Preview Sydney Swans vs Port Adelaide Power, Rd 15, Saturday June 26 @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Appreciate the research and it makes a good read but the most interesting thing in the post is you think the rebuild began in 2019 ???

Basically. First year out of the finals since 2009. You could argue 2018 I guess but I think the side was still trying its hardest to win finals that year. We finished one win away from the top 4 but overall we just weren't good enough.

Idk that Hawthorn performance was so bad like didnt expect it at all

I mean for me it was better than the Gold Coast performance. Any performance where you let Gold Coast Suns kick a score of 100 against you is the worst a team can possibly be.

No way that Hawthorn team is worse than GCS.

We were 6 points down at QT against Hawthorn, and 24 points down at both HT and 3QT. We then faded late in the game as the fitter team coming off the bye ran away with it (Shocker!)

Against Gold Coast we were 49 points down at 3QT and it was only through 4 junk-time goals that we made it even respectable. Made worse by the fact we had the sixth-highest hit-out differential in AFL/VFL history that day.

Hawthorn added junk-time goals against us to make it look more like a shellacking. We added junk-time goals against Gold Coast to spare us from it looking like a shellacking.

We were 6 points down at QT against Hawthorn, and 24 points down at both HT and 3QT. We then faded late in the game as the fitter team coming off the bye ran away with it (Shocker!)

Against Gold Coast we were 49 points down at 3QT and it was only through 4 junk-time goals that we made it even respectable. Made worse by the fact we had the sixth-highest hit-out differential in AFL/VFL history that day.

Hawthorn added junk-time goals against us to make it look more like a shellacking. We added junk-time goals against Gold Coast to spare us from it looking like a shellacking.
Its neck and neck for mine, both shocking performances and we never looked likely in either game.

Its neck and neck for mine, both shocking performances and we never looked likely in either game.

Yeah now that I think about it what a ******* waste of time it is to be discussing which s**t loss was worse. We should be discussing our best win. I'll go first: 29 September 2012

Worst losses in recent memory:

1. Freo 2020
2. Hawthorn 2021
3. Daylight

Gold Coast are a talented young side.
Hawthorn are not.

1. Freo 2020
2. Hawthorn 2021
3. Daylight

Hawthorn are not.

We came off two poor performances against Carlton & Saints for wins & two 6 day breaks to play a refreshed & under the pump Hawthorn who had a 13 day break.
We got zero from Papley, Buddy, Heeney, Fox, Cunningham (hurt), McCartin, McDonald, Wicks, Hewitt.
They can only improve on that if fit & available, though Fox out for Brand is an improvement in height & ability to defend.
I always thought we took Brand, despite his short comings, to play a Lauchie Henderson at Geelong type role. Yet we don't trust him.
Get him in & play him on the tall forward every week which frees up Rampe ( a deteriorating Rampe) to play on a smaller forward allowing him to give us some creativity down back. It's irrelevant who our opposition is, whether top 4 or bottom 4, as last week showed us so we just need the right player to play in their best postion & Brand has been & always will be a defender. Time to show faith in the right player for the right role because we aren't winning any game against a low quality forward line any time soon with McCartin & Rampe being asked to play on the big bloke like Dickson this week. If he kicks 4 or 5 on Brand
then so be it. That is expected but what we didn't expect last week was a third rate forward line outplaying what 'defenders' we did have out there.

Fox out & Brand in.
Wicks out & next in line in.
Buddy up the ground on the wing-flank or out & Heeney becomes the main focal point.
Heeney a far better overhead mark than Buddy. Buddy deep forward is one too many talls who can't mark like Sinkers. Amartey can mark overhead & ruck.
Buddy needs to be fit enough to roam dangerously up the ground & kicking to other targets. In turn he will kick more goals himself as he can be too hard to stop up the ground. But he's not fit enough as a 34 YO anymore to do thjis, his best role.

Never forget we beat Geelong, Brisbane & Richmond with no Buddy in the team. We lost to the 17th team with a "D" grade defence with Buddy in the team standing deep forward after the first Q.

1. Freo 2020
2. Hawthorn 2021
3. Daylight

Hawthorn are not.

I know most of us root for them to do well, they're a Northern club like us, plus Dew.

But they are the most overrated team in the comp. They're a rabble and they're going nowhere fast IMO

Let’s see how he goes against him in his current form. McCartin is not even sure he should be out there he is that shaky.
The last time we played them Charlie was having a form slump. McCartin did well. This year he has not been good on the monsters. The new interpretations of the rules allow the monsters to ragdoll, scrap, and push off with impunity. I think Brand would be the better match up here with McCartin on Georgiades. Rampe on Rosie.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We came off two poor performances against Carlton & Saints for wins & two 6 day breaks to play a refreshed & under the pump Hawthorn who had a 13 day break.
We got zero from Papley, Buddy, Heeney, Fox, Cunningham (hurt), McCartin, McDonald, Wicks, Hewitt.
They can only improve on that if fit & available, though Fox out for Brand is an improvement in height & ability to defend.
I always thought we took Brand, despite his short comings, to play a Lauchie Henderson at Geelong type role. Yet we don't trust him.
Get him in & play him on the tall forward every week which frees up Rampe ( a deteriorating Rampe) to play on a smaller forward allowing him to give us some creativity down back. It's irrelevant who our opposition is, whether top 4 or bottom 4, as last week showed us so we just need the right player to play in their best postion & Brand has been & always will be a defender. Time to show faith in the right player for the right role because we aren't winning any game against a low quality forward line any time soon with McCartin & Rampe being asked to play on the big bloke like Dickson this week. If he kicks 4 or 5 on Brand
then so be it. That is expected but what we didn't expect last week was a third rate forward line outplaying what 'defenders' we did have out there.

Fox out & Brand in.
Buddy up the ground on the wing-flank or out & Heeney becomes the main focal point.
Heeney a far better overhead mark than Buddy. Buddy deep forward is one too many talls who can't mark like Sinkers. Amartey can mark overhead & ruck.
Buddy needs to be fit enough to roam dangerously up the ground & kicking to other targets. In turn he will kick more goals himself as he can be too hard to stop up the ground. But he's not fit enough as a 34 YO anymore to do thjis, his best role.

Never forget we beat Geelong, Brisbane & Richmond with no Buddy in the team. We lost to the 17th team with a "D" grade defence with Buddy in the team standing deep forward after the first Q.
We get it ted, you think we are a worse side with the best forward of the modern era, and our highest goalscorer, out of the team.

On Nokia 7.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I know most of us root for them to do well, they're a Northern club like us, plus Dew.

But they are the most overrated team in the comp. They're a rabble and they're going nowhere fast IMO
Should never have been given an AFL franchise. Absolute bullshit. Southport should be the second Qld team. Suns have 16,000 members and can't even get that to games. They are not even in the Eight. Are badly run and have a troubling President who seems to have very strong opinions about everything but can't seem to run his own club. Maybe they should give Tassie his franchise.

Compare that to Southport. They have 55,000 members. Are top of the VFL ladder. Have full stadiums when they play at home and do well elsewhere. They are the best run non AFL first grade club in Australia. In fact I'd say most AFL clubs are not run so well. They are very financial and have their own licensed Club, Southport Sharks. When the AFL decided they wanted a second club in Qld Southport put up their hand. But the AFL in their wisdom ignored them. The fact they were established, could provide sponsorship to more than match any AFL club made no difference. The fact they are the best run club and have a continual income flow from their club made no difference. The fact they have a very good record of getting top coaches who consistently win premierships made no difference. The fact they had 55,000 members made no difference. The AFL pushed the Sun's onto the Gold Coast and NOBODY there wants them. Their main support, as pitiful as it is, comes from over the border at Byron etc. Not from the Gold Coast.

We were beaten by this mob who are a rabble from board level down. A failed McLachlan experiment. We were absolutely ironed out by Hawks who are piss weak. Our players are not doing something that the coaches would be horrified by, they are not running both ways. Intensity against lower sides is incredibly low. I could feel the lack of intensity from the first bounce last week. It was palpable and I was viewing by stream. * that was bad. We need to mature very quickly if we want to play finals. We need to be able to blow lower sides away. We need to find the mongrel that is lacking in our game. We are far too soft. Far too nice. You don't win premiership being nice. The Hawks roughed our blokes up and we wilted like a faded rose. We need to get tough. If we don't we will be seen as a NICE footy team and other sides will start roughing our blokes up just like Hawks did. We will be seen as SOFT and they would not be wrong.

We need to come out this week and prove we are not soft. Port will rough us up and our blokes need to stand up and hit back. React by hitting the ball hard and work for each other. I saw several incidents where Hawks deliberately went for Wicks. Not because he is soft but deliberately because he is not. Our blokes did nothing and if they intervened it was weak. We need to change that culture very quickly. I am sure if,Blakey, Campbell or Gulden had have been in they would have been aggressive back.

If we do not bring intensity, aggression and spunk to this, game we get flogged. We need to go to war next week.

Fox out & Brand in.

Yes I agree Brand must come in. I would also bring Ling in for Cunningham, who probably won't come up. Wicks suspended so, I am not going to be popular here, Ronke in. As much as I thought Bell did his job last week and definitely wasn't the worst he will probably go out. I think Bell is better at HB not on a HFF. Probably Blakey comes back for Bell. The likes of Taylor, Grey, Clarke are just not good enough.

I think this backline is far better;
Fox, Brand, Lloyd
Rampe, McCartin, Dawson

Brand to Dixon
McCartin to Georgiades
Rampe to Rosie

We should at least be able to show why we let Aliir go, if anyone knows his game inside out and can exploit it we should
Aliir is weak when Port are losing the midfield battle and he is targetted one on one.

We will not win that battle nor can we kick to a one on one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back