Autopsy Sydney Swans Vs Carlton Blues. What you learnt

Remove this Banner Ad

1. Naismith backed up with another fantastic game today. Hitouts going to advantage. Our ruck stocks have depth.

2. Hanners had a putrid game with his poor disposal efficiency keeping Carlton alive. Hanners had great foot skills at the start of the year however his inability to kick the ball to someone wearing a red and white jumper was glaringly obvious yesterday as well over the past few weeks. It was so poor yesterday that his team mates started ignoring him when free and open in the second half of the game so that he couldn't butcher it again.

3. Take the win and move on.

I assume Aliir is all good after that incredibly awkward moment in the last quarter where his leg collapsed awkwardly?

I assume Aliir is all good after that incredibly awkward moment in the last quarter where his leg collapsed awkwardly?

Yeh he came back on I'm pretty sure so no issues thankfully! He will be absolutely pumped to be playing in W.A this weekend no doubt.

Bit of a weird game, thought Horse might have mixed the game plan up by playing on through the corridor at all costs. So often we just handpassed it to a running player who got tackled immediately. Wasn't surprised that we played much better in the 3rd quarter, unfortunately couldn't kick away to a decent win.

Probably not giving enough credit to Carlton, they were enthusiastic in their pressuring and as a few have mentioned already, got some Hawthorn-esque umpiring. When was the last game where we won the free kick count? Oh wait, Swans are "undisciplined"

Mitchell not doing his contract talks any favours, won't be sad if he leaves for Carlton, will be pissed if it's to Hawthorn. Mills and Heeney into the mids is better in 2017.

1. I loved how Heens came out in the second half and rectified his putrid first half
2. JPK was carrying our mids until the Heens move.
3. Despite a terrible performance, we can be second after this round if Port can beat GWS this afternoon for us

I'm disappointed that we didn't play better today but we also need to realise that we have been significantly impacted by injuries. Any team is going to struggle without players such as; AJ, Tippett, Talia, Reid, McVeigh, Laider, Jones, Marsh, etc. Compare that to he Whorks for example who only have a couple missing from their senior team.
Yep, very inexperienced side, a good win considered!

1) Lloyd is our side's David Mackay. A player who runs a lot, tries his hardest to play inside but is too lightly built to impact the contest, and who is too slow and not a penetrating enough kick to be useful on the outside. He offers nothing. 28 disposals of SFA today.

Not sure why this gets forgotten after he has an above average game from time to time. He's just keeping the spot warm until some of our better kids come through. He will lose his spot next year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

- Felt like every-time Sinclair went into the ruck we got beaten around the ball easily and lost any momentum (on the fleeting moments we had some), was a belting in terms of ruck work. Probably lucky Nankervis is the back-up, who's pace around the ground is probably just as much of a liability on a dry day as Sinclairs noncompetitive rucking. We stabilised more when Naismith was there and were at least competitive in the hit out department, it's becoming a no brainier who should be the ruck partner, if all are fit, when (and if) Tippett gets back.

- On a good note we've hit that magical 12 wins, which usually means finals are guaranteed. So should the very worst happen we should at least be going to another finals campaign which will be good for the younger players and a chance for a few others to try and make amends for some of their September performances last year.

- Again I really hope we're not targeting/throwing big coin at a Hurley/McDonald....Looking at the players who should be on the 2017 list....between Grundy, Rampe, Laidler, Talia, Allir, Marsh, Davis maybe AJ in season 2018 and beyond... you should be able to field a solid KD group (CHB/FB and a 3rd tall), even if it is slightly undersized you'd back it to get the job done most weeks, probably adding one of those players you won't see a huge difference to what we're getting out of our defence is doing now, in terms of score against at least.
All getting another KD does is just add on an area that's ok, got a few options to pick from....while adding a running mid with decent skills brings something we don't have much of at all and brings a whole new dimension, in an area we have nearly no options to pick from...should clearly be the priority. Yesterday should've reinforced this to the recruiting dpt.
It's clear Mitchell is going (would be happy with him staying as he will be a very good player), the only way to cash in on his departure correctly is to replace him with the player we need now and going forward, not the player we needed 12 months ago.

we played as bad as we've played all year, lost 3 quarters and played about 10 minutes of decent football.

And we still got the 4 points. Thats the positive we can take from today

1. Without Josh Kennedy we're no chance - a more lion-hearted performance you will not see
2. Very fortunate to win, and equally fortunate to be 2nd on the ladder, 3rd if the Giants win today
3. Not a top 4 team on that form, but to be fair, we played a lot of kids
4. Liked Xavier Richards up forward and Isaac Heeney in the middle

So do we think X. Richards could be a long term option up forward? I think he could he a handy third tall once Tippett gets back. I'm not sure how he'll go until then as the second option. I was shocked at how slight he still was - how do you spend that much time in the system without putting on any bulk? Especially when he was being primed for a KPD spot, where upper body strength is a necessity?

Either way, I like a forward line of:

Rohan Franklin Hewett
Papley Tippett Richards

It looks great on paper, but I feel like a lot of our forward lines have looked good on paper over the last few years but not so great in practice.

I know Tippett was fantastic as our number one ruck but Naismith has honestly played a billion times better than I thought he would over the last three weeks. His ruck work has been great, averaging 28 hit outs a game (basically what Tippett was doing). And he's starting to contribute around the ground as well. If he could rotate into the forward line a somehow clunk a goal a game he'll become a legit top 10 ruckman.

Last edited:
I get not getting carried away with a win
But honestly some people just like being miserable
We won
We are second
We didnt get there by accident, its not round one

So do we think X. Richards could be a long term option up forward? I think he could he a handy third tall once Tippett gets back. I'm not sure how he'll go until then as the second option. I was shocked at how slight he still was - how do you spend that much time in the system without putting on any bulk? Especially when he was being primed for a KPD spot, where upper body strength is a necessity?

Either way, I like a forward line of:

Rohan Franklin Hewett
Papley Tippett Richards

It looks great on paper, but I feel like a lot of our forward lines have looked good on paper over the last few years but not so great in practice.

I know Tippett was fantastic as our number one ruck but Naismith has honestly played a billion times better than I thought he would over the last three weeks. His ruck work has been great, averaging 28 hit outs a game (basically what Tippett was doing). And he's starting to contribute around the ground as well. If he could rotate into the forward line a somehow clunk a goal a game he'll become a legit top 10 ruckman.

He could be a good lead up half forward or even tall wingman IMHO. With his pace and athleticism he doesn't need to be a KPF. Won't be taking too many contested marks with that slight frame of his. Could also be a good outlet from kick ins. Shame he steadied a little too much before he got run down. Otherwise could have been a brilliant goal.

Yeah, no idea what happened with that play. I think he was yelling at someone afterwards, either for not talking or not leading at him.

And I'm pretty sure Buddy was the only one there. So he's got guts. Was probably still angry from dishing it off to Buddy and him missing.

We have no strong contested marks in the side atm. No bail out option. our only choice is to kick long to heeney or parker which causes a little grief, i suspect thats why we handpass alot and get our selves into strife at times.

Sinclair needs to start clunking some or get reid in the side...im not sure what will happen first

Yeah, no idea what happened with that play. I think he was yelling at someone afterwards, either for not talking or not leading at him.

And I'm pretty sure Buddy was the only one there. So he's got guts. Was probably still angry from dishing it off to Buddy and him missing.

Yep, that whole play was bizarre from Buddy. He didn't lead, yet he was too close to goal to get one over the top. I think he thought Richards was going to go for goal, but after a long run like that it's a low percentage play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back