Game Day Sydney Swans vs Geelong Cats Sat 1st May 7:25pm SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
I think I speak for all us when I ask..7:25pm? What is this, the almost 7:30 game but not quiet?

Channel 7 probably hate us at the moment, 3 weeks ago they were looking at a prime time game between two contenders and skewed their floating draw accordingly. Ah the vagaries of football, a brutal bloody game indeed.

I'm not sure what to call last weeks game against the Suns, if I hadn't already been watching from the hospital emergency room I think I'd have headed up there after half time after watching that rubbish.

The Cats on the other hand, finally got their mojo going and completely obliterated the Eagles down at Alphabet soup stadium in Geelong. Still not sure what to make of that, because the Eagles are as utterly shizen away from home as much as the Cats are world beaters when they stay at home. It's like a weird false positive that gives none of us a clue as to what happens next.

Needless to say statements had to be made at the Swans selection table this week. I'm not entirely sure bringing in a player who we all expected to be out for 6 weeks is the right call but what do I know, but Hickey is a gem and I hope he plays well. Hewett is out of the backline and COR is in - that will make more than a few of us on here breathe a sigh of relief. McCartin down back is sorely needed and I'm excited at seeing what Stephens makes of his opportunity.

Players In:
Colin O'Riordan, Dylan Stephens, Tom Hickey, Tom McCartin

Players Out:
Braeden Campbell (Omitted),George Hewett (Injured),Kaiden Brand (Omitted),Nick Blakey (Omitted),Sam Reid (Injured)

Match Details:

.... if I hadn't already been watching from the hospital emergency room I think I'd have headed up there after half time after watching that rubbish.

Hope you're coming along OK Ticky009

Last person I heard of who broke both ankles was Jordan/Katie Price the UK 'glamour model'/bimbo.
So I'm sure people will delight in comparing you with her and that will no doubt cheer you up immensely.

Take it easy (as if you're likely to be doing anything else) and genuine best wishes. :)

Hope you're coming along OK Ticky009

Last person I heard of who broke both ankles was Jordan/Katie Price the UK 'glamour model'/bimbo.
So I'm sure people will delight in comparing you with her and that will no doubt cheer you up immensely.

Take it easy (as if you're likely to be doing anything else) and genuine best wishes. :)
Thanks mate. Its all good. I'll stop plugging my tale of whoa now, but couldn't resist for comedic effect after last weeks game. I was honestly hoping for something to take my mind off things when I got them to change to channel :roflv1: :roflv1: that proved to be not the case however.

:grin: :grimacing:

More nervous about how Hickey will go than the result of the game.
Man I'm right there with you. But they've declared him fit to play so from my perspective that means he's capable of playing out the game.

if I hadn't already been watching from the hospital emergency room I think I'd have headed up there after half time after watching that rubbish.

What?!

I hope you and yours are doing well.

I sincerely hope this is somehow Tequila related

If it follows the PCL norm, Hickey will be able to run straight lines, but not turn.

Wouldn’t surprise me if he was a late out - as I’m really not sure we need 2 rucks.

You heard it first here folks - Clarke will be a late in.

Really hope we win. Smashed em last year for the first half and barely ended up losing.

They added some leg speed in their inclusions too so might be harder to run c

Don’t really understand why we are playing two rucks against the cats. If you want to beat them you need to move the ball quickly, two rucks doesn’t really fit the mould

With no Reid, Franklin or McDonald I imagine Sinclair will be playing as a forward rather than a ruck. Not ideal but we don't have many other options.

This game wil give us a serious idea of where we're at... we win this and we're legit finalists, galant defeat and we're on the finals fringes, lose and... we can look forward to a top 6 pick and plenty of naval gazing this off season

Reckon I said the same thing last week.

I think it'll be a galant defeat. We need to take some positives out of this game because it's Melbourne next week and that could get ugly if we're floundering

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only thing IMO is stupid is leaving Sinclair in ( not bagging ) just on balance

I think he's still in just to give Hickey a rest as he's returning from an injury and also because we're so light on for tall forwards. I'm glad they didn't rush Logan back in, I'd much rather him play some full games in the 2's before he comes back for his own development.

Our young enthusiastic young Bloods will run free from the oldies,
so will have time deliver the ball to our spread out, leading forwards.

As Ash Barty has said
“If I miss or make a mistake, it’s OK. It’s not going to be the end of the world if I make a few errors. It’s just playing without consequence and not focusing on the result as such.”

As others have said, a little nervous about Hickey, especially when bending over in the packs.

Looking forward to having Dylan back - hard to believe he is playing only his 10th game

Sydney​
Attribute​
Geelong​
187.1cm​
Height​
187.7cm​
83.7kg​
Weight​
87.6kg​
24yr 5mth​
Age​
27yr 9mth​
79.6​
Games​
140.7​
Sydney​
Games​
Geelong​
10​
Less than 50​
4​
4​
50 to 99​
5​
5​
100 to 149​
2​
3​
150 or more​
11​

We have lifted in past years so we can do this today
Swans Geelong 2018.jpg
"This has been a famous victory for the Sydney Swans!"
Our come from behind win against the Cats in Round 6, 2018.

Mighty Bloods by 24 points
AFL_2021_Bloods.png
#GoBloods #ProudlySydney #bloods

Hope the crowd put some pressure on Grohan. He does not like pressure. Expect COR will pick him up.

Oh well I am guessing Melican will play on Dawkins. We can but hope for the best. McCartin (with help from Dawson) picks up Cameron.

I fear our mids face a real battle. Surely the onus is on them to find some runners and not bomb it forward. Hopefully Rowy, Warner and Stephens get some time in at centre clearances. Am guessing JPK and Selwood will be happy to play on each other again. Duncan is vital for their mob and should be the one mid tagged.

For me the wing battles between their ageing stars and our two lads will be a real highlight.

Unless our entries forward are more efficient, their defence will have a field day, given Sinkers is a statue and McLean is inexperienced. Hopefully both are instructed to keep out of each others way. Our small and medium forwards need to be at their best.

Given our crew are pretty banged up, I am tipping a win by 7 points and a few hundred metres of bandages.

Our season is going to go one of two ways from here.

Either we be strict with ins and outs, replacing players like for like in terms of the role they play, keeping all players in their most impactful positions rather than using them to replace others (aka Campbell out for Rowbottom and McInerney having to cover it because Ling who is next best suited to that role wasn't brought in), which will give us the biggest chance of solidifying our structure and thus getting the best out of the season.

Or

We keep playing musical chairs with positions and roles, shuffle everyone around constantly in order to 'rest' players and play the favourites, and basically turn the remainder of the season into a experimental development year in which we probably still end up finishing bottom 4.

We've stockpiled on talent, we've got excellent depth (maybe only lacking defensively), young teams in the recent past have come out of the blocks and have been able to contend. There's no excuses, and professional athletes needing a 'rest' is absolute bs, they've got 6 days of it inbetween games. Play the players who bring out the best in our team chemistry and get on with it.

OK, good to see some passion but I disagree on a couple of things

All elite athletes, professional or amateur, young or old, need to have their training and competition loads managed to perform at their best at the rightl time. Sometimes that means resting. We hear of the big injuries but players are managing niggles all the time. It's not BS, it's human.

As for changing positions, sometimes it's about learning another side to one's game, sometimes it's trying someone out in a role they could make their own, ie McCartin. Sometimes it's due to injury, needing to rest or even gaining confidence through a positional move. Flexibility is key in the modern game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back