Preview Sydney Swans vs Fremantle Dockers, Saturday May 22 @ Optus Stadium - Rd 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't forget: teams to be announced tonight just like in the Before Times

This is kind of a season-defining game. Pundits are understandably wondering whether we belong in the eight. We tend to play better against the top sides and then lapse into mediocrity against lower sides. If we bring our intensity we can put them away and start making a case for top 4.

Seems crazy. They were talking about protecting him and they play him on the same hard surface that has claimed him before. If he is injured Horse should be held accountable for having no commitment to risk management of our most valuable player.

Unchanged - Clarke as sub, unless we take Stephens over, then Stephens as sub. If Stephens goes over and isn't sub, we are mad (unless we whisk him away straight after opening bounce @ 5:40 local, to get on a flight back for the ressies game on Sunday).

Last edited:
Big call there.

Different styles, yes - but saying Logue (a fringe selection) is better one-on-one that Ryan (an All-Australian defender) is a bold statement.

Regardless, Cox is now Freo's number 1 key defender (even Fyfe has declared it to be the case) & if Cox goes to McL .... its a big compliment to McL.
In the spirit of good information for both sides (I come in peace!), Ryan would likely be our best 1v1 defender, and this year Logue has been tasked with taking the number 1 forward to allow Cox to use his intercepting strengths, in Logue's first game of the year he was given the job on Tex Walker, he is much more a lockdown defender.

Would love to know your boards thoughts on who would be matching up on Freo's talls (Taberner and Lobb)? Am I right in thinking Rampe plays as a key back?

Cheers guys

In the spirit of good information for both sides (I come in peace!), Ryan would likely be our best 1v1 defender, and this year Logue has been tasked with taking the number 1 forward to allow Cox to use his intercepting strengths, in Logue's first game of the year he was given the job on Tex Walker, he is much more a lockdown defender.

Would love to know your boards thoughts on who would be matching up on Freo's talls (Taberner and Lobb)? Am I right in thinking Rampe plays as a key back?

Cheers guys
Rampe can play on talls or smalls at 189cm. Wouldn't be surprised to see some switching, but I'd say Rampe on Taberner and McCartin on Lobb. McCartin a bit taller, a bit slower. Fox is another option on Taberner (especially if Rampe takes a resting Fyfe), but he's even shorter than Rampe (not that it's stopped him before). Height probably not the usual advantage in the wet, which looks likely.

Cheers guys
Rampe and McCartin are the keys but quite possibly will switch around as they did with the Pies. Rampe took JDG Q1 then switched off him. Fox can play surprisingly tall too.

Happy with that. Would've liked an unchanged lineup but Stephens is the best like for like for McInerney. Hope he goes well!

I hope we're not too short down back.
Ditto. McInerney straight back after a rest, but hopefully Stephens locks himself into the 22.

Hopefully wet weather favours us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In: Stephens
Out: McInerney (managed), Bell (omitted from sub)

View attachment 1132598
Sensible

"We have had a number of our younger players have stress related injuries this year and Justin had problems with his back last year so we were advised by our medical department that he needs to have a week off," coach John Longmire said.
Dylan Stephens comes back into the side on the back of a dominant performance in the VFL last weekend where he gathered 37 disposals in the Swans win over Collingwood.
"Dylan's a really good two-way runner and he uses the ball really well so it's good to get him back in" Longmire said.
"His form last week (in the VFL ) was really good, so it's good for him to get reward for that."

Sensible

"We have had a number of our younger players have stress related injuries this year and Justin had problems with his back last year so we were advised by our medical department that he needs to have a week off," coach John Longmire said.

So be it, but a bit of a shame insofar as it comes at an inopportune time, form wise.
Last week he had his highest ever possession count at AFL level and led the team in I50s.

I thought he played well and was actually more influential than he had been in previous weeks.

But if he needs a break, he needs a break.
Hopefully just the one week off.

If the concern is with his back I don't see much point on putting him on a plane trip Perth and back (as one of the four named emergencies).

Last edited:
JMac - 'managed'

Managed / Rest all bullshit. When did AFL football become so soft ? Kick a goal come off for a rest, no goal kicking after training because it might go over your permitted training load hrs logged, rotate off the bench not up forward. Weak as piss. Not talking about the players either. Its the overpaid overrated sports scientists and the dribble they spew out to people at the top end of the code who listen to their tripe and think it’s best practice.

Managed / Rest all bullshit. When did AFL football become so soft ? Kick a goal come off for a rest, no goal kicking after training because it might go over your permitted training load hrs logged, rotate off the bench not up forward. Weak as piss. Not talking about the players either. Its the overpaid overrated sports scientists and the dribble they spew out to people at the top end of the code who listen to their tripe and think it’s best practice.
Preventative medicine is a thing you know.

Or do we wait for Mcinerney to require weeks off as happened with Campbell & Gulden?

It sounds to me like McInerney being rested is more to do with him not being able to do full training. Horse said the docs told him to go easy this week so he didn't do as much training. A veteran could get away with skipping a session or two and still playing; a 20 year old could not. They need every session.

Absolutely needs a rest if its a issue with his back you dont want him to develop a chronic back issue early in his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back