Preview Sydney Swans vs Gold Coast Suns, Saturday April 24 @ Metricon

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just listened to the Horse presser.
He didn't confirm that Sinclair was a guaranteed in for Hickey whereas he didn't hesitate to say that Rowbottom would come in.

Maybe we just go in with McLean &/or Amarty gets a chance.

Sinclair is average but I'd take him rucking over Reid & McLean doing it. We need to keep those 3 talls forward. It benefits Reid, it benefits McLean, it benefits Logan, it benefits the medium forward (usually Heeney, currently Hayward), and it benefits our three smalls buzzing around their feet.

3 tall forwards should be a non-negotiable for us this year IMO.

Yep still had twenty odd touches and 6 tackles without trying and on limited minutes. He is a serious talent and we need him back in the ones! Will notice the difference with him back in the midfield.
I’m not saying he shouldn’t be selected. I was responding to the relative risk of him returning via the Reserves and noting you can’t play at three quarters in the seniors.

Yeah but he didn’t play at full pace. He really just went through the motions bruise free.

He should have either played seniors or did some bruise free training then. I never understood a soft run in the reserves. Every reserves game I’ve ever played has been harder than seniors, maybe not in speed but in working for a kick.

But I never got to watch the reserves so will bow to your knowledge about how he went about it.

I still think Sinkers is cooked in the seniors but no doubt he will give his absolute all when given the chance.
Not going to look forward to his taps to nowhere though.

Let’s hope hickey is less than the 8

With the way the bloke has rucked so far this season its everything you want in a ruckman. Can tap, and get his own ball when it hits the deck. Clears the ball from dangerous situations for us, marks the football around the ground, hits targets with disposal and kicks goals. What more could you ask for from a ruckman ? Don't want to keep putting the boots into the bloke especially considering his injuries but has Naismith ever showed even a glimpse of any of this ? Before anybody says he is a good tap ruckman my answer would be so would my 2year Old Grandson if he was nearly 7 ft tall. Why he has been kept on the list is beyond me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With the way the bloke has rucked so far this season its everything you want in a ruckman. Can tap, and get his own ball when it hits the deck. Clears the ball from dangerous situations for us, marks the football around the ground, hits targets with disposal and kicks goals. What more could you ask for from a ruckman ? Don't want to keep putting the boots into the bloke especially considering his injuries but has Naismith ever showed even a glimpse of any of this ? Before anybody says he is a good tap ruckman my answer would be so would my 2year Old Grandson if he was nearly 7 ft tall. Why he has been kept on the list is beyond me.
said for years he isn’t much at all of a ruck. Just tall

Because he’s a very good ruckman.

I don't reckon Sinclair is a certainty after listening to Horse's presser... This weeks team could be interesting...

I got the same vibe KS. It felt like Horse was giving Sinclair the, "We should do this again some time" treatment when the reporters brought him up.

Which I find odd, because I'm not sure who else would be rucking. As underwhelming as Sinclair might've been in the VFL match, I don't think Amartey was any better, and I think he'd slot McLean straight in for Buddy. So if it does end up being Amartey, it would be purely to give a youngster a go, which I'm not opposed to... I guess...

Because he’s a very good ruckman.
[/QUOTE]

Okay Bruce I will keep my hair on you keep your one liners to yourself and lets have a civil discussion ? Why is he a very good ruckman ? What has he done to demonstrate that ?

I got the same vibe KS. It felt like Horse was giving Sinclair the, "We should do this again some time" treatment when the reporters brought him up.

Which I find odd, because I'm not sure who else would be rucking. As underwhelming as Sinclair might've been in the VFL match, I don't think Amartey was any better, and I think he'd slot McLean straight in for Buddy. So if it does end up being Amartey, it would be purely to give a youngster a go, which I'm not opposed to... I guess...
I haven't seen the 2s (barely had time to watch the firsts) so I have no idea why, but I definitely got the impression that Sinclair wasn't an automatic selection... Much too soon for Crayfish, will need several games in the two's you'd think... which kind of only leaves McLean and Amartey, I would have thought.

They've made a few selections we've been thinking were perhaps a little odd, and mostly they've worked for us, I think... so I'm happy to wait and see!

This weeks team selection might really set the cat among the pigeons on here...

I haven't seen the 2s (barely had time to watch the firsts) so I have no idea why, but I definitely got the impression that Sinclair wasn't an automatic selection... Much too soon for Crayfish, will need several games in the two's you'd think... which kind of only leaves McLean and Amartey, I would have thought.

They've made a few selections we've been thinking were perhaps a little odd, and mostly they've worked for us, I think... so I'm happy to wait and see!

Yeah, I think it's possible that Horse might like Reid in the ruck, I really hope not as I've been a fan of what Reid's done as a forward this year, and also a fan of our three-tall forward structure. But I still think the most likely outcome will be that Sinclair will just come in for Hickey. He's the safe, break-glass choice whenever our first-choice rucks have gone down. Maybe Horse was just playing funny buggers with the media.

The interesting one will be whoever Rowbottom replaces. As good as they have all been as a collective, there is going to be a quality kid we'd like to see getting games dropped this week. I think we all have our favourites too (ie mine would be Wicks, others Blakey, others McInerney, others Warner, others Campbell etc.) and so there will inevitably be some folks unhappy with whoever Horse & co settle on.

You also have to feel for Stephens, who finally gets an opening in the senior side, comes on as sub for a hot second, and now will likely lose his spot again. Tough business.

Sinclair rucked for the vast majority of the game, Amartey got a few more minutes in the the last qtr, when the game was won, but until then very little time in the ruck (just an occasional chop out for Callum).
McLean basically forward throughout. May have taken a ruck contest up there, but I certainly don't recall him taking a centre bounce.

Amartey did absolutely nothing to suggest to me (irrespective of opposition) that he is ready for the first ruck in the seniors.

I would be amazed if Sinclair doesn't come in this week.

As for Reid I would be equally amazed if Horse were to play him as the #1 ruck as it would impact on the structure and diminish the ability to use Reid's versality.

Hayward played like his career depended on that game (which it definitely did not, given he is currently signed on to the club beyond any other player). I hope he brings that same energy into this match and the rest after it.
Must have been dificult for him watching us play winning football for a month with all the young kids firing up forward. Certainly would have given him plenty of resolve and plenty to think about. Fantastic to see him come out with real intent, and hopefully he carries that forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back