Preview Sydney Swans vs Brisbane Lions - The making of an absolute classic

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smash them in the middle and we win this. Don't care how tall their forwards are if they don't get the ball.
Yeah, I think that'll be the aim (not that it's worked out for us much). Have Reid starting forward, Blakey minding the resting ruck. Swing Reid back if it doesn't work.

JPK has to be in the mids though. Not the first rotation (Parker, Mills, Warner), but in spurts when Lyons and Neale are taking a breather, he'll go to town.

Side Note: No idea who submits the lineup. Papley will start on field, Parker in the guts, Heeney up forward, with McLean out of the goalsquare.

Pretty happy with the team..
Paps is back !!!
JPK showed enough last week that Horse couldn't leave him out
and this is where Reids versatility stacks up..
- we're down a forward so Reid can fill that hole, We're down a tall defender so Reid can play as the spare when required, He can also take the 'get out of jail mark' when we're exiting our defence

Im still keen to watch Gould play seniors, but reckon he'll get his chance soon enough

Not a fan of the team. What happens when Darcy fort goes lurking into 50? We have no height at all

Not a fan of the team. What happens when Darcy fort goes lurking into 50? We have no height at all
Sam Reid and Nick Blakey are as tall as Paddy (all 195cm). And they're taller than Tom Mc, Rampe, Melican, Gould, BOC, basically any alternatives.

Sam Reid and Nick Blakey are as tall as Paddy (all 195cm). And they're taller than Tom Mc, Rampe, Melican, Gould, BOC, basically any alternatives.
Lol nick blakey is a pushover the guy weighs like 70 kg, reid is named at full forward. Idk about it I reckon we lose this by 40 points

Lol nick blakey is a pushover the guy weighs like 70 kg, reid is named at full forward. Idk about it I reckon we lose this by 40 points
Right, so when you said height, you meant weight? It is pretty unfair that Reid is locked into FF, since that's where he's named on a Friday arvo though.

I think there's some longer term criticism that could be made about not having another option, but not sure what else they can do other than debut someone against the Lions (which to be fair I wanted, but more for Gould's debut, than it having a big impact on the outcome).

Right, so when you said height, you meant weight? It is pretty unfair that Reid is locked into FF, since that's where he's named on a Friday arvo though.

I think there's some longer term criticism that could be made about not having another option, but not sure what else they can do other than debut someone against the Lions (which to be fair I wanted, but more for Gould's debut, than it having a big impact on the outcome).
Reid has to play down back, otherwise it’ll be the same first quarter as last week only more brutal

haha.. happy days !!?
Reid has played as a spare in defence and played it well for years. He's also taller than Paddy
Blackey is 85kg.. not a beast, but no longer a stick figure either. He's also the most agile out of any player over 190 cm on both teams. He's good for an intercept mark and good for a spoil.
Swans by 3 goals

BloodRet
Reid has to play down back, simple, otherwise it’ll be the same first quarter as last week.
The back 6 is the same set up that we used all last season.. only Blackey replaces that guy that went to the Crows

Reid has to play down back, otherwise it’ll be the same first quarter as last week only more brutal
Maybe he will. Prefer he starts forward and we see if we need him though. It'll only be the same if we lose the midfield early, which given JPK is back in, hopefully isn't the case (if we bring in another tall, then he probably doesn't play). So there's trade offs everywhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not having a go at you specifically, but I think sometimes people can get hung up on the height of the opposition against our backline.

The make up of our defence this year is very similar to that of our last match v Brisbane and indeed their fwd set up is also very similar.
Blakey in the back 6 instead of Dawson and McStay and Fort replacing Hipwood and Fullarton.

In that game Brisbane took 5 inside 50 marks. We took 23.
Bailey 3, McCarthy 2 & Daniher 2 were their main goalscorers.

To date this year Fort has averaged 0.67 & McInerney 0.60 I50 marks per game.

Screenshot_2022-04-29 2022 Brisbane Marks Inside 50 Per Game Leaders.png

Their contested marks (in all parts of the ground);

Screenshot_2022-04-29 2022 Brisbane Contested Marks Per Game Leaders.png

Their goalscorers;
Screenshot_2022-04-29 2022 Brisbane Goals Per Game Leaders.png

Daniher has obviously been in fine form and poses a real danger, but otherwise it's their smalls that have been hitting the scoreboard.

Ideally I'd like to have Paddy in the team, but I see no point in playing a tall back (whether it's Reid, Melican or Gould) if they are not up to the task anyway.
Reid has previously shown a ability to float back as an interceptor/spare if necessary.

Ball movement, speed and spread is what beat Brisbane the last time.
Hopefully the same recipe can work again.

PS Mods If our defence gets murdered in the air and the Brisbane talls kill us on the scoreboard, please delete this post.

Probably Sinclair up forward reid down back. We’re short on both ends. If Reid is down back I’ll have no issues, probably still needed another tall though with presumably McLean or Reid doing some ruck work
Would not surprise me if Reid plays in defence. Or he runs around the ground with the Brisbane resting ruck and is used more for our outlet kicks from defence.

Re. our Forward line
I am still not sure whether our best 22 needs 2 or 3 tall forwards. Logan has been good as the 3rd tall because he is mobile and is more of a running forward. And I expect we will use 3 tall forwards most of the season.

But if we make finals, I wonder if we would go 2 talls (Mclean, Franklin) 2 mediums (Heeney, Hayward) and 3 smalls (Papley, Ronke, Wicks) for the extra forward pressure. I guess they will evaluate how a shorter forward line works against Brisbane.

We lost the first quarter last week via the midfield battle.

Defence didn't have much to do with it as we weren't pressuring the ball carrier.

Would not surprise me if Reid plays in defence. Or he runs around the ground with the Brisbane resting ruck and is used more for our outlet kicks from defence.

Re. our Forward line
I am still not sure whether our best 22 needs 2 or 3 tall forwards. Logan has been good as the 3rd tall because he is mobile and is more of a running forward. And I expect we will use 3 tall forwards most of the season.

But if we make finals, I wonder if we would go 2 talls (Mclean, Franklin) 2 mediums (Heeney, Hayward) and 3 smalls (Papley, Ronke, Wicks) for the extra forward pressure. I guess they will evaluate how a shorter forward line works against Brisbane.
Think heeney will move onto the ball so long as papley is in the team. That spot has to go to Logan when fit, papley and ronke up forward will be great crumbers for us

Not having a go at you specifically, but I think sometimes people can get hung up on the height of the opposition against our backline.

The make up of our defence this year is very similar to that of our last match v Brisbane and indeed their fwd set up is also very similar.
Blakey in the back 6 instead of Dawson and McStay and Fort replacing Hipwood and Fullarton.

In that game Brisbane took 5 inside 50 marks. We took 23.
Bailey 3, McCarthy 2 & Daniher 2 were their main goalscorers.

To date this year Fort has averaged 0.67 & McInerney 0.60 I50 marks per game.

View attachment 1387002

Their contested marks (in all parts of the ground);

View attachment 1387004

Their goalscorers;
View attachment 1387008

Daniher has obviously been in fine form and poses a real danger, but otherwise it's their smalls that have been hitting the scoreboard.

Ideally I'd like to have Paddy in the team, but I see no point in playing a tall back (whether it's Reid, Melican or Gould) if they are not up to the task anyway.
Reid has previously shown a ability to float back as an interceptor/spare if necessary.

Ball movement, speed and spread is what beat Brisbane the last time.
Hopefully the same recipe can work again.

PS Mods If our defence gets murdered in the air and the Brisbane talls kill us on the scoreboard, please delete this post.
Yep. We were shorter, they were taller. Flogged them.

I may have tipped Brisbane though... but not because of this. I think the most likely outcome is our mids give away another start and we'll be in trouble.

JPK can only be oart of the B or C mids team. This means small bursts.

For the rest of the game Horse needs to find a spot aside from the bench where the damage is minimised. I still think a FP or HFF putting the handbrake on Rich is worth a shot.

The Brions have great smalls and mediums, each of whom would be likely to tear JPK a new one, so he is unlikely to play down back.

What would your changes have been?
The obvious question.
Getting two best 22 talls "knocked out" is going to hurt any team already missing their #1 ruck.
Forwards and mids will do OK. Defence is obviously the area of concern. Reckon Reid will spend a lot of time filling spaces and intercepting. If that works I reckon we'll be right in it. More worried about Rampe TBH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back