Preview Sydney Swans vs GWS, Saturday April 17 @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is always solid logic in the sporting landscape.
Considering the results this year it seems like an even more pointless method. The form swings on some teams week to week have been huge and we're only up to round 5.

Sneaky feeling GWS will win this by a slim margin

Aye. They play well here. Am assuming Greene will get 5 and Harry the Hippoberg will score heavily. I guess Campbell (our future 14 year back pocket player*) will get the tricksy Bobby Hill with the latter scoring 2-3.

So I am seeing 13 goals from the Oppo before others chip in.

Why is everyone spooked by GWS? Our respective forms have been polar opposites so far this season. We're gonna smoke these fools.

Aye. They play well here. Am assuming Greene will get 5 and Harry the Hippoberg will score heavily. I guess Campbell (our future 14 year back pocket player*) will get the tricksy Bobby Hill with the latter scoring 2-3.

I'm sorry Horace but this post seems really defeatist to me. We're one of the form sides of the competition but we just expect them to get those 13 goals as a given?

Tbh the way Phil Davis is travelling these days, I wish he was playing tomorrow. Buddy could've kicked 10!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Greene will tear us a new one and if they get on top in the mids we are ****ed.

We only beat them last year because they are lazy

We win the same way we have won other games: massive team pressure, dominant midfield, smart ball movement.

Hickey has become such a weapon. Tomorrow he's up against either Flynn? or Mumford who wasn't meant to be playing this year. If it's Mumford it'll be interesting to see how well he backs up after the big game on Grundy last week.

Injuries and form don't mean much if you don't turn up on the day and keep it going. Plenty of quality in the Giants line-up that can hurt us in a short space of time.

Interestingly last year I tipped the Giants by 41 over us and it was a mirrored result the other way. So Giants by 100.

Greene will tear us a new one and if they get on top in the mids we are f’ed.

We beat them last year because it was the first time that we executed our game plan over four quarters. The same game plan that beat Brisbane at the Gabba and Richmond at the MCG. Were they lazy too?

We beat them last year because it was the first time that we executed our game plan over four quarters. The same game plan that beat Brisbane at the Gabba and Richmond at the MCG. Were they lazy too?
No and yes

Greene will tear us a new one and if they get on top in the mids we are f’ed.

Not picking on you, Milky, but I find it extraordinary that in this PC world this expression gets so easily bandied about. Even on radio. I hate it.

I really wish people would stop using it.

Their midfield still has Kelley, Taranto & Ward. They can throw Greene into the middle if they need to as well. The middle is where it'll be won, so long as we can keep on top of that we should be able to win.

Expecting Greene to rip us apart, we just don't have a good matchup for him. Will probably take a combination of Hewett tagging him with Dawson breaking away for the intercept to keep him quiet.

Our forwards should really set it apart. Don't think their defence is strong enough to stop our 6. If the midfield battle is matched we will win

Well damn we must be the luckiest team in the comp that we are getting all these teams on their lazy days!

Both Brisbane and Richmond dropped off against us as soon as we got on top. Tigers had a brief moment of fight, Lions had a few spurts. Laziness, resignation or just poor preparation for if things went south - whatever it was, they weren't on their A game for large parts, and some of it was just basic effort on their part.

Not picking on you, Milky, but I find it extraordinary that in this PC world this expression gets so easily bandied about. Even on radio. I hate it.

I really wish people would stop using it.
tenor.gif

Well damn we must be the luckiest team in the comp that we are getting all these teams on their lazy days!
I think GWS are a better midfield than ours. I think that'll show. I'm also trying not to get into the hype of how we are playing. I don't think we should have won last week. Eventually we'll drop a few

EDIT: Also without Rampe

Both Brisbane and Richmond dropped off against us as soon as we got on top. Tigers had a brief moment of fight, Lions had a few spurts. Laziness, resignation or just poor preparation for if things went south - whatever it was, they weren't on their A game for large parts, and some of it was just basic effort on their part.

I don't agree with that. They both had their periods of momentum, all teams do in footy. I would argue both of those teams are used to winning on the back of their surges. But the style of footy we are playing I think requires more than just surges of good footy. It punishes even small periods of laziness. We're using the space cleverly, moving it on quickly, and applying unrelenting pressure. To combat those things you have to be consistently switched on, defend tightly, and have your structures set up well. If you're off in any of these areas by even a fraction, then you're ripe for our style to pick apart.

We won't always deliver on our strengths, and there will be teams who manage to do all of those things right to match us, so we won't always win. But I think we deserve enormous credit for trying to develop a style of footy that forces teams to be at their best if they want to beat us, because that will work in our favour more often than not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back