Preview Sydney Swans v North Melbourne in Tassie Marsh community game Monday

You had him sacked at halftime of the cats game in 18 at skilled lol

We all probably did

Probably, but hey we all say things on gameday threads, especially if we've had a few!

He frustrated me most last year in the Geelong match. Objectively speaking Horse coaches the Cattery better than anyone but last year changed it up and went ultra-defensive, stuffed around with Reid when he was actually looking on for once inside 50, and I reckon his coaching lost us that game more than anything, because we were right in it but we refused to take the game on and push the Cats. That was a shithouse coaching effort I thought and I won't blame that call on the gameday thread!

Keyter

All Australian
Dec 6, 2010
Docklands
AFL Club
Sydney
I see where you're coming from on a few things.

Do you doubt Horse is the right person for this group because he refuses to play a style that's attacking and not defensive-centric, or do you think he's willing to play a style that's attacking and less defensive but just isn't very good at it? In other words, do you reckon he's unwilling or unable?
I have never said at anytime, anything about horses paying style or positioning of certain players etc...I don’t care.......all I’m doing is observing the obvious (at least to me) - he’s coaching more for his lifestyle/mortgage than what the club needs now in its stage of development...I don’t care if we make the finals for whatever period... but when we do, I dont want the swans making up the numbers. 2016 was incredible year and we unluckily fell short...that was our peak but it took the current management to long to acknowledge exactly where we are at...the ‘18 final series debacle was the point he should have moved on...

I have never said at anytime, anything about horses paying style or positioning of certain players etc...I don’t care.......all I’m doing is observing the obvious (at least to me) - he’s coaching more for his lifestyle/mortgage than what the club needs now in its stage of development...I don’t care if we make the finals for whatever period... but when we do, I dont want the swans making up the numbers. 2016 was incredible year and we unluckily fell short...that was our peak but it took the current management to long to acknowledge exactly where we are at...the ‘18 final series debacle was the point he should have moved on...

But isn't the playing style, position of players etc relevant to his coaching?

He did well with a certain group of players playing a certain style suited to those players. He now has a different group of players who will need to play a certain style that suits them. I would just rather wait and see how he does with his second era of coaching before definitively saying he's a failure who should be sacked. But to each their own.

Donza

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2016
The Gong
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Black Caps the Mighty All Black

He did well with a certain group of players playing a certain style suited to those players. He now has a different group of players who will need to play a certain style that suits them. I would just rather wait and see how he does with his second era of coaching before definitively saying he's a failure who should be sacked. But to each their own.
Coaches get teams to finals... It's a long game.
Players win finals..
* don't mention 16. I'm still Victoria bitter

Coaches get teams to finals... It's a long game.
Players win finals..
* don't mention 16. I'm still Victoria bitter

What happened in 16? All I can remember is

1200px-SMPTE_Color_Bars.svg (1).png

Keyter

All Australian
Dec 6, 2010
Docklands
AFL Club
Sydney

Despite all the focus on game style etc, which is a part of it, the players make decisions in split seconds, milliseconds, that’s all they have the majority of the time. What I sense is a group, with a few exceptions, making decisions on what they think the boss wants, what’s been drilled into them. And sure that has its place, but the instinctive decision , decisions that comes from reading the play as it is unfolding, from the heart.... well I sense under Horse that this balance is out of whack and its only getting worse....in other words he’s reaching for his serve because he knows it has worked before, but he’s shutting downing the instinctive side of this young group to much...understandable if your more worried about your job over development....understandable if the clubs focus is building a new training facility and needs every $ it can get... understandable if a good home crowd are happy turning up to enjoy buddy and that will do.....

Despite all the focus on game style etc, which is a part of it, the players make decisions in split seconds, milliseconds, that’s all they have the majority of the time. What I sense is a group, with a few exceptions, making decisions on what they think the boss wants, what’s been drilled into them. And sure that has its place, but the instinctive decision , decisions that comes from reading the play as it is unfolding, from the heart.... well I sense under Horse that this balance is out of whack and its only getting worse....in other words he’s reaching for his serve because he knows it has worked before, but he’s shutting downing the instinctive side of this young group to much...understandable if your more worried about your job over development....understandable if the clubs focus is building a new training facility and needs every $ it can get... understandable if a good home crowd are happy turning up to enjoy buddy and that will do.....

I actually don't entirely disagree with the first half. But I don't agree that Horse would be shooting his own still-young career (he is not even 50) in the foot purely for commercial reasons. He'd have no interest in that. Harley, Pridham & co maybe, but then it all goes down the tubes anyway if the club is not successful on field as well. So I do believe Horse thinks he is doing what is best for the team. I already have my lingering doubts that Horse might not be the right person for this group, only because it will require something so different from what he's known and been successful with before. But I still think it's worth waiting to see how it pans out before reaching that conclusion.

Maybe we should all print out each other's opinions and use the ones we don't like as toilet paper in the toilet paper wars.

I’ve moved to waffle stomping

Swans also have a plethora of other coaches.
Their input contributes.

That horse picks - all report to him except Harley and Gardner interestingly

It’s off topic but John Longmire is one of the greatest coaches in the league

He won a flag and made lots of finals

He is an astute tactician and he will build us to glory again as sure As the sun rises

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
Sorry Kingy that post read like a direct shot at you, which was not my intention, I was just a bit over all the player, club and coach bashing, coming on top of two pre-season games.

For the record I don't think we are going to do much this year - my heart says premier's (It always does whilst there's the slightest chance), but my very logical brain says no and that's okay, it doesn't mean I'm going to be spewing endless vitriolic crap.
Well said Jewelsy!

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
That horse picks - all report to him except Harley and Gardner interestingly

Horse may pick them but if the pool to choose from (who are willing to move to Sydney) is shallow, what do you do?

Cox is the only one that has moved here really. All the rest were either already here for some time or moved back to Sydney (Kirk).

Horse may pick them but if the pool to choose from (who are willing to move to Sydney) is shallow, what do you do?

Cox is the only one that has moved here really. All the rest were either already here for some time or moved back to Sydney (Kirk).

has the club said we cant attract staff or players?

Back