Preview Sydney Swans vs GWS, Saturday April 17 @ SCG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moving Mills into defence isn't falling into a heap. Moving Mills into defence, going back to our old ways and losing again is falling into a heap. One doesn't mean the other will happen but my statement about us falling into a heap wasn't purely focused around moving Mills into defence

It is an absolute waste of time. Moving Mills into the middle he’d be in the top 5 in the Brownlow right now. It’s beyond silly he’s having a breakout year and we are FINALLY seeing where he should have been playing. I hate this “oh let’s move Mills” every time a defender goes down..We have Melican, Brand (if fit), Gould...all 3 are defenders

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
It is an absolute waste of time. Moving Mills into the middle he’d be in the top 5 in the Brownlow right now. It’s beyond silly he’s having a breakout year and we are FINALLY seeing where he should have been playing. I hate this “oh let’s move Mills” every time a defender goes down..We have Melican, Brand (if fit), Gould...all 3 are defenders
I'd prefer he didn't move back but these sorts of extreme posts don't assist. It wouldn't be an "absolute waste of time".

I'd prefer he didn't move back but these sorts of extreme posts don't assist. It wouldn't be an "absolute waste of time".

Um yes it would. How does he improve as a midfielder if every time we cop an injury it’s the old “let’s move Mills”. Yes we’ve started this year well but it’s still a development year we need to develop him as a full time midfielder

I strongly disagree, we're now getting some injuries which will show us how we're actually going. Do we fall into a heap should we lose Rampe & Heeney?

Also; Mills in the middle has been a big reason for our teams success with our start. We had him in defence the last 2 years and looked awful in the middle. We're not addressing anything should we move Mills back into defence. We're also not guaranteed to win just because we move Mills back there again.
I disagree the other way, whilst development is part of the year it's not what this whole year is about now, we should now be really thinking about finals. We have had 3 years where it has been all about development this year, development is now shared with making finals after a start of 4-0.

Ralphyboy

All Australian
May 25, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
I'd rather keep mills in the mids. If we win the clearances and drive into our 50 we win, regardless of the giants forward set up. With mills in the mids we have a mid who is starting to dominate. Why push him back to a position he hasn't played since last year, then bring rowbottom in to the mids when he hasn't played in 3 weeks. It seems overly defensive. Wouldn't we at least start with the position that we are going to smash GWS from the outset.

I dunno, call me crazy but... am I the only one who would feel absolutely confident in the two young guns in Rowbottom & Warner being able to pick up the slack for Mills?

Just play Melican and be done with it. You are over complicating a simple change

So who will be the leader in our back line then?

McCartin, Cunningham is experienced enough too. Who cares about this leader rubbish. We don’t need to move Mills.

Hodge and S Mitchell did alright moving from mids to HB when needed

jpk at hb or bp then. Gotta play him somewhere outside of participating in centre bounces.

I dunno, call me crazy but... am I the only one who would feel absolutely confident in the two young guns in Rowbottom & Warner being able to pick up the slack for Mills?
Too many moving parts with those changes, it upsets the flow of the team more than it needs. Put some confidence in the backline depth, Brandt would be an ideal replacement for mine. I am a little scarred by Melican.

Too many moving parts with those changes, it upsets the flow of the team more than it needs. Put some confidence in the backline depth, Brandt would be an ideal replacement for mine. I am a little scarred by Melican.

The flow of the team will already be upset. Heeney & Rampe are huge losses; Heeney our leading goalscorer this year, Rampe the leader of our back-line. It was already looking shaky when he was there, we could legit concede 100 points without him.

Mills replacing him in the back line, and the kids replacing Mills in the midfield are the changes that I think would actually upset the flow of the team the least.

Bloods86

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 7, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Adelaide United, Everton, Socceroos
If Mills, after 1 pre season and 4 games in the mids is already smashing it, moving him back for 3-4 games (only if we need him there) is hardly the development disaster some seem to portray it as. I mean if it's about development over winning games (not that I'm saying this would be the difference), then why are we not giving Stephens a crack over JPK, Amartey over Buddy, Gould over Rampe even when he's back. I mean you can argue having these guys around helps development, but can apply the same to Mills qualities as a defensive organiser to help Melican, McCartin, Campbell develop sans Rampe.

Anyway, the guys who brought us a 4-0 start, will figure it out. It's pretty good we're arguing over how good Mills is wherever he's put.

Maybe Horse will give him the Heeney role, he'll kick 5 and we'll all implode.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back