Review Sydney Swans vs GWS Giants @ Scrubby Crickety Ground - Sat 27th April 7.25PM

I own a copy of this - amazing work by Grange Illustrations
1556279710348.png

1556279817015.png

Where and when: SCG, Saturday April 27, 7.25pm AEST

Last time they met: SCG, elimination final, 2018: Giants 10.19 (79) defeated Swans 4.6 (30)
Led by Toby Greene's 27 possessions and three goals, a dominant midfield and co-captain Phil Davis, who held Lance Franklin to just eight possessions, the Giants ended the home side's season with a smashing at the SCG.

What it means for Sydney: At 1-4 the Swans' season is on the line. They have issues to fix in all areas of the ground and don't appear to have any solutions to deal with their problems.

What it means for GWS: The Giants let themselves down again Fremantle last week when the game was on the line at the last change and must rebound strongly with positions on the ladder so tight.

How Sydney wins: With Phil Davis expected to miss the clash, Franklin simply has to have a massive influence. He looks the only Swan capable of heavily impacting the scoreboard, but he also brings the rest of his forwards into the game.

How GWS wins: The midfield had an off day against the Dockers, but they'll give the home side all sorts of trouble if stars like Josh Kelly, Stephen Coniglio and Lachie Whitfield can run and spread at the SCG.

The stat: In last year's disastrous final at the SCG the Swans had just 38 inside-50s, and even Franklin can't boot his team to victory with that amount of ball. The Swans' inside mids must win their battle.

The match-up: Dane Rampe v Jeremy Cameron
The star Giant leads the Coleman Medal race with 21 goals from five games, and even though he was quiet last week, the man ranked 101st in the Official AFL Player Ratings still managed to boot four against the Dockers. Rampe (227th) has been a shining light for Sydney this year and must maintain his form by shutting down Cameron as he has done regularly over the years.

It's a big week for: Sam Reid
The tall forward has barely had an impact with just four goals from five games this season and must lift his influence inside 50 to give the Swans a target. If Reid can find some touch, he'll be a big asset to Franklin and the team.

Big call: Young Giant Brent Daniels has done a power of work inside 50 this season but is yet to have a solid impact on the scoreboard. If he maintains his attack on the ball and the opposition this week, he'll get some reward and double his career-best haul of two majors.

Prediction: Giants by 29 points

The views in this article are those of the author and not necessarily those of the AFL or its clubs
More By Adam Curley

Off-topic suggestion - when you close the preview thread, post a link to the game day thread in it to make for ease of switching to the new thread (I keep missing that the old thread was locked).

KevDawg

EFC & GWS
Jun 6, 2015
Now Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Essendon, GWS & Giants Womens
I own a copy of this - amazing work by Grange Illustrations
View attachment 662639

View attachment 662644

Where and when: SCG, Saturday April 27, 7.25pm AEST

Last time they met: SCG, elimination final, 2018: Giants 10.19 (79) defeated Swans 4.6 (30)
Led by Toby Greene's 27 possessions and three goals, a dominant midfield and co-captain Phil Davis, who held Lance Franklin to just eight possessions, the Giants ended the home side's season with a smashing at the SCG.

What it means for Sydney: At 1-4 the Swans' season is on the line. They have issues to fix in all areas of the ground and don't appear to have any solutions to deal with their problems.

What it means for GWS: The Giants let themselves down again Fremantle last week when the game was on the line at the last change and must rebound strongly with positions on the ladder so tight.

How Sydney wins: With Phil Davis expected to miss the clash, Franklin simply has to have a massive influence. He looks the only Swan capable of heavily impacting the scoreboard, but he also brings the rest of his forwards into the game.

How GWS wins: The midfield had an off day against the Dockers, but they'll give the home side all sorts of trouble if stars like Josh Kelly, Stephen Coniglio and Lachie Whitfield can run and spread at the SCG.

The stat: In last year's disastrous final at the SCG the Swans had just 38 inside-50s, and even Franklin can't boot his team to victory with that amount of ball. The Swans' inside mids must win their battle.

The match-up: Dane Rampe v Jeremy Cameron
The star Giant leads the Coleman Medal race with 21 goals from five games, and even though he was quiet last week, the man ranked 101st in the Official AFL Player Ratings still managed to boot four against the Dockers. Rampe (227th) has been a shining light for Sydney this year and must maintain his form by shutting down Cameron as he has done regularly over the years.

It's a big week for: Sam Reid
The tall forward has barely had an impact with just four goals from five games this season and must lift his influence inside 50 to give the Swans a target. If Reid can find some touch, he'll be a big asset to Franklin and the team.

Big call: Young Giant Brent Daniels has done a power of work inside 50 this season but is yet to have a solid impact on the scoreboard. If he maintains his attack on the ball and the opposition this week, he'll get some reward and double his career-best haul of two majors.

Prediction: Giants by 29 points

The views in this article are those of the author and not necessarily those of the AFL or its clubs
More By Adam Curley
Great summary as always. That image is awesome.

KevDawg

EFC & GWS
Jun 6, 2015
Now Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Chances that Davis is out. Tobe comes in. Does that mean we lose Jeremy squared? Will they move Finlayson back to defend or will Corr fill that spot?
I know we’ve got the graphics on the team selection, but where will they now play TOJ and Tobes?

Last edited:

Teeso

All Australian
Jan 8, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Chances that Davis is out. Robe comes in. Does that mean we lose Jeremy squared? Will they move Finlayson back to defend or will Corr fill that spot?
I know we’ve got the graphics on the team selection, but where will they now play TOJ and Tobes?
Would be keen to see Taylor start on Franklin if Davis is out. Davis can pass him plenty of tips on how to best contain Buddy. I hold Taylor in high regard and think he has the athleticism to move with him. Inexperienced for sure and will undoubtedly be beaten from moment to moment but what he gains will be invaluable for him down the line and make him a better player. Haynes will also chop in and help out when required of course. Also it is Corr's first game back so personally, dont think he would be able to keep up with Buddy straight away and would benefit instead from going with Reid probably who is in poorer form. Tommo may need to head to defence if Blakey or/and McCartin present too.

The chemistry at the moment with the two Jezzas up front is going well so wouldnt be keen to break it up unless absolutely necessary. TOJ is someone that needs confidence to play well so to disrupt him now whilst he is thriving and enjoying his footy may not be the best move. Would probably swing Himmelberg back at this point if required to take that 3rd or 4th tall but doubt Sydney play 4 talls in attack as part of a set structure at any one time.

Would still like to see Tobes parked up forward rotating with Lloyd and to a lesser extent Cogs through the midfield as the small/medium marking target. May be worthwhile giving Tobes more forward time to start with though until he has had some more mileage in his legs given his initial calf complaint.

Last edited:

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Can’t see TOJ moving back after he has been such a revelation up front

I think if Davis is out (likely) then corr plays on buddy

I see some benefit in using Taylor for a short stint on him but getting toweled up by one of the premier forwards in the game isn’t going to help him moving forward.

Shame on Hately being dropped- think he deserves to be there

KevDawg

EFC & GWS
Jun 6, 2015
Now Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Would be keen to see Taylor start on Franklin if Davis is out. Davis can pass him plenty of tips on how to best contain Buddy. I hold Taylor in high regard and think he has the athleticism to move with him. Inexperienced for sure and will undoubtedly be beaten from moment to moment but what he gains will be invaluable for him down the line and make him a better player. Haynes will also chop in and help out when required of course. Also it is Corr's first game back so personally, dont think he would be able to keep up with Buddy straight away and would benefit instead from going with Reid probably who is in poorer form. Tommo may need to head to defence if Blakey or/and McCartin present too.

The chemistry at the moment with the two Jezzas up front is going well so wouldnt be keen to break it up unless absolutely necessary. Would probably swing Himmelberg back at this point if required to take that 3rd or 4th tall but doubt Sydney play 4 talls in attack as part of a set structure at any one time.

Would still like to see Tobes parked up forward rotating with Lloyd and to a lesser extent Cogs through the midfield as the small/medium marking target. May be worthwhile giving Tobes more forward time to start with though until he has had some more mileage in his legs given his initial calf complaint.
Like it.
Love the way Taylor works for someone so young. Haynes does tend to know when to drop off his man and doubleteam someone. I hope we have a third defender stay down for the crumb.
Where do you see Finlayson in that mix up front?

Teeso

All Australian
Jan 8, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Like it.
Love the way Taylor works for someone so young. Haynes does tend to know when to drop off his man and doubleteam someone. I hope we have a third defender stay down for the crumb.
Where do you see Finlayson in that mix up front?
Williams isnt always a tight defender like Shaw and Kenners and would think he may be most likely to get the crumb if the ball is booted down when he is in defence.

I see Finlayson being a mobile, aggressive full forward who tackles hard and applies pressure. With his speed and versatility, expect him more to mark on the lead or crumbing rather than contested pack marks. Dont think he would have the tank to move higher up the ground like Cameron and Himmelberg. Those two usually rotate to be the half-forward that marks down the line, distributing to a Kelly/Whitfield, before charging back into the forward 50. Himmelberg today however may be used to take Aliir out the game though like in previous meetings as his intercepting has been devastating in the past especially when we bomb it in. Greene's position will be as the small forward parked up front with TOJ to take the contested marks, speccies as well as the potential to crumb down low. Will rotate with Lloyd and Cogs to be that strong small/medium forward. Daniels and MDB/Kelly/Lloyd to be the other 2 forwards who can provide tackling pressure and delivery into the forward 50 in conjunction with the mids. In a couple of weeks, think Langdon will make his way in to give MDB and Kelly more time in the midfield.

FB: Shaw Corr/Davis Haynes
HB: Williams Taylor Kenners
C: Whitfield Hopper Kelly
HF: MDB/Lloyd Cameron Daniels
FF: HH Finlayson Greene
R: Mumford Cogs Taranto

Last edited:
Off-topic suggestion - when you close the preview thread, post a link to the game day thread in it to make for ease of switching to the new thread (I keep missing that the old thread was locked).
Yep, good call, I had had a few last night when I created it :)

Sep 8, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GWS
Makes sense I think. However either he or Taylor will get spanked by buddy.

But the key is to not let it get down there. Not every team that has beaten the swans this year have had a Davis
Buntine not playing in the NEAFL, will be the likely emergency if Davis pulls out.

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back