Preview Sydney Swans vs Fremantle Dockers, Sunday 12:30pm @ Metricon

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that would be most people's preference.
Now hold your breath but I wonder if he's considered playing back pocket? Seriously. Too small for any other defensive position but quick, agile and combative. Worth at least a few minutes' thought.
Unusual for such a high draft pick for sure but how else is he going to break into.the team? As a winger or midfielder he has an awful lot in front of him.
I don't like to say it but your suggested future for him sounds like Ling's. I still think he is a square peg. One more offseason will prove one way or another. He is a COVID baby. No games 1st year in clubland. Now this year interrupted year. He has pace. Some footy smarts. Hopefully he bulks up and plays like someone who owns his position in the side.

I gotta say I'm not loving the character assessments we are giving Stephens. We don't even know him.

Maybe he does have confidence issues on the field, and that would be my best guess at this point just based on what I've seen of him. But that is very different to saying that because he might be a quiet/low-key/modest kinda personality that he will be up against it in his career. There are plenty of blokes who are unassuming characters off the field but become beasts when on it. I mentioned this a few weeks ago in regards to Jack Steele's captaincy at the Saints.

I agree with this. Hewett is another unassuming guy who just plays good footy.

JPK is another one who eschews media street. Ramps and Mills are much more comfortable.

I really like Jack Steele who might be a similar character. Like JPK he over achieves on the ability he possesses but like Miller at the GoCo as well he is a terrific player.

I gotta say I'm not loving the character assessments we are giving Stephens. We don't even know him.

Maybe he does have confidence issues on the field, and that would be my best guess at this point just based on what I've seen of him. But that is very different to saying that because he might be a quiet/low-key/modest kinda personality that he will be up against it in his career. There are plenty of blokes who are unassuming characters off the field but become beasts when on it. I mentioned this a few weeks ago in regards to Jack Steele's captaincy at the Saints.
Yes, let’s never forget Mitch Morton, AKA Mr September, and his issues with chronic anxiety..

Where has his character been judged ?

I rekn it comes down to his attitude, not ability. He just looks like a reserved, passive, introvert type fella. Whether he's getting a touch or getting touched up he has the same monotone face expression. Looks wayyy out of his depth and has no energy. I noticed it and pointed it out from day one. Combine that with shirking marking contests, I can see why he's not valued highly. Doesn't seem the type of personality that will drag his team over the line. Take mcinerneys first game for example, struggled to get a touch but you could see the desperation in his efforts. Havnt seen that from stephens.

Might sound shallow and unfair but to me it stuck out like dogs balls from day one.

He needs to hit the gym and get thrown into a boxing ring. Get smacked around a bit to fire him up.

I'm not going to go back over nearly a season's worth of posts very similar to this, but they have literally appeared every time Stephens has played at senior level, and even in the reserves thread. His personality and character has been heavily dissected on here by some and it's unacceptable.

Looking forward to an underwhelming performance from Ronke and the board responding with "Give Ronke a second chance. First game back from injury".

I reserve the right to delete this post if he plays well.

He won't though.
Screenshotted.

I don't like to say it but your suggested future for him sounds like Ling's. I still think he is a square peg. One more offseason will prove one way or another. He is a COVID baby. No games 1st year in clubland. Now this year interrupted year. He has pace. Some footy smarts. Hopefully he bulks up and plays like someone who owns his position in the side.
Stephens played 8 games last year.. 5 (some as sub) this year. His running, both speed and tank, are pretty big assets. Ill back him in.

On the suggestion of back pocket.. thats where I can see Bell playing. Cunningham has moved from the wing to back pocket and done wonders. Lings future as backup is in question. We probably need a back up for Harry. Bell poses a lot of the attributes needed to do well in that position - temperament, speed, agility, team player, cheap salary, will be happy to just stay on the list.

Stephens played 8 games last year.. 5 (some as sub) this year. His running, both speed and tank, are pretty big assets. Ill back him in.

On the suggestion of back pocket.. thats where I can see Bell playing. Cunningham has moved from the wing to back pocket and done wonders. Lings future as backup is in question. We probably need a back up for Harry. Bell poses a lot of the attributes needed to do well in that position - temperament, speed, agility, team player, cheap salary, will be happy to just stay on the list.
I meant to say limited games first year. And square peg means we havent found his right position yet. He needs to bulk up and get some confidence in himself. I'm hoping next year he comes of age.

I meant to say limited games first year. And square peg means we havent found his right position yet. He needs to bulk up and get some confidence in himself. I'm hoping next year he comes of age.
yep, Another pre-season will do him wonders. he was 69kg 1st yr, 76kg this year. another 5kgs will help.
He seems to me a 30 possession / game hybrid mid. I can also see him playing Lloyds role in 3 or 4 years - good tank, bit bigger than Lloyd, good short kicking game, good conservative kicking game, more speed and could offer more in attack.

nb. I reckon hes a very confident player. Think it was Buddy (one of the senior players) that said he was the cheekiest of all the young crew.
Theres more little signs to suggest to me hes staying than leaving (except the no contract situation??)

yep, Another pre-season will do him wonders. he was 69kg 1st yr, 76kg this year. another 5kgs will help.
He seems to me a 30 possession / game hybrid mid. I can also see him playing Lloyds role in 3 or 4 years - good tank, bit bigger than Lloyd, good short kicking game, good conservative kicking game, more speed and could offer more in attack.

nb. I reckon hes a very confident player. Think it was Buddy (one of the senior players) that said he was the cheekiest of all the young crew.
Theres more little signs to suggest to me hes staying than leaving (except the no contract situation??)
I have no doubt he is staying. Bigfooty is the only doubt. Not sure anyone has a better tank than Lloyd. As I said in another post, our mids end up filling the defender roles. With more pace than Lloyd he will work out fine.

I'm not going to go back over nearly a season's worth of posts very similar to this, but they have literally appeared every time Stephens has played at senior level, and even in the reserves thread. His personality and character has been heavily dissected on here by some and it's unacceptable.

As long as it is not personal it’s acceptable.
The zed guy basically calls him a squib.

As long as it is not personal it’s acceptable. Being physically weak which he looks at this level is not calling him a squib. It’s a physical game and he at times looks to be out of his ground. Anyway me myself if I am going to judge a persons character it won’t be a Swans player. Liz Cambage might be another story !

Last year Stephens impressed me more than this year. His tackling and pressure was up but I think the coaches wanted him to play a more outside game and not be drawn into the contest. I think this year he has adhered more but impressed less.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last year Stephens impressed me more than this year. His tackling and pressure was up but I think the coaches wanted him to play a more outside game and not be drawn into the contest. I think this year he has adhered more but impressed less.
We've played Campbell back, Gulden forward, Blakey forward wing and back, Dawson forward back and wing, Cunningham forward wing and back, etc. Its takes a while to educate players how to play in the team. Also only so many players can play in one area of the field. Heeney plays forward but sometimes back. Reid forward ruck sometimes back. Parker mid and sometimes forward. Stephens is coming into a team that is mature and spaces are limited in certain positions. He likes to play inside but is being trained to play outside. Sounds normal.

When covid is gone & we can all catch up again we should try to get a big BFSwans contingent to Beer Deluxe I reckon... Might do it when we're in the GF perhaps?
I don't think COVID will be over by September. Or a you talking about when we are going for back to back next year.

Get vaccinated or get sick or pass it on to friends and family and others. Simple really.

youre aware that vaccination doesn’t stop you catching or spreading COVID right? It just ensures that youdon’t end up in hospital on a ventilator

youre aware that vaccination doesn’t stop you catching or spreading COVID right? It just ensures that youdon’t end up in hospital on a ventilator
The options I presented were not mutually exclusive.
Yes vaccination pretty much ensures you don't die or get severe illness. It can repel it. You can catch it if vaccinated in some cases and maybe pass it onto others.
If not vaccinated you could die or get severe illness and are much more likely pass it onto others.
Pretty simple.

They can't be older than Geelong surely?
They actually are funnily enough. I was surprised as well. What Cats have is Dad's Army then a huge gap. Few mid age players 24-27. But The majority of Saints list is on the 26-30 age group that is supposed to be premiership window. Someone should tell these clowns you actually have to be a talented unit to win a Premiership.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back