Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
It is an absolute waste of time. Moving Mills into the middle he’d be in the top 5 in the Brownlow right now. It’s beyond silly he’s having a breakout year and we are FINALLY seeing where he should have been playing. I hate this “oh let’s move Mills” every time a defender goes down..We have Melican, Brand (if fit), Gould...all 3 are defenders

He has been good, perhaps even slightly better than I had expected, but I’m not sure I agree that he’d be top 5 in the Brownlow.

Donza

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2016
The Gong
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Black Caps the Mighty All Black
There would be nothing worse for Gould than playing him when he is not ready. Let him play proper reserves, dominate there if he is so talented and then come into our side full of confidence. At this stage, Gould is all hype based on U18s from 2019.
And a bump in 2020..

He has been good, perhaps even slightly better than I had expected, but I’m not sure I agree that he’d be top 5 in the Brownlow.

He would have AT LEAST 8-9 votes and that’s being quite conservative. Boak and Petracca would lead it but Mills wouldn’t be far behind.

There would be nothing worse for Gould than playing him when he is not ready. Let him play proper reserves, dominate there if he is so talented and then come into our side full of confidence. At this stage, Gould is all hype based on U18s from 2019.

Not saying I’d play him but I wouldn’t be against him playing

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
He would have AT LEAST 8-9 votes and that’s being quite conservative. Boak and Petracca would lead it but Mills wouldn’t be far behind.
Well he wouldn’t have gotten votes at all in the Adelaide game (max, 9).

I doubt he would have been top 2 in the Bombers game (Reid, Parker were better) and I personally doubt 1 (but max. 7).

Richmond game he is stiff but Florent, Dawson, Wicks, Papley would have all taken votes off him. I will give him 1. (Max 5)

Arguably best on ground (total 5).

Though I think it could be anywhere from 3-5.

That’s without considering the opposition.

Not a slight on Mills, he has been very good for us, I just think top 5 players in the competition in the first 4 rounds is a bit of a reach...

Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Moving Mills into the middle he’d be in the top 5 in the Brownlow right now.
Mills is equal 16th in the coaches awards.
Fair few midfielders in front of him.
leaderboard.png

He's playing well in midfield but let's keep some perspective.

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Um yes it would. How does he improve as a midfielder if every time we cop an injury it’s the old “let’s move Mills”. Yes we’ve started this year well but it’s still a development year we need to develop him as a full time midfielder

No it wouldn't. If we have a complete midfield, and Horse believes that Mills is the man to stop Toby Greene and Mills does and as a consequence we bank 4 more points and go 5-0 it is not a waste of time.

Now, of course, were our purpose to secure the Brownlow Medal for Callum Mills in 2021, then I agree with you. Shifting him to the backline for a match would be counterproductive to that aim.

But I hope that is not our purpose and I don't believe it is.

mikey_san

Cancelled
Mar 17, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Can see arguments for moving Mills back, and also not. Slightly lean toward doing so tbh and have Hewett playing mid/forward along with Rowbottom/Parker.
Even if he starts in mids, if we are getting touched up, or cop an injury then It will surely be an option for Horse.
I think it most likely Hewett goes to Greene early though. Wouldn't put it past him to win the battle either.

Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
So not necessarily ways off?
I think as supporters we need to trust our club bringing in young players and developing them. Gould was highly rated. Everyone on here expected him to play early. Doubts arise when he doesn't.
We have other young players that have not had much game time.
We have a fantastic team, young, dynamic, unpredictable and very decisive. We also have veteran players guiding younger players coming in.
Predicting, or saying a player will not make it based on no games is dumb. Sydney develops players better then most. We have a player in our defence that will be a 10 year+ player. He was pick 50 and is now irreplaceable in our team. He spent 3 years developing.
Calls for other players to be doubted or dropped. I find it ...well I have no words.
The Swans have given me so much joy over the last 20 years.
The negativity of getting rid of the coach, players will leave because they do not get games. So negative.
I implore everyone on this site to listen to the Gary Player podcast about 18mins. On SEN. This is a man that will make you laugh and cry at the same time.
He knows what life is all about.
About what is REALLY important.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Really like the GWS away guernsey - am sick and tired of the clash when we play each other.
I'm surprised that more teams don't take the marketing opportunities presented for clash jumpers.
GWS has a small supporter base but Puma and the club still thought it worthwhile to release a clash guernsey and it it seems it has been well received by the supporters.

That's why I could never understand a supposedly astute business man in McGuire not seeking alternative clash jumpers for Collingwood.
Instead of taking the opportunity to bolster their bottom line it was all about taking the low road and the Magpies don't change their jumper for anyone (well unless it's white stripes on a black background instead of black stripes on a white background or whatever).

Tradition is fine, still retain your home guernsey, but there is no reason a clash jumper couldn't incorporate, in the case of Collingwood, a black/white element.
More dollars from kit suppliers, more dollars from fans, but El Presidente more interested in thumbs up from the toothless masses who believed his every word.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back