Preview Sydney Swans vs Brisbane Lions - The making of an absolute classic

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally I was going to write a preview for South Melbourne vs Fitzroy in 1968 at the Lake Oval (A fantastic high scoring match that ended out with South Melbourne 17.15 117 to Fitzroy 13.12 90 with Bob Skilton being awarded best on ground with 35 disposals and 3 goals).

BUT I have decided for once not to write a joke preview as this match up is shaping as one of the defining matches of the season, Brisbane are actually relevant and has the look of being an absolute classic (Plus Ticky009 was originally going to write this one up so felt like I can avoid giving the mods a little bit of noise this week).

fPtSiQUD.jpg

Round 7 - Sydney Swans vs Brisbane Lions
Date and Time:
Sunday the 1st of May at 4:40PM (GMT+10)
Odds (Sportsbet): Sydney $1.86 Brisbane $1.98 (Gamble responsibly)
Weather: Expected Rain and a top of 19

The Story So Far

Sydney -
Our heroes for this wonderful evening/ late afternoon (Twilight is the word I am looking for here) have been in solid touch so far this year, even if you are an impatient negative nancy like a few on this board (Sorry Punts ) if you were offered the chance to be 5 and 1 this season after our first 6 rounds (GWS Away, Geelong at Home, WB Away, North at home, WCE away and Hawthorn at home) you would have taken it in a second. Yes you can argue we haven't put in a full 4 quarter performance but not many clubs have, especially when they have an inexperienced list like ours.

Sydney's youngsters have all taken a strong step on their development with McInerney, Campbell, Blakey, Gulden and McCartin all having taken massive steps forwards, whilst the recruitment of Paddy Mac has helped fill a massive hole in defence. This is before the continued improvement of Heeney and Mills... once you put all of these wonderful flavours into a pot you start to smell the sweet scent of success.

Brisbane - Like it or not Brisbane will be one of our major contenders this season (And are the team I see as the biggest threat to Melbourne going back to back). Incredibly balanced across every line with stars the whole way down their spine (Andrews, McCluggage, Daniher, McInerney, Neale, Lyons, Cameron and Bailey) Brisbane have enough power/ threats to push any team in the league and should be in the top 4 come September.

So far this season Brisbane have had a pretty easy draw, outside of a close loss to Geelong in Geelong they have done what is required of them and put their opposition away with ease most weeks. Yes they have had a few down performances (Collingwood and Port games in particular) but they have still managed to bring in strong results which is the making of any good football team.

The Key Matchups

Sydney Offence vs Brisbane Defence

Let me be frank here, do not expect Franklin to get off the chain and have a massive match this week. Harris Andrews is arguably (Tom McCartin aside) the best defender in the league and is one of the few options across the league with the game to go toe to toe with Franklin at his peak. Ideally we will use Franklin up the ground as much as possible and try to cause some chaos matchups in the 50. In particular Heeney, Ronke and Papley (If he comes in), if Brisbane have a weakness similar to us it is lockdown small defender options so hopefully we can lower our eyes hitting forward 50 and stretch them here.

The midfield battle
This is going to be painful reading, but expect Brisbane to get clearance dominance this weekend. Whilst I hope Ladhams can go toe to toe with McInerney unfortunately I think a midfield of Lyons, Neale, Zorko and McLuggage has a little too much depth on the inside for us. BUT there is always hope and I can see us damaging Brisbane on the outside with pace and fast movement.

If Mills, Parker and Kennedy (Who I expect to play and do a defensive job on Neale) can break to even 40% of Brisbane's clearance dominance then this will go a long way to us winning the match.

Sydney Defence vs Brisbane Offence
If the midfield battle was grim reading then I apologise for what comes next because Brisbane have a versatile forward line on paper that we are likely going to struggle with. We don't have a natural matchup for Daniher (Likely to be Tom McCartin who can be liable when led up the ground) and are going to have to heavily rely on Rampe getting off his man (Most likely McStay) to cover leading lanes. This still pales in comparison to the big problem of their small dynamic forwards who we lack matchups for, Charlie Cameron, Zac Bailey, McCarthy and Rayner are all winning options on their day so Campbell, Llyod and Cunningham are going to have their work cut out for them.

It wouldn't surprise me to see maybe Melican or Gould come in for Paddy McCartin so potentially Rampe can play small this weekend, because we lack options here and it scares me.

How Sydney can win
This matchup starts and ends in the midfield, I firmly believe if we can win 40% of the clearances Brisbane won't have the run to match it with us on the outside and this will be our clearest path to victory.

The other key to victory is quick rebounds from defence, if we can rebound from defensive 50 with ease on Sunday this will assist us with getting the win, Bailey, McCarthy, McStay, Daniher and Rayner aren't known for their defensive pressure, so if we can avoid repeated defensive 50 stoppages this will assist us with getting the win.

Final Predictions

Heeney with 5 goals
Charlie Cameron with 3 goals
Franklin with 2
Neale to be held to only 22 disposals by a resurgent JPK

Sydney to finish 11 points ahead on the scoreboard but football to be the real winner!

easy gif1650972768698.gif

Last edited:

Why isn’t there a thread for the lions

Takes days to come

Why can’t we have a changes thread or something in the meantime straight after the game

Did you know we still need people to write up more previews?

If you want a thread up live immediately after the game how about you write one yourself :) That way you can predict us to lose by 1,000,000 points whilst Florent kicks the ball out on the full 10 times and Stephens gets dropped to the NEAFL reserves.

Thread can be found here :)

Originally I was going to write a preview for South Melbourne vs Fitzroy in 1968 at the Lake Oval (A fantastic high scoring match that ended out with South Melbourne 17.15 117 to Fitzroy 13.12 90 with Bob Skilton being awarded best on ground with 35 disposals and 3 goals).

BUT I have decided for once not to write a joke preview as this match up is shaping as one of the defining matches of the season, Brisbane are actually relevant and has the look of being an absolute classic (Plus Ticky009 was originally going to write this one up so felt like I can avoid giving the mods a little bit of noise this week).

fPtSiQUD.jpg

Round 7 - Sydney Swans vs Brisbane Lions
Date and Time:
Sunday the 1st of May at 4:40PM (GMT+10)
Odds (Sportsbet): Sydney $1.86 Brisbane $1.98 (Gamble responsibly)
Weather: Expected Rain and a top of 19

The Story So Far

Sydney -
Our heroes for this wonderful evening/ late afternoon (Twilight is the word I am looking for here) have been in solid touch so far this year, even if you are an impatient negative nancy like a few on this board (Sorry Punts ) if you were offered the chance to be 5 and 1 this season after our first 6 rounds (GWS Away, Geelong at Home, WB Away, North at home, WCE away and Hawthorn at home) you would have taken it in a second. Yes you can argue we haven't put in a full 4 quarter performance but not many clubs have, especially when they have an inexperienced list like ours.

Sydney's youngsters have all taken a strong step on their development with McInerney, Campbell, Blakey, Gulden and McCartin all having taken massive steps forwards, whilst the recruitment of Paddy Mac has helped fill a massive hole in defence. This is before the continued improvement of Heeney and Mills... once you put all of these wonderful flavours into a pot you start to smell the sweet scent of success.

Brisbane - Like it or not Brisbane will be one of our major contenders this season (And are the team I see as the biggest threat to Melbourne going back to back). Incredibly balanced across every line with stars the whole way down their spine (Andrews, McCluggage, Daniher, McInerney, Neale, Lyons, Cameron and Bailey) Brisbane have enough power/ threats to push any team in the league and should be in the top 4 come September.

So far this season Brisbane have had a pretty easy draw, outside of a close loss to Geelong in Geelong they have done what is required of them and put their opposition away with ease most weeks. Yes they have had a few down performances (Collingwood and Port games in particular) but they have still managed to bring in strong results which is the making of any good football team.

The Key Matchups

Sydney Offence vs Brisbane Defence

Let me be frank here, do not expect Franklin to get off the chain and have a massive match this week. Harris Andrews is arguably (Tom McCartin aside) the best defender in the league and is one of the few options across the league with the game to go toe to toe with Franklin at his peak. Ideally we will use Franklin up the ground as much as possible and try to cause some chaos matchups in the 50. In particular Heeney, Ronke and Papley (If he comes in), if Brisbane have a weakness similar to us it is lockdown small defender options so hopefully we can lower our eyes hitting forward 50 and stretch them here.

The midfield battle
This is going to be painful reading, but expect Brisbane to get clearance dominance this weekend. Whilst I hope Ladhams can go toe to toe with McInerney unfortunately I think a midfield of Lyons, Neale, Zorko and McLuggage has a little too much depth on the inside for us. BUT there is always hope and I can see us damaging Brisbane on the outside with pace and fast movement.

If Mills, Parker and Kennedy (Who I expect to play and do a defensive job on Neale) can break to even 40% of Brisbane's clearance dominance then this will go a long way to us winning the match.

Sydney Defence vs Brisbane Offence
If the midfield battle was grim reading then I apologise for what comes next because Brisbane have a versatile forward line on paper that we are likely going to struggle with. We don't have a natural matchup for Daniher (Likely to be Tom McCartin who can be liable when led up the ground) and are going to have to heavily rely on Rampe getting off his man (Most likely McStay) to cover leading lanes. This still pales in comparison to the big problem of their small dynamic forwards who we lack matchups for, Charlie Cameron, Zac Bailey, McCarthy and Rayner are all winning options on their day so Campbell, Llyod and Cunningham are going to have their work cut out for them.

It wouldn't surprise me to see maybe Melican or Gould come in for Paddy McCartin so potentially Rampe can play small this weekend, because we lack options here and it scares me.

How Sydney can win
This matchup starts and ends in the midfield, I firmly believe if we can win 40% of the clearances Brisbane won't have the run to match it with us on the outside and this will be our clearest path to victory.

The other key to victory is quick rebounds from defence, if we can rebound from defensive 50 with ease on Sunday this will assist us with getting the win, Bailey, McCarthy, McStay, Daniher and Rayner aren't known for their defensive pressure, so if we can avoid repeated defensive 50 stoppages this will assist us with getting the win.

Final Predictions

Heeney with 5 goals
Charlie Cameron with 3 goals
Franklin with 2
Neale to be held to only 22 disposals by a resurgent JPK

Sydney to finish 11 points ahead on the scoreboard but football to be the real winner!

great work

Almost don't want to admit this but I like Brisbane and their supporters. I want them to lose badly this week but if we can't win the premiership I would not be against them winning it.

My father is an old Fitzroy supporter (83) I have always loved Brisbane like a second team and in return he cheers on the Swans like a second one for himself.

Almost don't want to admit this but I like Brisbane and their supporters. I want them to lose badly this week but if we can't win the premiership I would not be against them winning it.
Well said! My thoughts run along similar lines...

Also for some fun reading and banter.

One of the greatest threads in history.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mitch Robinson doesn't rate the Swans. He was the only tipster at afl.com.au to pick the Eagles to beat us then doubled down the next round and selected the Hawks. He's likely back from injury this week, I hope some of our players read the tips.

Also for some fun reading and banter.

One of the greatest threads in history.

Yep. It is all taken in good fun.

Great preview Bonz!

Who is the absolute derp that fixtured this game (which always had a strong likelihood of being a top 4 match) as the last of the round in the Sunday twilight spot? Don't care what the AFL says, they don't give a damn about growing the game in the Northern states.

My ideal changes would be:
IN - Papley, JPK, MeliCAN (those last two read like Grand Uncle Horace's worst nightmare.)
OUT - Bell, Rowbottom, P. McCartin & McDonald

(Have I done that correctly? Get so confused about the number of ins and outs with this ******* medical sub business.)

Great preview Bonz!

Who is the absolute derp that fixtured this game (which always had a strong likelihood of being a top 4 match) as the last of the round in the Sunday twilight spot? Don't care what the AFL says, they don't give a damn about growing the game in the Northern states.

My ideal changes would be:
IN - Papley, JPK, MeliCAN (those last two read like Grand Uncle Horace's worst nightmare.)
OUT - Bell, Rowbottom, P. McCartin & McDonald

(Have I done that correctly? Get so confused about the number of ins and outs with this ******* medical sub business.)
Yep then one of the 4 emergencies becomes the sub

Superb Bonz . And with the added bonus of weather confirmation from Donza, it’s the BonzaDonza show this week.

With the emergence of a re-invigorated JPK, I foresee:

Out: McD, Paddy Mac
In: JPK, Reid

As much as I’d love Papley return to spark up our forward line, the Swans injury dept still has at least 1-2 weeks of ruthless teasing left in them. After all, only in Swans-land does a “hamstring tweak” become 10 weeks.

And somehow, Bell holds his spot again.

Last edited:
I feel more confident leading into this match than I have for any of our other matches. Lions won't know what hit them
I feel weirdly confident too. My only doubts stem from not knowing whether we decide to show up or not, and the game being at the SCG.

This is essentially an 8 point game. A win would set the rest of our season up nicely.

Lions forwards will be handful with the best attack this season. Swans slightly in front in the defensive stakes (third vs fourth) and with the third best attack.

Out: P McCartin and McDonald
In: Reid and Melican

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back