Preview Sydney Swans vs Essendon Bombers, Saturday, 7:40pm @ Gabba - Round 20

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not in my book. Unless for injury.
Whose places would they take?
Is Campbell better than Blakey, Dawson or McInerney?
Is Stephens better than Florent, Dawson, Gulden or Heeney?
Is Ling better than Cunningham, Fox, Blakey or Lloyd?
A high draft pick is an indicator of perceived potential at age 18.
Thereafter it's all about performance.
Dyson plays off half back nowadays.
Parish got tagged out of the game by Ash.. who then went forward and kicked a decent goal.
Merrtt is a good player, no doubt. Parker could go with him.
Their biggest threat is Draper to stringer. Stringer leads the comp for centre bounce clearances to goal...

They don't run though... i'm not sure if its the young bodies or what.. but essendon just don't run like they were...

Their lack of two way run has to do with the way they run forward. They all get caught out if there is a turnover. you can really hurt them. The other thing is Rutten does not tag. So expect Mills, Kennedy and Parker to get plenty. If George goes to either Parish or Stringer they could be in trouble. But ...i think Mills or Kennedy will get Stringer. George to Parish.

Ronke and Rowbottom should be first out IMO, and Bell really being fortunate that there's worse performers than him in the team as he'd be the next out but don't think we need to be making three changes.

Mills and Cunningham back in for Ronke and Rowbottom IMO.

If Buddy is out then I'd say McDonald in.
I disagree that Rowy (despite much lower TOG) was worse than Bell. Maybe we just all look out for and take notice of Bell since he's one of the most debated figures on here. Personally, I loved one of his desperate tackles and a few of his disposals were class (key word, 'few').

But, despite the TOG difference (59% to 78%), Rowy still managed 5 to 2 tackles, 3 to 1 tackles in F50, 17 to 12 pressure acts, higher metres gained, and a goal (all keys when looking at Bell's main role). Bell may have created space, be able to run faster (and longer at this point), but to say he was better than Rowy is a stretch. I also watched the game, it's not just stats, but they help back up my point.

Personally, I'd be ok with all of Ronke, Bell and Rowy going out for Mills, Cunningham and COR. I think you'll get more out of these guys off quarantine and with some other switches (like Dawson not being back at all, Fox being Mr Intercept and running), a net benefit to the team. If not COR, then McDonald or Amartey in (if Buddy out, bring both in).

Last edited:
Not sure why anyone is wondering what's going on with Rowbottom. I mean he missed a month or so after hyper-extending his knee in round 1 and has obviously been limited since coming back. He's been on limited TOG since (the 150% TOG last weekend vs GWS aside after backing up from a full reserves hitout). You can certainly say he's limited vs last year and say he should just be rested, but I'd say it's fairly obvious what his main issue is.

Not sure why anyone is wondering what's going on with Rowbottom. I mean he missed a month or so after hyper-extending his knee in round 1 and has obviously been limited since coming back. He's been on limited TOG since (the 150% TOG last weekend vs GWS aside after backing up from a full reserves hitout). You can certainly say he's limited vs last year and say he should just be rested, but I'd say it's fairly obvious what his main issue is.

If he is still injured though why is he playing and not resting?

If he is still injured though why is he playing and not resting?
That is a fair question and one others on this board have asked. His limited minutes make it clear that he's not fully fit. I was responding to people wondering why he's not his old self. One view is that even Rowy at 60-70% gametime offers more than some others who might come in, or are even currently playing (e.g. Ronke, Bell) and that's why he's still in. Personally, though I think he was as good/better than those two vs Freo, I'd be resting Rowy once Mills, Cunningham, COR are available (this week), plus the likes of Warner, Campbell are fit/available (1-2 weeks).

Last edited:
Longmire about to get a very angry call from AFL house filled with screaming and swearing. How dare we not do exactly what the AFL wants us to do.
Funny because its probably true!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Needs to spend a solid week tackling. Was falling off them like flies.
imo, solid month resting, don't know how he is getting games with such low game time. Prefer a bloke like Clarke be brought in who can run out a game.

AFL screwed by there own inability to punish players earlier in the year.

Well, not the organisation, but Christensen being inconsistent, yes.

yep.

swans ask for permission to use 3 examples

tribunal allows it

tribunal then tells jury they should not act as precedence in factoring in their decision

sure.

What do you mean? Tribunal has always allowed for precedent to factor into the decision. What's the source?

What do you mean? Tribunal has always allowed for precedent to factor into the decision. What's the source?
From https://www.afl.com.au/news/654824/tribunal-live-swans-using-three-examples-in-bid-to-free-bud

AFL ARGUMENT
AFL counsel Jeff Gleeson is arguing the Swans should be restricted to the examples contained in the 2021 Tribunal Guidelines and not be allowed to draw on precedents from outside that set.

and

PRECEDENTS DON'T BIND YOU
Tribunal chair Murray Kellam is summarising for the jury now and insists the examples put forward by Franklin's defence do not need to guide their decision.

This is a decision for them to make, and they can do that in isolation of the examples.

The only decision they need to make is whether the impact is low or medium impact, given Franklin has pleaded guilty to the careless and high contact gradings.

Best thing that could happen for Buddy. Despite the commentators hyping up when he's "angry", he is always at his most dangerous when he is cool as a cucumber and just focused on his job. It's like a fired up Serena Williams was a scary prospect; a dead calm Serena Williams was unbeatable.

Buddy now knows he needs to rein it in and remember what he's out there for. Thankfully he gets to learn that lesson on the field against the Bombers rather than watching from the sidelines!

Those didn't get sent to the tribunal. AFL argued they should only be allowed to draw on examples in the 2021 Tribunal Guidelines and not allowed to draw on precedent outside of that. Swans argued against. And got granted permission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back