Preview Sydney Swans vs GWS, Saturday April 17 @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makes sense, think its unlikely though.

Heeney for Rowbottom only change is my guess. Hayward or Stephens emergency sub. If Hayward does come in for Heeney he is going to want to have an absolute blinder.

agree on that change, no need for unnecessary changes ... "depth" doesn't need to be tested until it does ... this team is on an upward trajectory together, the more they play all together, the better this potentially outstanding side can be, they're already good ...
stephens is likely next man up but if rowbottom fit and ready, he he has to play

If we can’t beat the Giants with 2 extra days and the players they’re missing then I won’t know what to think. That would be a bad bad loss but I’m tipping a huge win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Giants certainly not known for their defensive running, and our kicking game will demand that of them if we get it going. They'll be hard around the stoppage trying to stop us getting it out to allow our new game style. If successful will be a real slugfest. If we get it going we could pull away. Could go either way I think.

Wouldn't mind Hewett spending time up forward and in the middle if Rowbottom not back. Hewett another big body option to put up against Ward (37 Disp, 8 Clearances), Hopper, (32 d, 5 c) Taranto (34 d,3 c) and Green. Mumford had 8 clearances - you'd expect him to play again with that stat as GWS won the centre clearances despite being smashed in hitouts.

Is there a need to tag Haynes atm? Has he been as prominent lately?

Reading this thread and the calls for multiple changes, I thought I must have been dreaming our wonderful start to the season and in reality we were sitting 2-2!
We have DOMINATED every team we have played so far this year - including Essendon! If just five of those easy misses were goals it would have been a 28 point victory, we would have once again kicked over 100 and the headlines would have been totally different. We beat them in nearly every stat but most of you are carrying on like we got lucky and scraped it in.
Maybe I'm easily pleased but I don't see what all the hand wringing and calls for change (particularly after a nine day break) is coming from.

indeed ...

... and having said all i've said about minimal changes, then reading the rest of this thread, i do agree there's a place in our best 22 (certainly 25 on GF day) is melican ... think he and mccartin will (sooner rather than later) make a good key back tandem ...

Skirting the edges of contests is exactly where he'll be most useful for us.
It's not every players bag to smash in and be an in and under player - particularly not with his frame, he'll break. So I think him trying to be that "bloods culture" guy is a square peg in a round hole. We want him skirting the packs and darting off, or getting the ball from the likes of Rowbottom, JPK and Parker and running away and scoring the goal.
It would be great if that actually happened.
If you aren’t getting the Ball, you need to be able to go looking for it and make something happen.

Lol. A Giants poster came up with a clever marketing idea of getting our Errol and their Flynn to promote the game. Would look amusing as well given the disparity in height between the two tyros. As he said it sure beats the "Battle of the Bridge" nonsense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Five in a row? Don't get your hopes up.

Giants were very impressive last outing away to the Pies. They will throw everything at us - their season is on the line.

Smaller ground SCG doesn't suit us. Giants mids Ward, Taranto, Hopper and Kelly will at minimum break even in the middle. Haynes will peel off, third man up and spoil us all day. Finlayson will slot everything upfront.

Rowbottom for Heeney
McLean for Logan McD

Wake up call is coming.
That’s the spirit!

Reid to spend more time down back , or someone like Fox coming into side ?

Potentially unpopular opinion but I would bring in Melican, and also throw Mills back.

I confess myself pleasantly surprised, if not convinced yet, by Mills' performance in the midfield so far this year. But to me it's a no-brainer that he plays in defence this week. I felt we were light-on in the back-line even with Rampe, but now without the great man, there will be an obvious lack of leadership and structure down back, against a forward line with the potential to be potent.

Melican comes in to take one of the talls, Mills goes back to take Rampe's place. Then if Rowbottom is fit, he comes in and instead of replacing Warner, they both play inside as main mids in Mills' absence.

Potentially unpopular opinion but I would bring in Melican, and also throw Mills back.

I confess myself pleasantly surprised, if not convinced yet, by Mills' performance in the midfield so far this year. But to me it's a no-brainer that he plays in defence this week. I felt we were light-on in the back-line even with Rampe, but now without the great man, there will be an obvious lack of leadership and structure down back, against a forward line with the potential to be potent.

Melican comes in to take one of the talls, Mills goes back to take Rampe's place. Then if Rowbottom is fit, he comes in and instead of replacing Warner, they both play inside as main mids in Mills' absence.

No thanks. Bring a defender in and leave Mills in the midfield

IMO

Heeney out - Stephens in, Blakey to the forwards. Tough on Hayward but I'd give Blakey one more week to find his mojo, he ripped GWS last year so luck of the draw is on his side.

Rampe out - has to be Mellican but we lose flexibility, not sure how we cover that... shame Fox isn't playing games at the moment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back