Preview Sydney Swans vs Port Adelaide Power, Rd 15, Saturday June 26 @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
what a mess this is. scomo really needs to get his hands dirty for once and make a blanket border rule for all states. this is getting beyond a joke now.

anyone from melbourne can now travel to new zealand, without quarantining. no problem. but you're not allowed to go to adelaide oval. what a disaster.

what a mess this is. scomo really needs to get his hands dirty for once and make a blanket border rule for all states. this is getting beyond a joke now.

anyone from melbourne can now travel to new zealand, without quarantining. no problem. but you're not allowed to go to adelaide oval. what a disaster.

I don't think you understand how the States work..

It looks like Gulden is ready to come back. He replaces Wicks. Brand needs to come in. Harry was injured and I think Bell could replace him as a running back. He did that role in the reserves and played really well.

Forget Taylor, Grey, Clarke as Medical Sub, they are just not up to the standard. Try one of the new guys, Gould, Sheather etc. Even McLean. He kicked 4 last time out in the reserves.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

It looks like Gulden is ready to come back. He replaces Wicks. Brand needs to come in. Harry was injured and I think Bell could replace him as a running back. He did that role in the reserves and played really well.

Forget Taylor, Grey, Clarke as Medical Sub, they are just not up to the standard. Try one of the new guys, Gould, Sheather etc. Even McLean. He kicked 4 last time out in the reserves.

If Buddy, McD & Armatey are all in, I can’t see any justification for picking McL.

If Harry is out, I think they have to go with CoR. Bell has no back 6 credentials.

This 55,000 members number is for a $5 pokie membership, not a football club membership.

The Gold Coast Suns 13,000 Football Club members raise more from memberships sales than Southport do.

I am sure there are full members in there too. I bet of those 55,000 about 30,000 would become full members. The fact is Sun's are costing the AFL a motza every year. Southport is a hugely financial club, would have guaranteed sponsorship, have a membership base. Suns have none of that. They can't even guarantee their major sponsor for more than 5 years.

Not only that add to the fact the Sun's got only 7,000 to their last home game. You say Sun's 13,000 raise more than 55,000 pokies members. Who are you kidding. The turnover of Southport Sharks Club is $43 million with a $1.7 million profit last year. How many Aussie Rules clubs make that sort of profit? Total revenue from memberships at Suns, if all took out 9 game memberships, and none were pensioners which is doubtful, at the highest rate of $540/year is $7,020,000. That does not take into account Corporate Boxes and other corporate packages. But it does work off the highest membership rate which is highly overinflated.

I am not going to factor in AFL TV Rights money because this goes to all clubs and if Sharks were in the club then they would receive it too. But the reality is the Sun's cannot sustain this for much longer or the other clubs will be propping them up forever. They are crap on the field and have just become a training club for the Victorian clubs. Once a player is blooded they go to other clubs, generally in Victoria. Unless there is a huge shift in attitude up there they will remain so until they fold.

They get player concessions, a bigger salary cap, more players, they had bonus picks two years running after being given the pick of the choice talent when they started. Have a look at the difference between Sun's and GWS. GWS is well run, they have had some minor success, have won a full NEAFL Premiership, we didn't do that. Are hungry as a club to not only be competitive but to be good. They have over 35,000 members now compared to 13,000.they have long term corporate sponsorship. They are a well run, well structured club.

Anyway I thought this was the game thread.

Gulden & Brand to come in.

Wicks & Harry (injured I think????) out.

Hasn't been mentioned in the media but...

Anyone who has been in the Waverley Council area, New South Wales, in the 14 days prior (but not before 11 June 2021) is not permitted to enter South Australia.
That will be very interesting. Most of our players live in that council area

Haven't been on here much since the Hawks/GC Reserves loss combo - needed the bye myself.

Being an SA local, got my ticket for first game in 2 years. Hoping for a better result than the flogging we got vs Port in the wet in 2019.

Port's game on the weekend went to script, comfortable win vs ordinary oppo (who have beaten us mind you), but outscored late - a constant frustration of a Port friend of mine. If we come out firing who knows what can happen if they're a bit off. Went to quite a few Port games in the few years up to 2019, they're susceptible to off days and taking the foot off the pedal, though have certainly improved against weaker teams in the last 2 seasons.

Simply have to lower our eyes going into F50, bombing it in will ruin us against Port more than most. Having said that, if we put the pressure on, they do exactly that as well, so might be a big game for the likes of Dawson or anyone playing an intercept role. Whoever is on Aliir, take him to the square or run him up the ground so he's not drifting in our F50 when we enter.

Some rain on Sat is possible (pretty early to tell though), so Brand in to combat Dixon, while generally a decent idea, might make us a bit too tall. Otherwise it'd be McCartin on Dixon, Rampe on Rozee and Fox on Georgiades for me. Cunningham to relieve on Rozee whenever they've got the resting ruck down there.
You forgot Marshall. We need Brand to play otherwise we are far too short down back. Last week they had Dixon, Georgiades, Laddams. This week it will be Dixon, Georgiades, Marshall. Fox can't take the ruck talks, nor can Rampe. If Brand doesn't come in the lineup looks a bit like this:

McCartin on Dixon
Rampe on Georgiades
Fox on Marshall

We sure as hell do not want that to happen.

That would leave, assuming Harry is injured O'Riordan to play on Rosie. That is not good. Alternatively it would mean Dawson plays on Georgiades, Rampe gets Dixon, McCartin gets Marshall. All of those scenarios are horrible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why’s everyone saying Cunningham out? Hasn’t even been mentioned on the injury report.
Drop Bell, play Blakey on a wing, Taylor replaces Wicks, Errol has another week and goes through the VFL.
Or Brand in, George moving up the ground with Parker/George playing a bit more forward.

Why’s everyone saying Cunningham out? Hasn’t even been mentioned on the injury report.
Drop Bell, play Blakey on a wing, Taylor replaces Wicks, Errol has another week and goes through the VFL.
Or Brand in, George moving up the ground with Parker/George playing a bit more forward.

Way too many changes...we lost 1 game where the whole side was cooked. Lets not change half the team when the side was doing well. We don't need to be bringing Taylor in unless it's critical which it isn't. Hewett won't be moving up the ground either.

Huzzah. Would have been pretty annoyed if this game had been moved out of SA, after missing out last year as well.

Edit: Yes, on purely health grounds, this is a risk and it's interesting footy gets allowances when others don't. I'm just glad I'll get to see my team for once, though would have been fine with delaying this fixture til later on (as opposed to not having the Swans in Adelaide at all this year).

Last edited:
Huzzah. Would have been pretty annoyed if this game had been moved out of SA, after missing out last year as well.

******* idiotic given where the players live and the infection rate for this strain.

******* idiotic given where the players live and the infection rate for this strain.
There's certainly an argument to be made about why is footy different than regular travel, but they'd all have to stick to themselves and return negative test results before playing. From what I understand, Port would have to go through some form of quarantine after the game and get tested as well.

There's certainly an argument to be made about why is footy different than regular travel, but they'd all have to stick to themselves and return negative test results before playing. From what I understand, Port would have to go through some form of quarantine after the game and get tested as well.

This strain means that the old definition of close contact is no longer valid and it can be transmitted on the footy field. If it got into the Port players and then out into the SA community, or even from a player to someone in the stand or whatever, it's such a huge risk.

This strain means that the old definition of close contact is no longer valid and it can be transmitted on the footy field. If it got into the Port players and then out into the SA community, or even from a player to someone in the stand or whatever, it's such a huge risk.
Yeah, really the game should be called off if purely on health reasoning (but footy is more important than other travel it seems), rather than moved elsewhere. If the game was in Vic for example, I don't know if the Port players would be subject to the same restrictions post-game that they will be this weekend.

At least I won't have to worry about ducking if a ball comes my way, since I'm up on the top tier in a pocket/half forward (not sure there'll be any such shanks).

The reason is simple. The club & players are subject to extremely strict levels of testing, isolation, quarantine, required behaviours etc. that the public, medi-hotel staff or even front line health care workers aren't even required to maintain/commit to. I have very close family & friends in roles that have faced COVID positive patients/situations/enviroments as part of their jobs & they are not required to adhere to as strict protocols. Hopefully all players & staff treat their position of entitlement appropriately & respect the chance & advantages they have been given. I hope they all strictly adhere to the limits placed on them to ensure the risks are mitigated to an acceptable level. It really does rely on everyone (crowd included) to do the right thing & try to stay safe.

Way too many changes...we lost 1 game where the whole side was cooked. Lets not change half the team when the side was doing well. We don't need to be bringing Taylor in unless it's critical which it isn't. Hewett won't be moving up the ground either.
1-2 changes is too many? Given Taylor was the sub it is effectively 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back