Preview Sydney Swans vs Melbourne Demons, Saturday May 8 @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still a forearm to the head no matter what happened in the split seconds beforehand.

He won't get off but these new challenge rules are silly, it's only a 10k penalty for challenging...and they wonder why every bloke challenges in finals...

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
Cunningham has a massive task this week to keep the immensely talented Pickett quiet. I'll back him but Pickett is in a rare vein of form right now.

With Adam Tomlinson hurt, I hope they send McDonald back and bring Weideman in to play forward with Brown. That would mean a lot of positional change for them after having a stable, in-form side for the first 7 weeks. And if Fritsch's suspension is upheld, all the better.

We've played Melbourne very well over the last few years, so I think we're in with a huge shot, particularly if Rampe and Bud are right to play. .

Hand should be coming good.
Ankle is always sore..
He indicated to the med crew he got hit in the Sternum. So hopefully not ribs.

He'sone that will benefit from the mid season break and just having a rest

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
This is a great situation for mcdonald. Deserves a spot this week but unfortunately mcleans forms means it’s unlikely he will get picked and will have to bide his time. This will teach him the importance of holding your spot as there are no guarantees no matter how talented he is. When he does come back he will have a fire underneath him

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Cunningham has a massive task this week to keep the immensely talented Pickett quiet. I'll back him but Pickett is in a rare vein of form right now.

With Adam Tomlinson hurt, I hope they send McDonald back and bring Weideman in to play forward with Brown. That would mean a lot of positional change for them after having a stable, in-form side for the first 7 weeks. And if Fritsch's suspension is upheld, all the better.

We've played Melbourne very well over the last few years, so I think we're in with a huge shot, particularly if Rampe and Bud are right to play. .
Cunningham is probably best set for the job on Pickett. Maybe its just me but aside from his delivery into forward 50 to set up Papley's goal I didn't think he had a great game. He'll have to be at his best on the weekend.

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
Judging by the ticket sales... looks like this will be the match of the round... People will be coming to see this. Sydney vs Melbourne... Just by those 2 names alone I'm not surprised tickets selling out quickly.
Should be a cracker game with both playing dynamic footy. Win, lose or draw it should be a beauty.

Joycerama

Team Captain
Jul 29, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
That's what I think too.
If he replaces anyone, it should be a smaller player rather than a marking forward. Then again perhaps Sinclair but no way McLean makes way because he is the best overhead mark we have in the squad ATM. He clunked each one & kicked goals from them all, Reid would have marked 1 &/or missed 2.
If we take a small out for Buddy that ball will come bouncing out of half back so often that we will be down eight goals by half time.

You mean uncle H in bed with his Micky O t-shirt on? Personally, I can't get that image out of my mind fast enough.

Disturbing and rather mean.

Have given my ticket away . Icant go nowadays. Hoping my very loud barracker voice travels 20 clicks from a Bayside burb to the game.

Carn the Bloods.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
They don't want McLean in the ruck otherwise McDonald for Sinclair is the 2nd easiest choice
Yes McLean is proving to be a pure forward. He does all the right things. Gets to position, takes huge pack grabs. Unlike Sam Reid, who's marks are generally with either a run up or from the side, his vertical. Leap is sensational

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
This is a great situation for mcdonald. Deserves a spot this week but unfortunately mcleans forms means it’s unlikely he will get picked and will have to bide his time. This will teach him the importance of holding your spot as there are no guarantees no matter how talented he is. When he does come back he will have a fire underneath him

I would love to see Buddy, McDonald and McLean all playing as we had 3 talls playing at the start of the year and I think the three of them could stretch Melbourne's defence as May and Lever like to run off players. Not so easy to run off 3 genuinely tall players who can all kick goals and who any of them could be a target going forward.

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
I would love to see Buddy, McDonald and McLean all playing as we had 3 talls playing at the start of the year and I think the three of them could stretch Melbourne's defence as May and Lever like to run off players. Not so easy to run off 3 genuinely tall players who can all kick goals and who any of them could be a target going forward.
Agree how good it would be, but will we risk Buddy and use McLean against Gawn?
My feeling is "no" to both.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
If we take a small out for Buddy that ball will come bouncing out of half back so often that we will be down eight goals by half time.
Exactly!
Buddy changes the way we play. We need the small to run hard both ways all day. We need the overhead contested marking big forward, McLean for example.

Buddy is neither of those. Buddy is the magician who perhaps once a game gets a goal from nowhere, but who also attracts 7 out of every 10 forward entries, which can be defended easier & in turn, rebounded quicker. So unless a 34 YO Buddy comes up with at least 5 or 6 goals, it's difficult for us to win if other forwards/midfielders can't contribute on the scoreboard due to Buddy being a dominant presence up forward.

If he is fit enough to play up the ground & at times be the one passing to other forwards, he will go a long way to helping us dominate the scoring as a team & in turn could also get two or three of his own goals along the way because he is impossible to stop running towards goal from outside 50.

Buddy Franklin sitting deep forward is not what we want. We will just lose without him performing miracles, which he can no doubt do but it won't take us far.

Team scoring with a spread of goal kickers makes me happy with Buddy in the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back