Game Day Sydney Swans vs Geelong Cats Sat 1st May 7:25pm SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 14, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
A lot people on the MB grabbing the popcorn for Chris Scott’s presser but he’s actually been very gracious.

I was actually quite impressed.

That ball went at least 14.99 metres. Working out if it travelled that extra cm in a split second under pressure. Scott was right, umpires don't have it easy

Either way, i reckon this was a karma game. A square up for the Cats v Brisbane and also us not getting over the line agsinst GWS

I was actually quite impressed.

That ball went at least 14.99 metres. Working out if it travelled that extra cm in a split second under pressure. Scott was right, umpires don't have it easy

Either way, i reckon this was a karma game. A square up for the Cats v Brisbane and also us not getting over the line agsinst GWS
Scott was very passive aggressive in that presser.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
Dont worry, I won't tell anyone if you don't.

D'oh!!

I love a good surprise! I actually enjoyed cleaning out the cellar today with this game on the radio!
Great win after being concerned the Cats might blow us away but we settled well. I wish we woukd stop lising players every week. Melican stiff after his best game this year.

SASwan

Draftee
Apr 6, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
All the talk about the non-mark to Cameron. Even if it was paid a mark, he was no guarantee to kick it. Siren probably would have gone before he took his kick, he would have been on an acute angle and would not have been able to move off his line. No guarantee.
Plus the disgracefule free kick paid to Brad Close when Jake Lloyd hardly laid a feather on him makes up for the mark not paid.
Too bad Geelong. Chris Scott is a big wus.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sister in law went to her first game last night, we've got a convert there. Fantastic first game for her to go to.

Great game all round from the boys, from the first few minutes of the first quarter it felt like we were switched on and back to the dynamic, aggressive play of the first few rounds, and while we lagged a bit late in that quarter, from that point on we really surged over the top of them.

The Stephens deliberate with 5mins to go was a horrendous call lead to the Dalhaus goal.

Number of calls like that. Think there was a passage in the third where a Cats defender took the tackle on and got tackled for no HTB basically right in front of our goal as well.

We didn't get a lot of HTB calls Cats players were strong enough to stand in our tackles and dish the handball.

The instance I was talking about as with a few others it resulted in a ball up despite taking on the tackler.

JZ_Skitzo

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Seahawks
Number of calls like that. Think there was a passage in the third where a Cats defender took the tackle on and got tackled for no HTB basically right in front of our goal as well.
There was definitely one on the wing. Dude tried to spin passed the tackler. Gets tackled. Ball up.

Lions, tigers and now cats. You wouldn't want a feline mascot when playing the swans.

We have not yet lost to a Victorian team!

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
I actually said this.
" I would rather Paddy McCartin forward than Sinkers. Yeah I know he can't play for us but just saying."

You used to have better comprehension of posts but lately you're a bit off Bungee.
And I'd prefer the tooth fairy did direct deposits rather than sticking some loose change under my pillow. Just saying. I know she doesn't have a bank account, but I don't come on here whining that my fantasy won't come true.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
How did they work out for us?
In fact he did better for us in 2012 while being paid by the Hawks.;)

More anti-Franklin BS ? rustycrate made the point that Franklin gets teams to GFs.

"Be interesting to see you consistently criticise Buddy for getting us to two Grand Finals as well. Can not have it both ways"

Does Franklin get teams to GFs ? The facts suggest he does. He averages 4 goals per game for the 4 games immediately leading into the GF.

"How did that work out for us ?" you replied. Well, in a GF, or in any game, any one player can be stopped or curtailed. The result of any GF comes down to how well a whole team plays except, in instances like 2016, where the umpires determine who will win.

2008 Franklin kicks 17 goals in 4 games leading to the GF. He kicks 2 in the GF but Hawks win as they have 11 goal kickers including 5 with multiple
2012 Franklin kicks 15 goals in 4 games leading to the GF. He kicks 3 in the GF but he and other Hawks forwards are well held by Swans defence.
2013 Franklin kicks 12 goals in 4 games leading to the GF. He kicks 1 in the GF but Hawks win as Gunston kicks a bag.
2014 Franklin kicks 23 goals in 4 games leading to the GF. He kicks 4 in the GF but an insipid performance by our team loses the game.
2016 Franklin kicks 13 goals in 4 games leading to the GF. He kicks 1 in the GF after sustaining a foot injury from friendly fire in the opening minutes. 6 other Swans chip in but the AFL has decided to be part of the Bravedogs fairytale. The umpires act accordingly.

There's no doubt that Buddy was a big part of getting us to both the 2014 and 2016 GFs. You asked "How did that work out for us ?". You already know the answer. Not great, but Buddy wasn't the problem. In 2016, with Buddy injured, Kennedy stepped up with 3 and even Nick Smith kicked one but far too many of our forwards simple failed to fire or missed shots. Tippet, McGlynn, XRichards, Papley all kicked zip. In 2014 most of the team stayed on the bus.

In 5 Grand Finals Franklin averaged 2 goals for the Hawks and 2.5 goals for Swans
In the 4 games leading to each of his 5 GFs Franklin averaged 3.7 goals for the Hawks and 4.5 goals for Swans.

The stats suggest rustycrate is spot on and you are indeed trying to have it both ways, picking your criticisms and not giving Buddy credit when its due.

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Hahaha these game day threads are always a good laugh when read back after the game and the result is known, particularly after a game such as this one was.
It's why I never usually post a lot during the game. Way too much emotion and going early.

Back