Game Day Sydney Swans vs Collingwood @ Blacktown Oval 1:pm AEST (Practice Match)

Remove this Banner Ad

Just finished watching, even though I already knew the scores from checking out social media (I suspect this is going to be standard for me with the women's team unfortunately as long as the men's season is on).

Pretty good first outing I'd say! We definitely looked worse with each quarter, which isn't surprising at all considering how green a lot of our team is. But very promising signs that they showed such intensity and an aptitude for the tempo of the game early on. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it wasn't that! They hit the ground running. Good to see.

"When Collingwood got momentum in that second half, we were struggling to stop it and that's something we will be working on next week - what do we do, what are the mechanisms we can use just around things like communication, on-field leadership as far as the collective group, players being able to get their teammates up and going, those types of things.

Gowans said he was pleased to see positive signs from the things the team had been working on, particularly their pressure around the contest.

"The big thing is, that's what we have worked on (pressure), ball movement and team offence," Gowans said.

I made it to the match late... and missed the whole first half. :( I hope they post the replay so I get a chance to watch our best bit.

I was pleasantly surprised to see the score was 4.1 to 2.5 in our favour when I arrived. Unfortunately I think we only got one more behind for the rest of the match and the Pies went on to win comfortably.

A big improvement on last week was that all the players were wearing the right jumper numbers and that was enormously helpful in figuring out who was who.

Cynthia Hamilton caught the eye again. Lochland and Szigeti were playing a fair bit on ball. I saw Bella Smith doing some back-up rucking.

By the time I got there, there were a raft of players on the pine either because they appeared to have sustained injuries in the game (e.g. Mon Ham - although I can't confirm that but it looked like she was suited up and had been playing and she had some ice strapped to her lower leg) or because they were rehabbing injuries sustained before today e.g. Eliza Vale. There were a disturbing number of players in this category.

I didn't notice any AFLM players or coaching staff in attendance but I imagine they will turn out in solidarity for the first proper match in a couple of weeks. Looks like that match is going to be a sell-out.

Tom Harley was there today with his two boys again, as well as all the AFLW coaching staff etc (of course).

One of the things I like about supporting the AFLW team is the opportunity to connect a bit more with the players and the team, given the small, more intimate feel. Almost everyone in the crowd seems to be connected to the team so any casual conversations struck up help me feel closer to the team too. Some of the players are very approachable and others not so much. I guess some of them appreciate having fans (maybe for the first time) and others (especially the younger ones if I had to generalise) perhaps find it weird or even creepy to be called by name by a stranger. Still overall I have found them quite open and welcoming, despite the exceptions.

Overall I was a little dismayed by the skill levels on display. Lots of dropped marks, fumbles, kicks to nobody in particular etc. But you've gotta start somewhere!

Collingwood by comparison looked a little bit more professional. They got into more good positions, out in space, which then enabled them to take marks uncontested and also contested. Their #2 (Chloe Molloy?) was a level above most of the players out there. However our ruck, Ally Morphett, did well against theirs (Fredericks?). I think Morphett is a ripper and we are lucky to have her. Awesome to read she snapped a goal in the first quarter to boot: Swans overrun in practice match.

Anyway, onwards. Looking forward to the historic season opener now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back