Preview Sydney Swans vs Essendon Bombers, Saturday, 7:40pm @ Gabba - Round 20

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part of me wishes that Ronke would have been given 3-4 games to settle in the side but understandable why hes dropped. Maybe if he kicked 2-3 when we were well on top in the 3rd quarter last week, who knows. Time is up for him I think, which is a bit sad as I will look at that 7 goal game fondly.

Sensible changes.

Can't imagine Rowbottom has declined so much without injury being at least part of the cause. I wonder if having not been rested he is battling through an injury that requires surgery and an end to the season to fix so they are trying to keep his fitness up incase of injuries.
My thought exactly. Wonder if that hyperextension stretched the ligaments and requires surgical tightening and reattachment. Something like that. He just hasn't quite got the zip. Hope he'll be OK.

Why play him then
Should have sent him in for surgery immediately if he needed it.
Could be like Hickey's PCL injury aka still capable of playing and playing a role but not enough to pull him out for immediate surgery. If we lose a mid to injury for finals Rowbottom is still capable of playing a role for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could be like Hickey's PCL injury aka still capable of playing and playing a role but not enough to pull him out for immediate surgery. If we lose a mid to injury for finals Rowbottom is still capable of playing a role for us.
He is a 20 year kid

You don’t * around with long term damage

He is a 20 year kid

You don’t fu** around with long term damage
But none of us know Punts, that's my point. We're all just guessing and until the club choose to tell us otherwise unfortunately that's all we've got.

Part of me wishes that Ronke would have been given 3-4 games to settle in the side but understandable why hes dropped. Maybe if he kicked 2-3 when we were well on top in the 3rd quarter last week, who knows. Time is up for him I think, which is a bit sad as I will look at that 7 goal game fondly.

Its not even the goals its the fact he layed 0 tackles.

Rowbottom's been averaging 65% TOG this year. Very few 18 year old first-year draftees are managed that heavily. So it's not a matter of IF he's not right. He clearly hasn't been right.

The likely reasons why:

- Could be the knee injury from round 1 giving him grief. This is very possible, as when Buddy also had bone bruising from that knee injury earlier in the year, I was doing some reading and several people who had hyper-extended their knees said the pain and discomfort lingered for months after the injury itself had healed.

- Could be a different injury all together, a niggle he's picked up along the way. This is also very possible, as it's easy to forget he is 82kg playing as an inside mid. He weighs less than guys who are shorter than him, like Florent and Warner. He's very slight for his position and role, and so the toll on his body is greater.

- Could be that the knee injury earlier in the year, happening so soon when players are supposed to be building UP their fitness loads, not reducing them, has meant he's on restricted training. This would effect how match-fit and match-ready he is come game day (evidently not very, given his TOG), but it would also effect his form and confidence. Young players especially need every bit of training they can get behind them and if his training has been limited in some capacity then it's not surprising he wouldn't be as sharp and confident in matches.

Tbh, I suspect it is a bit of all of the above. His movement has looked restricted since that injury in round 1; he's not as sharp, agile or powerful as he usually is, so it's safe to assume there is discomfort there. That's likely effecting how he is able to train, which is then effecting how much game-time the coaching and conditioning staff are willing to give to him. Domino effect that's hard to get on top of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back