Preview Sydney Swans vs Port Adelaide Power, Rd 15, Saturday June 26 @ Adelaide Oval

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2011
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMU Mustangs, Matildas
Alright. I've had a couple of days to throw my tantrum and step away from the game to cool off.

The Hawks game was a crapfest, and it's easy to go into an away game against Port with trepidation. But hell, I think we could all use a shot of positivity. So here goes.

Ten reasons we can/will beat Power in two weeks...

1. Let's face it. We had a loss coming.

The games against the Blues and Saints were just a dress rehearsal for the tragedy that was the Hawks games. And if you leverage them, losses are the best learning tools you have.

So look out Port. You'll meet a team that has reset, refocussed and ready for the challenge.

2. Our record against Top 8 teams is very good.

We beat the Cats and flogged Brisbane and Richmond. In fact, our only top 8 loss was to ladder leading Melbourne at the MCG. And even then it was a nail biter!

We won't fear a 5th place Port team who just got a touch up at home from Geelong.

3. We'll be boosted by some big ins.

The Swans really missed some spark out of the centre against Hawthorn. Chad Warner will be ready and rejuvenated - just what we need for a trip to Adelaide Oval.

Errol Gulden should be back in contention. Will Hayward could not have picked a better game to get concussed in - he'll rest out the bye and be good to go. And it wouldn't surprise me if an early return surprise was on the cards for Sam Reid or Braedan Campbell.

Either way, our stocks will be boosted in coming games.

4. We play to our opposition's level.

This is kind of good news and bad. It's bad that we save our crappiest performances for teams like Hawthorn and the Suns, But it was only 2 months ago that we played our best footy in years against the premiers. Port may be licking their lips after seeing our Hawks match, but they'll be playing a different team in Adelaide.

5. We needed a rest.

Listless. Lethargic. Disinterested. The boys were clearly focussed on the bye in our previous game. They were exhausted after two consecutive 6 day breaks. Thanks a bunch AFL House!

A week's break is just what the doctor ordered, especially for players carrying niggles like Hickey, Heeney and probably Bud.

The Hawks showed what a well rested team can do. We'll be a different outfit after the bye.

6. We like Adelaide Oval (don't we?)

We've won our last three against the Crows in Adelaide. And while our record against Port is admittedly ordinary, it's far from a fortress for the home team. (see point 7) And it's definitely a venue that suits the expansive game we've played at times this year.

If we go back to the strategies of the early rounds, we could really have a day out.

7. Port aren't the powerhouse some expected them to be.

Many punters had Port among the premiership contenders at the start of the season. However, recently they've proven quite fallible.

In the past five rounds alone, Port lost home games to Geelong and the Bulldogs. And when they came up against an awful Collingwood outfit at the MCG, they were fortunate to get home by a solitary point.

Not what you'd call a stellar record.

8. We're flying under the radar

While it's never nice to lose, it does have one benefit - it reminds the competition of the long-held (and incorrect) view that the swans are no good.

Remember the experts who said we'd finish bottom four this year? Not many of them picked us to be 8-5 at the bye.

Many big name teams have taken us for granted in 2021. And many have paid the price. This games is perfectly set up for an upset.

9. "All we need is change to improve."

My favorite song lyric from a guy named Stephen Malkmus.

FMD our coaching staff can be stupid. The Hawks played 2 rucks and a tall forward line and we relied on a bunch of medium talls in defense. Everyone on Bigfooty knew it. Horse didn't.

Time to swallow his pride and make the change. Horse must know that Brand will make a big difference to the team. The coaches will make this one change against a large and imposing Port forward line.

10. Every time I've written us off we've won.

Given the choice I'd have thrown big money on Brisbane in the opening round. I'd have dropped my mortgage on the Tigers. I'd have blown my dough against Geelong too.

If the Swans have taught us anything this year it's that the experts know nothing.

That we should expect the unexpected.

And that being the hot favorite buts a big red and white target on your chest.

Over to you red birds.

Swans by 21.

wills2g

Premiership Player
Jun 15, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
We win if McCartin keeps Dixon as quiet as last year. But not looking likely this year.

We drop this one, PA are very good at home

wills2g

Premiership Player
Jun 15, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Warner in for taylor
Parker goes fwd for hayward
Gulden in for wicks
Brand in for hewett and give fox hewetts opponent
Blakey or stephens to take parkers midfield spot

fk me the current mids of mills, jpk, prker and rowy are diabolical if they dont get first use from hickey. And even then, hickey gets most clearances sometimes smh. None of em chase

Warner in for taylor
Parker goes fwd for hayward
Gulden in for wicks
Brand in for hewett and give fox hewetts opponent
Blakey or stephens to take parkers midfield spot

fk me the current mids of mills, jpk, prker and rowy are diabolical if they dont get first use from hickey. And even then, hickey gets most clearances sometimes smh. None of em chase
They will get burnt on the Adelaide oval

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I really dont know what Swans will turn up LOL and no its not about 1-2 ins to be competitive against Port requires a whole team effort.

We may get flogged as Port can score very quickly and our backline against Dixon, Gray, Rozee, Georgiades looks really bad on paper.

Deccas

Club Legend
Jun 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
I really dont know what Swans will turn up LOL and no its not about 1-2 ins to be competitive against Port requires a whole team effort.

We may get flogged as Port can score very quickly and our backline against Dixon, Gray, Rozee, Georgiades looks really bad on paper.
I think we may h up well given they only have one really good tall, and otherwise rely on good mediums. If mccartin goes to Dixon, the rampe Cunningham etc should cover the rest of the fleet quite well

On Nokia 7.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
We will put a better performance in for sure
We will drop the next 3 though IMO

Gulden comes in for wicks and Warner walks in

Brand is needed but geez the KD are bare at the club
I think we'll go close but expect a 3 goal loss at the end of the night.

The KD gap has been driving me spare for months. My issue is I'm not even sure who we can realistically pick up on the offseason that offers the level of skills we need that will take this team to the next level.
/rant

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
I don't think Parker is bad, but he's a better forward than mid. I'm not even saying to take him out of mids 100% of the time. We should be running more players through the mids, and when we do we can put Parker in the forward line knowing that he'll bring hell to the defenders down there. He definitely has a place in the mids, but I think a bigger issue in our mids is how we use it rather than getting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back