Preview Sydney Swans vs Gold Coast Suns, Saturday April 24 @ Metricon

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty ironic given his username. Maybe time to head back to the Bombers.

He is a good mid but he’d be an AA half forward mid. I honestly feel that’s his position we are way too slow in the midfield and having Rowbottom come in there is a good idea. We don’t need 4-5 slow mids in there it’s either Kennedy or Parker and they won’t drop JPK

It’s either a development year, in which case Taylor doesn’t get a look-in.

Or

We believe we’re genuine contenders, in which case he would likely replace Papley.
There are heaps of better options. Bring any of Stephens, COR, Ling in and shuffle Blakey, Hewett, McInerney around. Development year or not, they can all offer more on the day than Taylor off the back of a good reserves game (and gives a player with potential valuable game time). Feel like with Wicks, Gulden, Hayward there's enough permanent small(ish) types with McInerney, Warner, Rowbottom, Parker, Florent, Hewett all capable of offering something down forward when resting.

There are heaps of better options. Bring any of Stephens, COR, Ling in and shuffle Blakey, Hewett, McInerney around. Development year or not, they can all offer more on the day than Taylor off the back of a good reserves game (and gives a player with potential valuable game time). Feel like with Wicks, Gulden, Hayward there's enough permanent small(ish) types with McInerney, Warner, Rowbottom, Parker, Florent, Hewett all capable of offering something down forward when resting.
If Papley is out, I can't see CoR or Ling coming in to replace him. Just doesn't work positionally.

And whilst I think Stephens has huge upside (I'd love to see him selected) - I still think Papley needs to be replaced with a genuine forward.

Titus pre-game :laughing:
Football sometimes surprises you. Like Lance Franklin getting injured. Franklin is obviously one of the all-time greats, but hiss body seems to hold up as well as mine does, and that’s bad.
His loss adds to the injury woes with Isaac Heeney also out, and the Swans forward line suddenly looks slightly less scary.
It’s lucky the Swans have a host of young players coming through, thanks to their academy, which is something I’m legally required to criticise given I live in Melbourne.
Technically, I’m not required to mention it if the Swans aren’t winning, but if they are I have to go in hard.

To be honest, I don’t know why. The AFL draft is so compromised, I’ve no idea how any team can really get on their high horse about it, especially a lot of the powerful Melbourne teams.

Between father-son picks, academies and the fact most clubs couldn’t do well in the draft even if they had every single pick, the AFL draft is more compromised than a public figure who has a Russian Kompromat file on them.

Swans to win.

[/QUOTE]

Parker gets more contested possessions & clearances than anyone else in our midfield except Kennedy, and is only behind Gulden in our score involvements. Moving him to our forward line would weaken our midfield group a significant chunk
[/QUOTE]

Sorry but talking sense around here will see you as an outcast.

The SCG's dimensions are fundamentally the same as Metricon (and plenty of other grounds):

SCG 155 x 136
Gabba 156 x 138
Metricon 158 x 134

Even the MCG (at 161 x 138) isn't vastly different.

The "our game plan doesn't work because of the SCG" argument just doesn't seem logical.

If anything, we should find it harder on the narrow grounds like the Adelaide Oval (167 x 123).

I just think its a mental thing at the SCG.
I agree with most of that, except the 'mental' thing bit... I think its a dew thing...

I think they should train under lights with dew every week in the preseason and until at least May!

Rowbottom is a promising young player but he really isn't much of a comparison to Parker when it comes to winning contested ball.
Rowbottom back into the middle and Parker forward makes more sense to me. Makes our midfield a little quicker with the same number of good clearance players in there and we get Parker's marking and dead-eye kicking for goal up forward to make up somewhat for Bud's absence. Not perfect replacements but good outcome imo.

Plus neither team is going to have a particularly good ruck option playing. Not like we're coming up against Naitanui or Gawn.

On Nokia 7.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Bruce you bloody hero. It's great when people watch the game and then talk about it rather than just make up stuff to suit the particular horse the are riding week to week.
The outside runner needs to be in the position to receive. JPK’s career handball numbers well exceed kicks (Parker’s slightly so) so the narrative of him burning runners in favour of hack kicks is bullshit.

But timing is an art for an outside runner. And if it’s off, there can’t be a release handball.

Did anyone actually ready the Papley article???

'The Swans say that Papley is fine has been managing his loads after a strong start to the season and insist he will be on to make the trip north to face the Suns. '

Did anyone actually ready the Papley article???

'The Swans say that Papley is fine has been managing his loads after a strong start to the season and insist he will be on to make the trip north to face the Suns. '

I'm guessing the editor didn't

If Papley is out, I can't see CoR or Ling coming in to replace him. Just doesn't work positionally.

And whilst I think Stephens has huge upside (I'd love to see him selected) - I still think Papley needs to be replaced with a genuine forward.
I didn't say bring COR or Ling in to play forward though. You shuffle someone like Hewett into mids and then a few other mids get more fwd time. I listed a bunch of people who can do just that.

Also, Taylor isn't even a genuine forward. He's played back and mids as well in his career. I back the mids and wingers I listed as forwards over him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't say bring COR or Ling in to play forward though. You shuffle someone like Hewett into mids and then a few other mids get more fwd time. I listed a bunch of people who can do just that.

Also, Taylor isn't even a genuine forward. He's played back and mids as well in his career. I back the mids and wingers I listed as forwards over him.

The bolded is simply out of the question. Unthinkable. Why would you even make such a disgraceful suggestion?

I’m not here to pump up Lewis Taylor I see him now as injury cover but after rightly being howled early his late year form was pretty good up until his injury against Brisbane in Cairns.

He put a few handy games together. I would expect him to do well at reserves level and hope he does have a good patch of consistent reserves form before being considered again to cover any outs.

Bruce you bloody hero. It's great when people watch the game and then talk about it rather than just make up stuff to suit the particular horse the are riding week to week.

Thanks mate, it just gets tiresome. "JPK is slow......JPK does too many hack kicks......JPK gets caught with the ball...."

It's boring and it's wrong.

No. And it's not semantics.

The idea of Parker replacing Papley as a predominant forward is preposterous.

The idea of Parker being part of a forward rotation to replace Papley with an extra midfielder is unremarkable.

I don't think it's preposterous at all. I think Parker would be a great forward.

I don't think it's preposterous at all. I think Parker would be a great forward.

I didn't say he wouldn't be a good forward. I said the idea of him replacing Papley as a predominant forward is preposterous.

1. He's an A grade midfielder.
2. He doesn't have Papley's speed off the mark or his agility.

He would certainly be a good forward as would McCartin. But he's better as an inside midfielder.

I didn't say he wouldn't be a good forward. I said the idea of him replacing Papley as a predominant forward is preposterous.

1. He's an A grade midfielder.
2. He doesn't have Papley's speed off the mark or his agility.

He would certainly be a good forward as would McCartin. But he's better as an inside midfielder.

He doesn't have to be a like-for-like swap with Papley to be able to offer as much as Paps does. It's one game, in the event that Papley doesn't get up. Will fill the void left by Papley inside 50, and Rowbottom will fill the void left by Parker in the midfield.

You might not think that the best course of action, in which case fair enough, but I don't think anything I just described is preposterous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back