Autopsy Sydney Swans Vs Carlton Blues. What you learnt

Remove this Banner Ad

I just got the chance to watch the replay.

I didn't think we were as shithouse as this board has been making out, but I can imagine how stressful and frustrating it would have been live. We had a lot more shots and on a different day it would have been over at 3/4 time. Mills was really suburb in the last quarter, he is coming along really nicely. Heeney's form is still a worry, though he did get a lot more of it once moved to the midfield I don't think he was as good with it as we can expect from him. I love his tackling though, he is gonna be a really physical weapon once he has another few seasons in him. His form problems imo come from him kind of being accustomed to being the best player in every game he has played growing up. Once he first got to afl he did really well but now that he is used to being there he is used to just turning up and doing great, not imposing himself on every contest. His form problems started after the Adelaide game imo, so I reckon he arrived and then felt like it would be easy. I think Horse is probably doing a decent job with him though. I hope we can see his best in the forward line again, he is a real weapon when there. I loved X Richards game, he led up hard at the ball all game, and I think it really helped Buddy play his best game for a little while. Kennedy obviously was superb and I thought Parker was really great too. Rohan was immense, his defensive effort is amazing, and lifts the team. He has a huge kick on him as well, I still feel like he is *just* about to really turn it on, which is how I have always felt about him, but he is becoming really critical to us.

I'm also surprised at people criticising Loyds game, he did well to be where he needed to be to get a rushed clearing kick for a lot of his possesions, but when he had time and space he didn't make many mistakes. I'd love to see him stick his tackles better, a couple of players went through him and it cost us a few of their shots on goal.

Hannebury had his worst game in years, and really should do some work on his skills. In fact the whole team needs to really work on it. We are starting to look fatigued, so maybe do no fitness and just skills this week. Mitchell and Hannebury wont (read better not) have such poor games again this season, and if they do surely it wont be at the same time. I'm so grateful we have Kennedy, he is so important to us when our midfield is getting beaten.

Last edited:
Oh I forgot to mention how bloody awesome Aliir is! What a gun player, gonna be such an important player for us for years to come, we can build a defence around him and Rampe. Looking forward to Jones Laidler and Marsh being back, that defence feels more solid with those guys.

Foote looked good, absolutely ready to be part of the midfield interchange rotations, though I'm not sure he's best 22, I still Have Robinson ahead of him for that role though he will probably get enough games given how many injuries all teams cop.

No, I appreciate he runs himself into the ground. i just think there's comparatively little to show for it, especially yesterday.
He got us a lot of metres, a lot of his ineffective disposals was arriving to a contest to be a clearing outlet by foot. Is that the best tactic? Imo no, but its clearly an instruction in certain contexts, other than that I thought he was mostly pretty clean by hand and foot.

Coaches votes

10 Josh Kennedy (Syd)
6 Patrick Cripps (Carl)
5 Bryce Gibbs (Carl)
4 Lance Franklin (Syd)
2 Jake Lloyd (Syd)
2 Luke Parker (Syd)
1 Kade Simpson (Carl)

Breakdown:
  • Kennedy 5-5
  • Cripps 3-3
  • Gibbs 1-4
  • Franklin 4-0
  • Lloyd 2-0
  • Parker 0-2
  • Simpson 1-0

On numerous occasions Hawthorn and Carlton appeared to conceed winning the initial contested ball and targeted the receiver (not the extractor), winning a free or forcing a turnover. They then transitioned forward quite easily.

Is this why Clarkson says he doesn't give a #$@! about contested ball stats against the Swans as there is a strategy to enable their strength (winning contested ball) be exploited as a weakness?

Thoughts?

I posted the following recently on another thread on the main board. I want to post it on the Swans board to get your reaction. It relates very much to what Skaeparovic and others noticed in our games against Hawthorn and the Blues. I might be on the wrong track according to many but i firmly believe the game is too biased towards the tackler these days.

Is AFL the only sport that......................................discourages players to get the ball first?

At the moment it doesn't. The pendulum has swung towards the tackler far too much I believe. And that is a %#**%@ joke, ladies and gentlemen.

Seriously, these days the dwellers hang back and wait for a player to pick the ball up. They know that if they can pin an arm (especially the arm not grasping the ball) and somehow make the ball come out then it's a free for "incorrect disposal" even though they have had NO prior opportunity.

To give the player brave enough to get to the ball and pick it up first (even though he knows he has an opponent on his clacker) EVERY opportunity to get rid of the ball, I suggest the following:

1. Players who tackle to restrain ONE ARM should be pinged for illegal tackle.

2. A player who picks the ball up without prior opportunity and is restrained correctly - ball up or play on if the ball is somehow knocked out of his arms. (NOT a free kick against FFS!!)

3. A player who moves off with the ball ( 2 steps?) or takes someone on should be pinged for HTB or incorrect disposal (providing the ONE ARM restraint) is not used. In that case- free kick against tackler for illegal tackle.

We ALL want to see a good tough game of contested footy but we need to reward the player FIRST to the ball. It is really obvious that this is not happening this year especially. Believe me, we will be watching a game more like soccer if this bias towards the tackler continues. Players won't pick the ball up in a pack. They will kick it off the ground or paddle it out.

And while I'm at it:

Get rid of the 50m penalty for minor technical infringements that don't interefere with the play or shorten it to say 20 metres so that it doesn't have a major affect upon the game.

By all means let me know if you think i am delusional.

Last edited:
I agree with your observations but not necessarily you solutions.

The AFL has lost sight of what the objectives of the game are, and the rules and their interpretation need to be based on these objectives or you can hardly call Aussie Rules a "CODE".
The idea of the around the neck rule was to avoid dangerous tackles. Should therefore only be paid if dangerous.

The idea of the holding the ball rule was to keep the ball moving, not encourage scraggers to sit on their opponents shoulders without winning the ball themselves with the intent of getting a free kick.

The push in the back rule was to avoid unfair and dangerous shoves from behind.Not to penalise barely touching someone in the back with the hands to hold your position and cause a free kick ( I call this the "stop Magic O'Loughlin rule because the interpretation was brought in to stop him being unbeatable one on one)whilst allowing dangerous whole of body shoves from behind going unpunished.

The latest diversion from the intent of the game is the holding the man off the ball. If the holding the man rule was actually applied this practice would soon stop.

The arbitrary application of 50m penalties for minor infractions that have no bearing on the outcome of the game are also now a blight.

Could go on but its like bashing your head against a brick wall.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

That was so painful to watch.

Horse is just an average coach.

I don't even after that performance. How are we third on the table.

I can't find enough cash to put on a Hawks Premiership as sad as that sounds.

This team survives off the endeavours of so few it is scary.

Well we won I guess. Go us.

we had a poor game, won, and are 3rd on the table.

I seem to remember Hawks having a few poor games, winning, and now 1st on the table

finals is where it will count and our best is able to beat anyone

Last edited:

2 ex Hawthorn players kinda ironic, Franklin is worth every penny and deserves whatever he is on this year we might not win a flag with him but we wont be close without him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coaches votes

10 Josh Kennedy (Syd)
6 Patrick Cripps (Carl)
5 Bryce Gibbs (Carl)
4 Lance Franklin (Syd)
2 Jake Lloyd (Syd)
2 Luke Parker (Syd)
1 Kade Simpson (Carl)

Breakdown:
  • Kennedy 5-5
  • Cripps 3-3
  • Gibbs 1-4
  • Franklin 4-0
  • Lloyd 2-0
  • Parker 0-2
  • Simpson 1-0
So the coaches ranked Lloyd with Parker and was in their hopeless opinion the fifth best player on the ground.

I agree it was an awfully painful game but it is somewhat understandable with a team as inexperienced as that.

Coming into the game we had:

Only 5 players over 120 games, 9 under 30 games, 13 under 65 games

That's a lot of youth. A hell of a lot of healthy prostates, if you will.

Im not sure why some were actually critical of buddy

I accept saturday was a bit of a cluster *, but i think the comp lacks skill all around

If you restarted the league you would have no more than 14 teams in my opinion
Imagine how skilled the sides would be if at least 170ish or whatever players went back into a pool and you get cut them and rejig the remaining teams. Talent spread too thin, guys who cant kick playing league footy

I'm glad I was vindicated in my defence of Lloyd by at least one of the coaches.
Just watched the replay. He kicked on both sides of his body, was very clean with his hands,ran straight and released the ball quickly. Quite a change to what has been served up for most this year by McVeigh. If they take him out defence for McVeigh it will be a travesty.

Although nerve racking there is no way the swans played poor on the weekend. Sit back and look at the playing list on paper. If u viewed that at the start of the year u would of thought the season was lost and we were just playing the kids. Good win! Keeps us in the hunt until injured experience returns

I posted the following recently on another thread on the main board. I want to post it on the Swans board to get your reaction. It relates very much to what Skaeparovic and others noticed in our games against Hawthorn and the Blues. I might be on the wrong track according to many but i firmly believe the game is too biased towards the tackler these days.

Is AFL the only sport that......................................discourages players to get the ball first?

At the moment it doesn't. The pendulum has swung towards the tackler far too much I believe. And that is a %#**%@ joke, ladies and gentlemen.

Seriously, these days the dwellers hang back and wait for a player to pick the ball up. They know that if they can pin an arm (especially the arm not grasping the ball) and somehow make the ball come out then it's a free for "incorrect disposal" even though they have had NO prior opportunity.

To give the player brave enough to get to the ball and pick it up first (even though he knows he has an opponent on his clacker) EVERY opportunity to get rid of the ball, I suggest the following:

1. Players who tackle to restrain ONE ARM should be pinged for illegal tackle.

2. A player who picks the ball up without prior opportunity and is restrained correctly - ball up or play on if the ball is somehow knocked out of his arms. (NOT a free kick against FFS!!)

3. A player who moves off with the ball ( 2 steps?) or takes someone on should be pinged for HTB or incorrect disposal (providing the ONE ARM restraint) is not used. In that case- free kick against tackler for illegal tackle.

We ALL want to see a good tough game of contested footy but we need to reward the player FIRST to the ball. It is really obvious that this is not happening this year especially. Believe me, we will be watching a game more like soccer if this bias towards the tackler continues. Players won't pick the ball up in a pack. They will kick it off the ground or paddle it out.

And while I'm at it:

Get rid of the 50m penalty for minor technical infringements that don't interefere with the play or shorten it to say 20 metres so that it doesn't have a major affect upon the game.

By all means let me know if you think i am delusional.

I agree that something needs to be done however I don't think making a one armed tackle illegal is the best option in resolving the issue.

Perhaps teams will structure up differently so that only one player hunts the ball whilst others remain clear of the contest. This could potentially free up the congestion if there are only 2 players scragging for the ball instead of 4-5 at any given time.

Perhaps having less players around the ball would mean the defence would have more options to kick to up the ground should they win the contested ball.

2 ex Hawthorn players kinda ironic, Franklin is worth every penny and deserves whatever he is on this year we might not win a flag with him but we wont be close without him.

cannot agree more mate

I agree it was an awfully painful game but it is somewhat understandable with a team as inexperienced as that.

i don't disagree with the youth side of things. It is more how some of the experienced guys go about it in patches and the overall difficulty we have had for years in delivering the ball into our forward half let alone the 50.

I don't want to be too negative, although I am giving a good impression of it, it is more frustrating and exasperating than anything.

How Heeney is supposed to learn to play half forward is beyond me and no wonder he doesn;t get a touch there. It is either kicked over his head to the the 3 on 1 on Buddy or he is missed by 10 yards. ARGGGHHH

Anyway new week and new game.

Prostate efficiency. There's a stat Kingy can get right behind. :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back