Preview Sydney Swans vs Collingwood, Round 9, Saturday 15 May @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am hoping to see:

Hewett in for Hayward.
Campbell in for Gulden.
Stephens in for Sinclair.

Let McLean help Hickey by pinch-hitting in the ruck when he's not deep forward; Stephens comes in to give us a bit more run, and I'd have Campbell playing forward of the ball too. Collingwood are very susceptible to teams that are quick and run hard so we should try and exploit that.

I am hoping to see:

Hewett in for Hayward.
Campbell in for Gulden.
Stephens in for Sinclair.

Let McLean help Hickey by pinch-hitting in the ruck when he's not deep forward; Stephens comes in to give us a bit more run, and I'd have Campbell playing forward of the ball too. Collingwood are very susceptible to teams that are quick and run hard so we should try and exploit that.
I don't see Hewett as top 22.
I don't think the swans do either.
His ability to kick goals (He has none) counts against him.

I don't see Hewett as top 22.
I don't think the swans do either.
His ability to kick goals (He has none) counts against him.

Why would he have goals when he's played in defence all year?

He's a significant improvement on Hayward.

Over his career.
Besides 2016.
We need players that can score. Hence Hayward.

Hewett would do more to help us score than Hayward. He's a far better user of the ball. Not sure how many more forward opportunities we can waste with the ball in Hayward's hands. He is good for near half a dozen inexplicable ****-ups in the front half every game.

It's also convenient to say "besides 2016"... well that was the only year he ever played on a forward flank, and he kicked 18 goals. So I'd say that's relevant.

Hewett would do more to help us score than Hayward. He's a far better user of the ball. Not sure how many more forward opportunities we can waste with the ball in Hayward's hands. He is good for near half a dozen inexplicable ****-ups in the front half every game.

It's also convenient to say "besides 2016"... well that was the only year he ever played on a forward flank, and he kicked 18 goals. So I'd say that's relevant.
Sorry I don't see it.
I reckon Hewett is around 7th in line in the mids now.
Thats why he was chucked into defence. That didn't really work either.
He's not best 22 IMO.

Sorry I don't see it.
He's not best 22 IMO.

Might have to agree to disagree. I think he's best 6/7.

I’m not so sure.
In his presser, Horse seemed to indicate that the 3 (slow) talls did not work.

Buddy won’t be dropped unless injured or managed.
McDonald very likely to come back in (simply because youth is the one element that has consistently worked this year) but won’t be rucking.

Which leaves Sinclair and McLean.
I wouldn’t be surprised if he keeps McLean and has him rucking.
I get that Sinkers is getting on, but going with Mclean in the ruck instead is just too experimental imo. We've looked unstructured and exposed every time we've chopped and changed. For me Sinkers is the next best replacement for Reid, albeit not as impactful. Mclean should stay in the role he's been so useful for us in so far. It's between him and Logan for who takes that spot and I think Mclean has it over him for the time being. Sam Reid straight swap for Sinkers when fit and that allows for a seamless transition of ins and outs.

Don't forget Heeney comes straight back in too, so I doubt anyone would be squeezed out for Logan. I think Horse would replace Mclean with Heeney before looking at Sinkers if anything.

I get that Sinkers is getting on, but going with Mclean in the ruck instead is just too experimental imo. We've looked unstructured and exposed every time we've chopped and changed. For me Sinkers is the next best replacement for Reid, albeit not as impactful. Mclean should stay in the role he's been so useful for us in so far. It's between him and Logan for who takes that spot and I think Mclean has it over him for the time being. Sam Reid straight swap for Sinkers when fit and that allows for a seamless transition of ins and outs.

Don't forget Heeney comes straight back in too, so I doubt anyone would be squeezed out for Logan. I think Horse would replace Mclean with Heeney before looking at Sinkers if anything.
As much as I get the idea of Sinkers. He was legit putrid at times on the weekend.
Besides his goal.

Haywards been outstanding since his inclusion. He might waste an opportunity or two but he puts through a lot more than he misses.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As much as I get the idea of Sinkers. He was legit putrid at times on the weekend.
Besides his goal.
The wet deck didn't help. He's definitely declining, but i think taking sinkers out and throwing Mclean into the ruck without Sam Reid coming back in is too risky. That's going from 3 tall targets down to 1 at times. Will be interesting how Horse goes about it none the less.

Sorry I don't see it.
He's not best 22 IMO.
He was rated internally as our best mid in 2019 before injuries last year. B&Fs not the best indicator granted. I think people just forget how good he was as a mid that year, not just someone used as a tagger. He'd be 2nd/3rd in line in terms of who I'd be giving mid time to (when fit) behind the constants of JPK and LP (and we need to wean off our reliance on the former). Mills and Rowbottom ahead of him right now, but I think he can compete with them.

He'd probably be in my top 10 or so picked, let alone 22.

Better than JPK, Parker, Florent, Rowbottom, Mills, Warner?

If they wanted to play him as a back...I guess he could take CORs spot?
maybe.

I'm aware I'm in the minority but I have made no secret about the fact I rate Hewett very highly as an inside mid. He is exactly the sort of no-fuss guy who will do the basics very well at the coalface that we need. That we lament our lack of composure, but then dismiss one of our more composed players because he's simply boring to watch is kinda weird IMO.

In any case though I am making the argument that he could play at HF where he could be the distributor that Hayward wishes he could be, and Gulden has the potential to be but is not getting enough of the ball to currently be.

I'm aware I'm in the minority but I have made no secret about the fact I rate Hewett very highly as an inside mid. He is exactly the sort of no-fuss guy who will do the basics very well at the coalface that we need. That we lament our lack of composure, but then dismiss one of our more composed players because he's simply boring to watch is kinda weird IMO.

In any case though I am making the argument that he could play at HF where he could be the distributor that Hayward wishes he could be, and Gulden has the potential to be but is not getting enough of the ball to currently be.
Except when we're playing the exciting rebounding footy which is what has brought us success so far, he's got no where near the leg speed, nor marking ability, nor eye for goal, to be anywhere near as influential as Hayward in those instances.

Stick Hewett back at half back rotating with the mids for all I care but to say he'll do a better job than Hayward at HF is a pisstake.

Except when we're playing the exciting rebounding footy which is what has brought us success so far, he's got no where near the leg speed, nor marking ability, nor eye for goal, to be anywhere near as influential as Hayward in those instances.

Stick Hewett back at half back rotating with the mids for all I care but to say he'll do a better job than Hayward at HF is a pisstake.

Leg speed, marking ability or eye for goal has nothing to do with the fact that we have very few players making smart decisions forward of the ball at the minute. Hayward is absolutely one of the worst culprits for this. Hewett is the opposite. He is one of our best kicks inside 50 and would be far better defensively and pressure-wise than Hayward with his bar of soap tackling attempts.

Leg speed, marking ability or eye for goal has nothing to do with the fact that we have very few players making smart decisions forward of the ball at the minute. Hayward is absolutely one of the worst culprits for this. Hewett is the opposite. He is one of our best kicks inside 50 and would be far better defensively and pressure-wise than Hayward with his bar of soap tackling attempts.
There was a solid 2 handfuls of players well ahead of Hayward when it came to stuffing up forward opportunities on Saturday. He had 1 howler so be it. If you want to revert back to playing 'honest', 'grinds away', 'nothing special but uses the ball well', 'barely does anything wrong', type players forward of centre then prepare yourself for 2018 spec football. It's been plain obvious in the last 3 years that you need chance taking, quick, flary, dynamic forwards to be successful in todays game. We've finally got that group of players, you need to back them. If I see Hewett forward of centre replacing Hayward I would be filthy, that's 10 steps back.

Hayward's been through a lot, so not a slight, but I'd also argue his leg speed isn't an asset at the moment. I'm not sure as a pure mid sized marking forward that Hewett would be on top, but they've got identical I50 averages over their career and Hewett is a better ball user, so I know who I'd want to have it about 50-70m out.

In any case, Hewett should be in mid rotations and along with the likes of Parker, Rowbottom, Warner, Florent and Mills even, all capable resting up fwd, kicking a few.

There was a solid 2 handfuls of players well ahead of Hayward when it came to stuffing up forward opportunities on Saturday. He had 1 howler so be it. If you want to revert back to playing 'honest', 'grinds away', 'nothing special but uses the ball well', 'barely does anything wrong', type players forward of centre then prepare yourself for 2018 spec football. It's been plain obvious in the last 3 years that you need chance taking, quick, flary, dynamic forwards to be successful in todays game. We've finally got that group of players, you need to back them. If I see Hewett forward of centre replacing Hayward I would be filthy, that's 10 steps back.

Hayward isn't a chance taking, quick, flary, dynamic forward. He's a physical non-factor who does stupid things with the ball and fumbles his lines.

But he's soooo talented I guess.

Hayward's been through a lot, so not a slight, but I'd also argue his leg speed isn't an asset at the moment. I'm not sure as a pure mid sized marking forward that Hewett would be on top, but they've got identical I50 averages over their career and Hewett is a better ball user, so I know who I'd want to have it about 50-70m out.

In any case, Hewett should be in mid rotations and along with the likes of Parker, Rowbottom, Warner, Florent and Mills even, all capable resting up fwd, kicking a few.
He's deffs more agile than Hewett. Hewett may make the most of opportunities but Hayward is going to find a lot more of it with our style of footy, let alone possessing the ability to score. It comes down to the type of footy you want to play. We've moved on from 2018.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back