Preview Sydney Swans vs Melbourne Demons, Saturday May 8 @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well when you've crafted an online identity about being smarter than everyone else by predicting buddy's demise you need a narrative to protect your sense of self.
Can I just say that I'm quite happy for our players to continue kicking to the greatest forward of his generation who kicked 5.0 in his last start?

Sure, burning an unmarked man in front to try to hit Buddy covered 2 on 1 in the pocket isn't a wise decision but despite the narrative, I haven't seen a whole lot of that at all. If anything I've been seeing Buddy burned more often than not this year.

On Nokia 7.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

On the note of tackles inside 50, repeat 50s, we are the third best team marking inside 50 and that high efficiency will lead to less tackles inside 50s and inside 50s in general.

We are not creating a Richmond turnover in the forward 50 repeat entries team. We are creating a team that causes turnovers at any point in the ground and scoring with efficiency.

We aren't there yet, but don't think all stat's will remain at the same importance in the coming years.

On the note of tackles inside 50, repeat 50s, we are the third best team marking inside 50 and that high efficiency will lead to less tackles inside 50s and inside 50s in general.

We are not creating a Richmond turnover in the forward 50 repeat entries team. We are creating a team that causes turnovers at any point in the ground and scoring with efficiency.

We aren't there yet, but don't think all stat's will remain at the same importance in the coming years.
Lies, damn lies and statistics.

On your first point, I agree there is a degree of correlation however for example ;
Melbourne I50s 1st, marks I50 6th (ave 1 mark less per game compared to us), tackles I50 1st
Bulldogs I50s 5th, marks I50 1st, tackles 3rd
(Sydney I50s 7th, marks I50 3rd, tackles 16th)

My point is that yes we have a relatively good mark/I50 ratio, but we average 55 I50s and take an average of 14 marks I50, meaning there is plenty of times when the ball is in dispute or in the opposition's possession and I don't think we are applying sufficient pressure/tackles when we don't take the mark.

Last edited:
Goodwin just said T Mac will stay forward. Petty will most likely come in for Tomlinson. No Weideman. Happy with that.

On your first point, I agree there is a degree of correlation however for example ;
Melbourne I50s 1st, marks I50 6th (ave 1 mark less per game compared to us), tackles I50 1st
Bulldogs I50s 5th, marks I50 1st, tackles 3rd
(Sydney I50s 7th, marks I50 3rd, tackles 16th)

My point is that yes we have a relatively good mark/I50 ratio, but we average 55 I50s and take an average of 14 marks I50, meaning there is plenty of times when the ball is in dispute or in the opposition's possession and I don't think we are applying sufficient pressure/tackles when we don't take the mark.
stats dont work in isolation.. maybe they simply dont work??
A lack of i50 tackles may be caused by extra effort in other aspects of attack and defence. Dont know where or how, but the most important stat says we're 4th on the ladder

stats dont work in isolation.. maybe they simply dont work??
A lack of i50 tackles may be caused by extra effort in other aspects of attack and defence. Dont know where or how, but the most important stat says we're 4th on the ladder
I'd argue that stats,even in isolation, can help identify strengths/weaknesses, even patterns of play.

And I'll try not to bang on about it, but Melbourne top of the ladder lead the I50 tackle count.
At the end of the H&A season the ladder leaders have over the previous 5 seasons finished 1st, 2nd, 4th, 3rd and 4th in the I50 tackle count.

Clearly not the sole factor but I'd definitely prefer us to be doing better than a 16th place ranking at present.

I'd argue that stats,even in isolation, can help identify strengths/weaknesses, even patterns of play.

And I'll try not to bang on about it, but Melbourne top of the ladder lead the I50 tackle count.
At the end of the H&A season the ladder leaders have over the previous 5 seasons finished 1st, 2nd, 4th, 3rd and 4th in the I50 tackle count.

Clearly not the sole factor but I'd definitely prefer us to be doing better than a 16th place ranking at present.

The stats are definitely a factor. However the selectors have gone with a tall forward setup this year which inevitably has a cost in ground ball stats such as tackles inside 50.

That’s a cost of easier, better quality ball in the midfield and consequently more marks inside 50.

Wicks and Gulden do appear to be setting up to block exits through the corridor which again reduces the tackles but forces the exits out wide.

All of those things combined can result in a seemingly poor statistic but a better all round result.

I’ll try to focus on this on Saturday night but that’s what my TV viewing has shown.

Our goal seems to be to close the space down and corral rather than tackle. Force a turnover rather than force a stoppage.

A stoppage allows a team to setup, a turnover can see the opposition out of position with swift ball movement.

Just my thoughts, could be wrong!

Our goal seems to be to close the space down and corral rather than tackle. Force a turnover rather than force a stoppage.

A stoppage allows a team to setup, a turnover can see the opposition out of position with swift ball movement.

I agree.
Fwd half tackles can also be a result of a high number of stoppages in fwd 50.

The stats are definitely a factor. However the selectors have gone with a tall forward setup this year which inevitably has a cost in ground ball stats such as tackles inside 50.

That’s a cost of easier, better quality ball in the midfield and consequently more marks inside 50.

Wicks and Gulden do appear to be setting up to block exits through the corridor which again reduces the tackles but forces the exits out wide.

All of those things combined can result in a seemingly poor statistic but a better all round result.
Bruce you of all people. You've crossed to the dark side.
You, the steadfast defender of Rohan, Towers and even Bell, the ultimate forward pressure advocate, you've abandoned them.
Shame, shame. ;)

I agree with both of you the emphasis has changed, but I'm still not convinced that the pressure is what it should be I50 and I'm also not convinced that pressuring the ball at the source I50 is not a better option.
I did say I'd stop banging on about it, so I shall now officially stay stumm, at least until our newly found magnificent I50 tackling & pressure leads to a stunning victory over Melbourne.

Bruce you of all people. You've crossed to the dark side.
You, the steadfast defender of Rohan, Towers and even Bell, the ultimate forward pressure advocate, you've abandoned them.
Shame, shame. ;)

I agree with both of you the emphasis has changed, but I'm still not convinced that the pressure is what it should be I50 and I'm also not convinced that pressuring the ball at the source I50 is not a better option.
I did say I'd stop banging on about it, so I shall now officially stay stumm, at least until our newly found magnificent I50 tackling & pressure leads to a stunning victory over Melbourne.

I definitely agree it can be improved markedly, particularly inside forward 50

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Forcing stoppages isn’t a bad tactic when you have the world’s (and indeed history’s) greatest ruckman taking the ball out of the ruck and snapping sausage rolls on a regular basis.

Alas, as we saw in the dying minutes of the GWS game - stoppages lose their appeal when aforementioned ruckman is off the park.

Don't think you're wrong. My impression is that tackle stats are down all over, not just us.

We are coming down the day before the game now and may end up staying in Melbourne. Not exactly the way we would want to avoid playing at the SCG.

This is why

Capture.PNG

Hopefully, none of our players had lunch in the Entertainment Quarter on Monday......

Would also explain the sudden change of tomorrow's training from 9am to 2pm.

This is why

View attachment 1119424

Hopefully, none of our players had lunch in the Entertainment Quarter on Monday......

Would also explain the sudden change of tomorrow's training from 9am to 2pm.
Why is it that every *er that ends up with COVID seems to have travelled to every place known to man while infectious? I wish I had the social life that all these people seem to.

Why is it that every f***er that ends up with COVID seems to have travelled to every place known to man while infectious? I wish I had the social life that all these people seem to.

Travel causes it to spread further...

So trying to redeem my Vic Gold Premiership ticket for Saturday and there is no allocation left??? Why have I bought this membership again after donating last years to the club, now this year I cant even redeem a ticket to the fckn MCG, there will be heaps of empty seats yet I am forced to pay an upgrade to go for something I had already paid for. They can blame Covid all they like but it is just BS.

Am I missing something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back