Preview Sydney Swans vs GWS, Saturday April 17 @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mummy is playing for the Giants v the Pies. Flynn is being managed and I guess they are protecting Briggs from Grundy. I am curious to see if Mummy opts to throw his weight around. I expect a couple of Pies players will have their ears attuned to those thundering footsteps.

I expect he is in just for the one game and the old fella may struggle to come up in 7 days

Likely to be cold and wet at the G and there will be sore players on both teams. Happy our blokes have an extra 2 days recovery.

My concern with this match is that GWS (looking at you Mumford) will set out to bash our kids. It has happened before (JPK, Tippett) and my guess is they will want to do some damage at 0-4 (most likely). They have a few thugs and Cameron doesn't mind a bit. Mark my words.

Cameron now at Geelong.

What role is Cunningham playing at the moment? He seems to be flying under the radar.

Without disrupting the team too much, I would be keen to bring a few in for run and test the depth.
Harry was 10th in the Skilton last year playing back pocket. Not a back pocket in the old time sense, but as said below, mainly marking the opposition's most dangerous small forwards. He does that very effectively. Harry also has a very strong kick to get us the f$$k out of there when needed. He's also a very strong little bugger. You may have noticed him throw Richmond's Tom Lynch out of the way last week. If Harry was injured either Robbie Fox or Matt Ling would probably sub in. If.

If we hack kick it out of the centre all game to that Haynes prick I s2g.......
Yeah, I have held back in the autopsy thread but there were some experienced players in our side repeatedly no look hack kicking it forward leading to turnovers, notably the younger swans did not seem to be doing that near as much. I didn't want to rain on everyone's joy.

Harry was 10th in the Skilton last year playing back pocket. Not a back pocket in the old time sense, but as said below, mainly marking the opposition's most dangerous small forwards. He does that very effectively. Harry also has a very strong kick to get us the f$$k out of there when needed. He's also a very strong little bugger. You may have noticed him throw Richmond's Tom Lynch out of the way last week. If Harry was injured either Robbie Fox or Matt Ling would probably sub in. If.
That was epic v Lynch!

I think we're now at the point with Rowbottom where it's been 3 weeks of doing very little training. That's hardly ideal for a 20 year old, and I think we're probably past the stage where he walks back in. He will probably need a VFL game, or even a half, in his legs before he returns.

Hayward for Heeney seems an almost certainty. It's not ideal, but many (myself included) called for Hayward to be dropped, and so he deserves this chance to come back and show that he's worked hard on his game.

Any unforced changes I think will be interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if Horse liked Blakey's game against Essendon even less than some of us did. He's all about work rate and discipline, and I think some of the efforts and antics from Blakey off the ball would've bothered him more than what he did with the ball.

I'm sure he'd love to get Melican in, but I can't see him dropping any of those in the back-line.

So I think we will see:
IN - Hayward, Stephens
OUT - Heeney, Blakey, Bell
With Rowbottom in the VFL.
Makes sense, think its unlikely though.

Heeney for Rowbottom only change is my guess. Hayward or Stephens emergency sub. If Hayward does come in for Heeney he is going to want to have an absolute blinder.

If we hack kick it out of the centre all game to that Haynes prick I s2g.......
Last year we played Hayward on Haynes as a defensive fwd.
Haynes had his lowest tally of marks (only 2) for the year, his lowest disposal count (7) and just the one rebound 50.

Happy to bring in Hayward to do that role again.

I really think Logan needs a rest. He was out on his feet last night in the last quarter. He kept trying and worked exceptionally hard which I was very impressed by but I think he might need a bit of a break so I'd bring McLean back in.

Rowbottom comes back if fit and I suspect will be a straight swap for Heeney but I'd probably drop Blakey and bring in Hayward for Heeney. Blakey is trying out there but it's just not working. His kicking is meant to be his strong suit but he's very inconsistent right now. I'd give him some reserve time to find some form - get him in the guts of the midfield and tell him to run and create all day
Blakey did not work hard enough defensively in the game against Dons. He allowed opponents far too much space. Cox, when not changing in the ruck played wing on Blakey, 1 goal and 2 assists. Jones was on Blakey when Cox wasn't. One goal 2 assists. Those were scores directly off blakey. While they were streaming into the forward line Blakey was static on the wing. Not good enough. He should be made an example of so everybody knows you work both ways or you don't play.

He has huge talent. Sometimes he is a tad awkward and sometimes he is overly aggressive at the wrong time. He needs to put all the facets together in an organised way and he will be a star. I think when he wakes up and the bell in his head goes off he will be a wonderful player.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think he looks to be playing himself into form his kicking has been really bad but he hit a couple of really good ones last game.

I agree though, he was a bit lazy tracking the play for what turned into parishes goal. Still promising signs so I'd leave him in if there isn't an obvious need to get someone else in the side.
Blakey did not work hard enough defensively in the game against Dons. He allowed opponents far too much space. Cox, when not changing in the ruck played wing on Blakey, 1 goal and 2 assists. Jones was on Blakey when Cox wasn't. One goal 2 assists. Those were scores directly off blakey. While they were streaming into the forward line Blakey was static on the wing. Not good enough. He should be made an example of so everybody knows you work both ways or you don't play.

He has huge talent. Sometimes he is a tad awkward and sometimes he is overly aggressive at the wrong time. He needs to put all the facets together in an organised way and he will be a star. I think when he wakes up and the bell in his head goes off he will be a wonderful player.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

On Nokia 7.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Calls for lloyd to get dropped or shuffled around are nonsense. He's a senior leader in the back of the ground, having him there to help Campbell is important, and he has defended quite well. He's been surprisingly good in the air this season, but his one on one defending is much better than it was 4 years ago which is what most seem to be remembering. He had a goal or two kicked in him when he was pushed off and couldn't catch up to the lead but that happens. Lloyds strength as a defender is always knowing where to be to be a safe outlet from a contest. Against Essendon I thought he did very well to win it in the clinches a few times too. I'm very pleased with him and the season he is putting together.

I'm not liking the balance of our back line at the moment. We seem a little short, it's not sustainable to have Rampe continually play on a tall. I know he has done it for years, but he typically had some assistance from either Allir or Mills playing loose. Reckon we need to get some games into another tall defender, likely Melican. If either Rampe or McCartin gets injured we'll be incredibly exposed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last year we played Hayward on Haynes as a defensive fwd.
Haynes had his lowest tally of marks (only 2) for the year, his lowest disposal count (7) and just the one rebound 50.

Happy to bring in Hayward to do that role again.

Agreed.

Or we could just, y'know, lower the eyes...

Calls for lloyd to get dropped or shuffled around are nonsense. He's a senior leader in the back of the ground, having him there to help Campbell is important, and he has defended quite well. He's been surprisingly good in the air this season, but his one on one defending is much better than it was 4 years ago which is what most seem to be remembering. He had a goal or two kicked in him when he was pushed off and couldn't catch up to the lead but that happens. Lloyds strength as a defender is always knowing where to be to be a safe outlet from a contest. Against Essendon I thought he did very well to win it in the clinches a few times too. I'm very pleased with him and the season he is putting together.

He is a solid defender. Havent seen him exposed too many times over his career. But I'm not sure why they continue to use him for kick ins. His general field kicking is massively overrated by the media and he turns it over more than he should. He is very slow to dispose of the ball and gives the opposition time to get into position.

He is a solid defender. Havent seen him exposed too many times over his career. But I'm not sure why they continue to use him for kick ins. His general field kicking is massively overrated by the media and he turns it over more than he should. He is very slow to dispose of the ball and gives the opposition time to get into position.
Campbell and Dawson are the obvious as they can kick it to half way. I agree. Why does Lloyd get a lot of kick ins?

I think he looks to be playing himself into form his kicking has been really bad but he hit a couple of really good ones last game.

I agree though, he was a bit lazy tracking the play for what turned into parishes goal. Still promising signs so I'd leave him in if there isn't an obvious need to get someone else in the side.

I'd like to see him given a spell in the reserves. In a strong team you need to play your role and be selfless, he was running down the wing about 55 out on the sideline and tried a miracle goal with the kicking going out on the full, he had Buddy leading up. A Richmond player would never do that. Bring in Stephen's. We are a strong team and need to be ruthless at the selection table when required. This needs to be tempered to ensure there isnt too much change, but in this instance it is necessary.​

Lloyd is my second-favourite player after Rampe, and even I would drop him. Won't happen though so it's a conversation not even worth having.

Lloyd is my second-favourite player after Rampe, and even I would drop him. Won't happen though so it's a conversation not even worth having.
Not sure. I still think he is a valuable player, just highly overrated by many. Hear many reports in the media where lloyd is mentioned as one of our best and always wonder it they were watching the same game. 25 possessions at 80% sounded good however most of his kicks are dinky little 25m sideway kicks.

Not saying drop him. Just why does he get a lot of kick ins when he is at least 3rd on the best kickers list?
I'm assuming that between Dawson, Braeden and Lloyd, the decision is based on who is closest when the ball goes through to ensure the kick in can be taken quickly. If they are all close, Dawson would be the preferred.

Reading this thread and the calls for multiple changes, I thought I must have been dreaming our wonderful start to the season and in reality we were sitting 2-2!
We have DOMINATED every team we have played so far this year - including Essendon! If just five of those easy misses were goals it would have been a 28 point victory, we would have once again kicked over 100 and the headlines would have been totally different. We beat them in nearly every stat but most of you are carrying on like we got lucky and scraped it in.
Maybe I'm easily pleased but I don't see what all the hand wringing and calls for change (particularly after a nine day break) is coming from.

Reading this thread and the calls for multiple changes, I thought I must have been dreaming our wonderful start to the season and in reality we were sitting 2-2!
We have DOMINATED every team we have played so far this year - including Essendon! If just five of those easy misses were goals it would have been a 28 point victory, we would have once again kicked over 100 and the headlines would have been totally different. We beat them in nearly every stat but most of you are carrying on like we got lucky and scraped it in.
Maybe I'm easily pleased but I don't see what all the hand wringing and calls for change (particularly after a nine day break) is coming from.
Me either

Makes sense, think its unlikely though.

Heeney for Rowbottom only change is my guess. Hayward or Stephens emergency sub. If Hayward does come in for Heeney he is going to want to have an absolute blinder.

I am not sure Rowbottom will come straight back in now. It's been three weeks since the injury and by the time the game rolls around it will have been 4 weeks, with not much training in between by the sounds of it. I would expect him to have to get through some VFL minutes before being ready for selection. Just a guess though.

And of course Hayward has to have a blinder. We're going pretty well at the minute and he'd be last man in, first one out. That added incentive to do well might just help him though I reckon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back