight)

They are trends .

Looking at 3 seasons (as you did ) is not a trend.

caesar88

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Well your right...they got flogged but yeah....don’t think that changes the trend though....and yes it is going to be a long year, especially if you have your hopes in the Essendon’s ‘19 blaze of glory vain....we have a young list and we all know it will take time....I just don’t think Longmire is the person for the job.....he’s good to his pets though..(.Caj I wasn’t responding to u, although my response appears directly after yours)
I see where you're coming from on a few things.

Do you doubt Horse is the right person for this group because he refuses to play a style that's attacking and not defensive-centric, or do you think he's willing to play a style that's attacking and less defensive but just isn't very good at it? In other words, do you reckon he's unwilling or unable?

P Kelly Legend

All Australian
Dec 6, 2010
Docklands
AFL Club
Sydney
I'll respond to your rant... even though I think i'll use it as a toilet paper..

Trend- Swans miss finals for first time in decade .. and if you go back further than that.... dem odds look tidy.

Trend- swans have scored below the league average for the first time in 22 seasons straight (next best was the crows on 7 years straight)

They are trends .

Great - you’ll be using your own hand wiping your arse with 0’s & 1’s....we all are welcome to our opinions....but keep emotion out of it.....what you do with anything, no one cares...3 years is a trend, ...What’s wrong with questioning Longmire...he ain’t that special...

caesar88

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney

They are trends .

Maybe we should all print out each other's opinions and use the ones we don't like as toilet paper in the toilet paper wars.

Punts

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 11, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney

Do you doubt Horse is the right person for this group because he refuses to play a style that's attacking and not defensive-centric, or do you think he's willing to play a style that's attacking and less defensive but just isn't very good at it? In other words, do you reckon he's unwilling or unable?
You had him sacked at halftime of the cats game in 18 at skilled lol

We all probably did

caesar88

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
You had him sacked at halftime of the cats game in 18 at skilled lol

We all probably did
Probably, but hey we all say things on gameday threads, especially if we've had a few!

He frustrated me most last year in the Geelong match. Objectively speaking Horse coaches the Cattery better than anyone but last year changed it up and went ultra-defensive, stuffed around with Reid when he was actually looking on for once inside 50, and I reckon his coaching lost us that game more than anything, because we were right in it but we refused to take the game on and push the Cats. That was a shithouse coaching effort I thought and I won't blame that call on the gameday thread!

P Kelly Legend

All Australian
Dec 6, 2010
Docklands
AFL Club
Sydney

I have never said at anytime, anything about horses paying style or positioning of certain players etc...I don’t care.......all I’m doing is observing the obvious (at least to me) - he’s coaching more for his lifestyle/mortgage than what the club needs now in its stage of development...I don’t care if we make the finals for whatever period... but when we do, I dont want the swans making up the numbers. 2016 was incredible year and we unluckily fell short...that was our peak but it took the current management to long to acknowledge exactly where we are at...the ‘18 final series debacle was the point he should have moved on...

caesar88

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
I have never said at anytime, anything about horses paying style or positioning of certain players etc...I don’t care.......all I’m doing is observing the obvious (at least to me) - he’s coaching more for his lifestyle/mortgage than what the club needs now in its stage of development...I don’t care if we make the finals for whatever period... but when we do, I dont want the swans making up the numbers. 2016 was incredible year and we unluckily fell short...that was our peak but it took the current management to long to acknowledge exactly where we are at...the ‘18 final series debacle was the point he should have moved on...
But isn't the playing style, position of players etc relevant to his coaching?

He did well with a certain group of players playing a certain style suited to those players. He now has a different group of players who will need to play a certain style that suits them. I would just rather wait and see how he does with his second era of coaching before definitively saying he's a failure who should be sacked. But to each their own.

Top Bottom